+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Roxham road people

peace123

Star Member
Jul 11, 2019
say something

She could still apply for asylum even if she has past the 1 year limited deadline. She need a good reason to persuade to immigration officer. Therefore, she need advice from lawyer.

In additional , she could left USA for Mexico with her kid, then cross the US-Mexico border to the USA. She could get a new entrance date once she is arrested by ICE. Afterward she apply for asylum immediately. Reject to entrance into the USA is the risk of this way.

Once she decide to move to Canada, she could get limited welfare there. The amounts is about $1100 for 2 person. Meanwhile , she should consider the cold climate in winter in Canada. It could continue for half a year.

Reactions: justice22

justice22

Aug 16, 2022
say something

She could still apply for asylum even if she has past the 1 year limited deadline. She need a good reason to persuade to immigration officer. Therefore, she need advice from lawyer.

In additional , she could left USA for Mexico with her kid, then cross the US-Mexico border to the USA. She could get a new entrance date once she is arrested by ICE. Afterward she apply for asylum immediately. Reject to entrance into the USA is the risk of this way.

Once she decide to move to Canada, she could get limited welfare there. The amounts is about $1100 for 2 person. Meanwhile , she should consider the cold climate in winter in Canada. It could continue for half a year.
thank you for your input

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
As I said it depends on the school board. There are some school boards and cities that are sanctuary cities but there are others that aren’t where you can’t access services as a US citizen/visitor or access elementary and high school. You are talking about one school board. Every school board has their own rules. There will also be variability when it comes to accessing basic healthcare. For example in some cities visitors can get access to vaccinations for free through public health but in many others you have to show your provincial health card. In some cities there are some charities that provide access to basic healthcare for free on a limited basis but in many cities there aren’t any charities running access to free healthcare without IFHP or a provincial health card.

If OP’s child has any health issues they are likely covered by Medicaid or other program in the US. That would not be the case in Canada.
Child can attend school provided one parent has Refugee Claimant Document or has Work/Study Permit. Child status is not determinant to enrol in School District provided one parent is Asylum seeker, it is across all provinces in Canada. They both falls under Ministry Funded program.

Tamiou

Feb 5, 2021
Good afternoon yall!!
My cousin is trying to come there with her son born in the US to claim asylum ,she has been in the USA ,unable to file a claim because she passed the one year limit to claim asylum .she is single parent ,so questions
1. do you think she will be asked a consent paper from a parent that is no longer in their life?
2.as the child is american ,can she claim asylum for him.
3.is he going to be able to go to school (2nd grade elementary)right away or that will take time .
4.as the waiting time is bigger to get work permit ,how yall survive ?
5.are you guys get fed ,how much she needs to have to survive with her son .
Thank you in advance for your answers and any other extra info she needs to be ready to survive will be appreciated.

In Quebec, her child will go to school without any problem and will have health coverage. It's a fact. I don't know about other provinces. For housing she can share an apartment for the first year with the help she will receive from the government. I have seen people receiving their work permit in 3 to 6 months these days. If she has a good case, she can definitely try.

Last edited:

Enyidia

Jun 21, 2021
OP never said that their life was awful in the US. Applying for asylum when you have established a life in the US is a huge risk because once she leaves the US she will be banned from returning for 10 years. I never said they can never return to the US. Very few parents of US citizens from Mexico actually get to sponsor their parents to get a green card and if they do it takes over a decade and if a child is currently young multiple decades. If deported she will be deported to her home country not the US. Proving your life is at risk after not being in your home country for over a decade is much harder than proving your life is at risk having recently left your home country. She will also have to argue why she Didn’t attempt to seek asylum in the US if her life was at risk when she left her home country. Yes shelter is provided for a family with a young child but if you have decent housing and a support system in the US I wouldn‘t chose to enter the shelter system. It is not a good environment. As the number of asylum applicants increases and housing prices increase there is more and more people needing shelters. Yes you may get lucky and get a room for you and your child to share but there are others who share a room with another family with bunkbeds, some end up sleeping in gyms with hundreds of other people,etc. For families they do try and move kids out of places like gyms as soon as possible but you may end up sharing kitchens, bathrooms, etc. even if you get a room of your own. Even when you get your WP with the cost of living and level of welfare payments the housing that is accessible is also often not in a safe neighbourhood or in good condition. All her welfare payment or almost all would go to housing in locations where there are services for asylum seekers in most provinces. Quebec actually is more affordable than provinces like ON or BC which is why many immigrants settle there at least initially. Does she have childcare in the US? Realistically single parents really need to work at least one full-time job but often 2 to provide for more than the basics if you are making minimum wage or close to minimum. All these things need to be considered. If you have lived in theUS for as long as she has and have a US child the child has access to certain benefits in the US and you have established a life and usually a support system in the US. If she gets denied asylum, has to appeal, applies for JR and then applies for H&C that could be 5 year process easily if not longer. It is really important that OP speak to a Canadian immigration lawyer about their chances of getting approved and also consider whether the chance of potentially being able to stay in Canada is worth the risk of leaving the US. It’s also important to ask about how their length of time in the US will factor into their case, what their US child will have access to in Canada since they will not qualify for asylum as a US citizen, how long a ban will they get after leaving the US (based on my knowledge it is 10 years and there aren’t any guarantees they will get approved for a visitor visa after that), how will the amount of time in the US factor into proving that their life will be at risk in their home country, etc. It sounds like you case is very different than OPs. You can’t group all single mothers into the same category.
Hi. She will be banned for 10 years, assuming her asylum claim fails. In a scenario where she is granted refugee status, then she becomes a PR, she can try or wait till citizenship. Let’s also try to look through that vantage point.With Covid dying down hopefully it won’t take her all of the 10 years.

Last edited:

Enyidia

Jun 21, 2021
Good afternoon yall!!
My cousin is trying to come there with her son born in the US to claim asylum ,she has been in the USA ,unable to file a claim because she passed the one year limit to claim asylum .she is single parent ,so questions
1. do you think she will be asked a consent paper from a parent that is no longer in their life?
2.as the child is american ,can she claim asylum for him.
3.is he going to be able to go to school (2nd grade elementary)right away or that will take time .
4.as the waiting time is bigger to get work permit ,how yall survive ?
5.are you guys get fed ,how much she needs to have to survive with her son .
Thank you in advance for your answers and any other extra info she needs to be ready to survive will be appreciated.
Hi. I rarely respond to posts, but honestly some of what I’ve read on here is unbelievable!
I came to this country a single mother with an American born child. Accomodation at the shelters Quebec or Ontario is something anyone who’s ever lived comfortably would have to get used to. Besides this, if your friend has just her name on her child’s B.C then she is his sole caregiver and no one will ask about the father or consent. Her Child will be able to go to School in Quebec and Ontario, free of charge, I don’t have information about other places. In Quebec though, she should be willing to learn French.
Many people came here after many years of living in the US, should she have a strong claim though? Yes. She should be able to prove she and her child will be at risk in her home country. Depending on what country she’s from, being a single mother could play in her favour also.
As for money, there’s social assistance, amount depends on province.
Lastly most of us came here, not knowing what would become of us, there were good days, bad days, ugly days. Some people even got up to the Judicial review, but are permanent Residents today, either cos of Covid or H&C. There are those who got accepted easy and others after appeal.
Bottom line we all went through it, but most of us made it. It’s not all doom and gloom.
These things should be on her list.
1) Iron clad basis of claim
2) Fool proof evidence
3) A lawyer that knows the system
4)Prayer
5) Faith, Resilience and patience. She needs to be strong
The decision is yours or hers. American citizens aren’t mistreated in Canada

• Love
Reactions: justice22

Enyidia

Jun 21, 2021
If she is planning to cross over to canada she definitely knows it's not going to be a life of roses already. My point is your message seems to aim towards discouraging her from finding a better life. If her life in usa isn't worth staying there anymore there is definitely no harm in trying so there's no need discouraging her. You made it sound like the government here in canada are blood sucking demons. All I'm sure of is if she Is ready she will not suffer. I lived in usa so I'm not sure where you heard she can't return back. A rookie lawyer will even tell her she is opportune with that citizen child she has. Like for real; there is no way usa plays with their citizen and that's why if that child turns 18, he or she can return and file for his mother. That is how Mexicans in USA become legal later in future. Everyone here is here to survive including you. If everyone reads your message you'll be the only one in canada. If this person wants to come to canada she will definitely survive. My friends with kids stayed in the shelter till they got their work permit here in ontario. I dont know about other province but i know here in ontario mothers stay in shelter till wp arrives. I am ABSOLUTELY sure canada govt doesn't send anyone with their kids outside to die if there's no means to survive. I've never seen that and with all the people that crossed to canada too they were never left to die on the street. Common, canada is not like Uk! Like I said relax and let everyone survive without discouragement. The only thing that i think might be a problem is how she claims to lesbian and has a child. If she has no proof of rape then she better rethink her story. Thanks
Hi. I totally agree with your response, took the words right outta my mouth. We are all here surviving truly. Imagine reading some of these posts years ago, most of us wouldn’t have ventured here, but here we are almost forgetting the pain of the first few months here.
P.S she can be bisexual and had a baby with an ex but has been with only females ever since. I know ppl who switched from lesbian into bisexual claims.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi. I rarely respond to posts, but honestly some of what I’ve read on here is unbelievable!
I came to this country a single mother with an American born child. Accomodation at the shelters Quebec or Ontario is something anyone who’s ever lived comfortably would have to get used to. Besides this, if your friend has just her name on her child’s B.C then she is his sole caregiver and no one will ask about the father or consent. Her Child will be able to go to School in Quebec and Ontario, free of charge, I don’t have information about other places. In Quebec though, she should be willing to learn French.
Many people came here after many years of living in the US, should she have a strong claim though? Yes. She should be able to prove she and her child will be at risk in her home country. Depending on what country she’s from, being a single mother could play in her favour also.
Lastly most of us came here, not knowing what would become of us, there were good days, bad days, ugly days. Some people even got up to the Judicial review, but are permanent Residents today, either cos of Covid or H&C. There are those who got accepted easy and others after appeal.
Bottom line we all went through it, but most of us made it. It’s not all doom and gloom.
2) Fool proof evidence
4)Prayer
Canada has become more strict when it comes to people living in the US and then seeking asylum in Canada after a significant amount of time. Given the child’s age they would have been outside their home country for quite a long time. It becomes much harder to prove that your life is at risk in your home country if you haven’t lived there in the past decade. The person should be speaking to a Canadian immigration lawyer about their case before making any decisions because once they cross the border they can’t return to the US easily. Even when the child turns 18 it is still difficult to sponsor your parents or else there would be significantly less parents living illegally in the US with children who are citizens.

Mercy011

Jul 31, 2022
2) Fool proof evidence
4)Prayer
Honestly, thanks for commenting. I also relocated from united states and it's really sad when I read how some comments here were bent to discouraging her. I don't know if those people ever lived in United States. Everything you shared is absolutely correct. I Honestly can't explain why some people would want to share otherwise when they are not Even sure of US system. Discouraging people to come to canada doesn't affect one's claim here. For real...

Mercy011

Jul 31, 2022
Hi. I totally agree with your response, took the words right outta my mouth. We are all here surviving truly. Imagine reading some of these posts years ago, most of us wouldn’t have ventured here, but here we are almost forgetting the pain of the first few months here.
P.S she can be bisexual and had a baby with an ex but has been with only females ever since. I know ppl who switched from lesbian into bisexual claims.
True you're right. Bisexual will be safer with someone who has a child than being a lesbian. Thanks for sharing your story; better having truths being shared than lies and fears (you would wonder if those fears will speed up PR for people). I wish you all the best.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Honestly, thanks for commenting. I also relocated from united states and it's really sad when I read how some comments here were bent to discouraging her. I don't know if those people ever lived in United States. Everything you shared is absolutely correct. I Honestly can't explain why some people would want to share otherwise when they are not Even sure of US system. Discouraging people to come to canada doesn't affect one's claim here. For real...
Because there was a large number of people who had lived in the US who then sought asylum in Canada after a number of years the policies have changed and it has become harder to do so. The minister often gets involved now. Given the significant time spent in the US (and specifics of their case in general) the person should be consulting with a Canadian immigration lawyer about their case before attempting to come to Canada and not base their life on previous cases who have lived in the US being approved.

Mercy011

Jul 31, 2022
Because there was a large number of people who had lived in the US who then sought asylum in Canada after a number of years the policies have changed and it has become harder to do so. The minister often gets involved now. Given the significant time spent in the US (and specifics of their case in general) the person should be consulting with a Canadian immigration lawyer about their case before attempting to come to Canada and not base their life on previous cases who have lived in the US being approved.
Ok I see you're the immigration officer and even tbe judge. My response was to Enyidia who knows what I'm talking about. You tried.

Enyidia

Jun 21, 2021
Ok I see you're the immigration officer and even tbe judge. My response was to Enyidia who knows what I'm talking about. You tried.
Ahahahahaha. I never got updates from this topic! Yup…….. Some people are impossible, please there’s been minister’s intervention for a long time. This guy thinks threat to life has a life span or expiry date.
I’m glad you atleast share my opinions on the matter. I hope the lady made it here in time before this border shut down.Take care.

Enyidia

Jun 21, 2021
That’s been going on a long while now and for different reasons. Even for those who come directly from their countries.
One last thing, threat to life in most cases does not expire. A person can prove after 10 years that their life is still in danger.

Mercy011

Jul 31, 2022
Ahahahahaha. I never got updates from this topic! Yup…….. Some people are impossible, please there’s been minister’s intervention for a long time. This guy thinks threat to life has a life span or expiry date.
I’m glad you atleast share my opinions on the matter. I hope the lady made it here in time before this border shut down.Take care.
Lol yeah. The border has been closed from what I read in news tho so i hope the lady made it before. But best of luck to everyone still fighting. Keep praying and stay focused on positivity. It's been a hard worthwhile journey but God has been good. And having trust in Him had worked for me. All the best to everyone still waiting.