+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Roxham road people

justice22

Aug 16, 2022
Good afternoon yall!!
My cousin is trying to come there with her son born in the US to claim asylum ,she has been in the USA ,unable to file a claim because she passed the one year limit to claim asylum .she is single parent ,so questions
1. do you think she will be asked a consent paper from a parent that is no longer in their life?
2.as the child is american ,can she claim asylum for him.
3.is he going to be able to go to school (2nd grade elementary)right away or that will take time .
4.as the waiting time is bigger to get work permit ,how yall survive ?
5.are you guys get fed ,how much she needs to have to survive with her son .
Thank you in advance for your answers and any other extra info she needs to be ready to survive will be appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good afternoon yall!!
My cousin is trying to come there with her son born in the US to claim asylum ,she has been in the USA ,unable to file a claim because she passed the one year limit to claim asylum .she is single parent ,so questions
1. do you think she will be asked a consent paper from a parent that is no longer in their life?
2.as the child is american ,can she claim asylum for him.
3.is he going to be able to go to school (2nd grade elementary)right away or that will take time .
4.as the waiting time is bigger to get work permit ,how yall survive ?
5.are you guys get fed ,how much she needs to have to survive with her son .
Thank you in advance for your answers and any other extra info she needs to be ready to survive will be appreciated.
1. You need written constent from the other parent or you need to have sole legal custody awarded through the US courts.
2. I don't believe the child can be part of the asylum claim. However I'll allow others to comment on this.
3. Yes, the child will be able to attend school.
4. Some people get a work permit quite quickly and others wait more than a year. So you have to be prepared for both circumstances.
5. Not sure I understand this question.

justice22

Aug 16, 2022
1. You need written constent from the other parent or you need to have sole legal custody awarded through the US courts.
2. I don't believe the child can be part of the asylum claim. However I'll allow others to comment on this.
4. Some people get a work permit quite quickly and others wait more than a year. So you have to be prepared for both circumstances.
thank you so much for your answer ,the question 5 ,I wanted to know if food is provided and how much in money ,she might need to survive in the camp while waiting to work

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thank you so much for your answer ,the question 5 ,I wanted to know if food is provided and how much in money ,she might need to survive in the camp while waiting to work
Food is not provided. There is a small social assistance payment that is provided. I will let others confirm how much that is.

Reactions: justice22

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am so sorry to ask you again ,she said on the birth certificate ,it is only her the mother name ,no father name ,plus right now she does not know where this man is ,so what can she do about that
I don't know. See what others say. She may also need to consult with a lawyer in the US at some point.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
for 2, Child cannot be part of the asylum claim, but is a dependant

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that as a visitor some provinces and cities may not allow your child to go to school. You should enquire in the specific school district. The child can not be part of the asylum claim and will only be able to be added as a dependent if the mother is approved for asylum. The child will also not have healthcare coverage fir potentially years so you will need to pay out of pocket for routine care and will need to purchase emergency travel medical insurance to cover potential medical emergencies that may be very expensive to treat. If the child is in grade 2 the mother has likely been in the US for a long time. It becomes much harder to prove that your life is at risk in your home country if you haven’t lived in the country for such a long time. What country is she from and what is the reason for seeking asylum (whatever you are willing to disclose)? Once she leaves the US she is looking at a 10 year ban from reentering the US. I would really suggest consulting with a Canadian immigration lawyer about her chances of approval since once she leaves there is no going back to the US and if denied would be deported back to her home country. Welfare payments are very small so she will need to work to support her family. If it takes a year to get a WP it will be a very tough year if She has no savings. She may need to depend on charity for things like food. Affordable housing is difficult to find and some cities will be unaffordable unless living with roommates and sharing a room with her daughter. If you get denied asylum then there are lots of longterm negative consequences not just potential deportation to your home country so please seek out advice from a lawyer before trying to cross the border.

justice22

Aug 16, 2022
Would add that as a visitor some provinces and cities may not allow your child to go to school. You should enquire in the specific school district. The child can not be part of the asylum claim and will only be able to be added as a dependent if the mother is approved for asylum. The child will also not have healthcare coverage fir potentially years so you will need to pay out of pocket for routine care and will need to purchase emergency travel medical insurance to cover potential medical emergencies that may be very expensive to treat. If the child is in grade 2 the mother has likely been in the US for a long time. It becomes much harder to prove that your life is at risk in your home country if you haven’t lived in the country for such a long time. What country is she from and what is the reason for seeking asylum (whatever you are willing to disclose)? Once she leaves the US she is looking at a 10 year ban from reentering the US. I would really suggest consulting with a Canadian immigration lawyer about her chances of approval since once she leaves there is no going back to the US and if denied would be deported back to her home country. Welfare payments are very small so she will need to work to support her family. If it takes a year to get a WP it will be a very tough year if She has no savings. She may need to depend on charity for things like food. Affordable housing is difficult to find and some cities will be unaffordable unless living with roommates and sharing a room with her daughter. If you get denied asylum then there are lots of longterm negative consequences not just potential deportation to your home country so please seek out advice from a lawyer before trying to cross the border.
Woww ,thank you so much for all these informations ,I dont think she knew that ,she is from Africa ,and she would rather die than going back ,I dont have all the details of her claim ,but she is lgbt and always been, family members and ex that is powerful in the country pushed her to run away from the country ,she was not lucky to be well guided when she got in the US,so she did not claim asylum right away ,she did not know about the one year limit to claim.She watched a documentary on Roxham road so she decided to go there for her claim.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Woww ,thank you so much for all these informations ,I dont think she knew that ,she is from Africa ,and she would rather die than going back ,I dont have all the details of her claim ,but she is lgbt and always been, family members and ex that is powerful in the country pushed her to run away from the country ,she was not lucky to be well guided when she got in the US,so she did not claim asylum right away ,she did not know about the one year limit to claim.She watched a documentary on Roxham road so she decided to go there for her claim.
How long has she been outside her home country? Does she have proof that she has been in same sex relationships or proof that she is a part of the lgbtqia+ population. Evidence since adolescence or from early adulthood not just recent evidence is required. Only very recent proof would be suspicious. Does she have any personal proof that her life was at risk in her home country? Records of threats, hospitalizations, etc. She had a child so she was either assaulted, had fertility treatments (formal or informal), was in a relationship with the someone of the opposite sex, etc. That will likely come up inher asylum claim. If she is bisexual does she have proof of her being in relationships with men and women throughout her life. Pictures, texts/emails/letters, proof of living together, etc. is there proof that her home country is very anti-lgbtqia+? Some countries have very clear anti-lgbtqia+ policies and lots of media records of what type of punishments members of the community have received including sadly being killed. Does she have extra savings to support herself while she waits around 8-12 months to get a work permit and start working. Although not necessary, without savings her living conditions and ability to provide basic necessities for her and her child will be very challenging if she is dependent on welfare only. As a mother with her child in Canada as well she will have to think about her current lifestyle in the US and the the difficulties in providing her child the basic necessities if she has no savings and comes to Canada. You can look up the welfare rate per province online. Any form of payments from the government to help pay for the high cost of raising a child in Canada are not available to asylum claimants. Does she have friends and family in Canada to support her and what does she have in terms of support in the US? She will need to consider the change in lifestyle from the US to Canada. If she has a very good lifestyle in the US coming to aCanada and facing the struggle to provide housing and food may be difficult. It is certainly possible just something she needs to consider and be aware of the challenges if she does come to Canada to try and secure permanent status. Does she have permission to travel with her child from the child’s father? Does she have full custody? Does she documentation of all of this? i would still suggest consulting with a Canadian immigration lawyer (not consultant) of her chances of getting accepted as a protected person given her case and proof she has to back up her claims. Once she leaves the US she won’t be able to return for a very long time.

Last edited:
  • Love

justice22

Aug 16, 2022
How long has she been outside her home country? Does she have proof that she has been in same sex relationships or proof that she is a part of the lgbtqia+ population. Evidence since adolescence or from early adulthood not just recent evidence is required. Only very recent proof would be suspicious. Does she have any personal proof that her life was at risk in her home country? Records of threats, hospitalizations, etc. She had a child so she was either assaulted, had fertility treatments (formal or informal), was in a relationship with the someone of the opposite sex, etc. That will likely come up inher asylum claim. If she is bisexual does she have proof of her being in relationships with men and women throughout her life. Pictures, texts/emails/letters, proof of living together, etc. is there proof that her home country is very anti-lgbtqia+? Some countries have very clear anti-lgbtqia+ policies and lots of media records of what type of punishments members of the community have received including sadly being killed. Does she have extra savings to support herself while she waits around 8-12 months to get a work permit and start working. Although not necessary without savings her living conditions and ability to provide basic necessities for her and her child will be very challenging if she is dependent on welfare only. As a mother with her child in Canada as well she will have to think about her current lifestyle and the the difficulties in providing her child the basic necessities if she has no savings and comes to Canada. You can look up the welfare rate per province online. Any form of payments from the government to help pay for the high cost of raising a child in Canada are not available to asylum claimants. Does she have friends and family in Canada to support her and what does she have in terms of support n the US? She will need to consider the change in lifestyle from the US to Canada. If she has a very good lifestyle in the US coming to aCanada and facing the struggle to provide housing and food may be difficult. It is certainly possiblecjust something she needs to consider and be aware of the challenges if she does come to Canada to try and secure permanent status. Does she have permission to travel with her child from the child’s father? Does she have full custody? Does she documentation of all of this? i would still suggest consulting with a Canadian immigration lawyer (not consultant) of her chances of getting accepted as a protected person given her case and proof she has to back up her claims. Once she leaves the US she won’t be able to return for a very long time.
She definitely needs to consult with a lawyer ,it is too challenging,thank you so much for your answers

Reactions: canuck78

Mercy011

Jul 31, 2022
I am so sorry to ask you again ,she said on the birth certificate ,it is only her the mother name ,no father name ,plus right now she does not know where this man is ,so what can she do about that
If the mother's name is the only thing on the birth certificate then she would not be asked any letter from the father at the border. She will be drilled on why she can't ask for asylum at usa. They will inform her regardless of the one year grace that had passed she could still apply. So it's best she has another reason she could say. The wait time for eligibility hearing is long but they will email her after some months that they want to move it up. Her child is a us citizen so doesn't need asylum so I guess (not sure) he will be allowed to study and stay as a resident here. It's a good thing she has a us citizen child. In future there's still hope for her to return to usa regardless of the ban. There is social assistance and they will help her get a shelter to stay till she can find a house she can rent. The social assistance for a single mother is better so she can survive without worries. The time she will be in shelter might not be sweet cos shelter isn't honestly good but if she's ready to endure all of it will pass soon.