+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RO shortfall - when to renew PR

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
"I had the information...". But where did you get this bad information?
I had consulted with a couple of RCIC consultants and received this information from one of them. Thank you to the experts in the group to correct my understand.

Going by what @Ponga has mentioned,
"A submitted application to extend does give Maintained Status"
Just to confirm, when we submit the extension application and the immediate confirmation email that we get from IRCC upon submission is sufficient "proof" that one can continue to stay in Canada until we hear back from IRCC with a decision ? The reason for these questions is, reading through some of the other anecdotal posts in the forum, sometimes the extension was approved only for a couple of months instead of full 6 more months (or more). Canada.ca mentions to apply atleast 30 days before expiry, I fear if we apply closer to when current status expires, do we run the risk of running out of status. Cynical as I might sound, it has been a humbling experience from Visa/immigration perspective to bring my family here.

Appreciate your time and advice!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I had consulted with a couple of RCIC consultants and received this information from one of them. Thank you to the experts in the group to correct my understand.
If they are Canadian based consultants you should complain.

Your language implies one of the consultants suggested this and the others (multiple) did not. Is that right? Seems odd to follow the advice of the outlier.

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
If they are Canadian based consultants you should complain.

Your language implies one of the consultants suggested this and the others (multiple) did not. Is that right? Seems odd to follow the advice of the outlier.
Well, to be honest the one who gave this information was trusted by another friend who has used the consultant's services multiple times. The other consultant did not come out as completely reliable with inconsistencies and typos in some of the paperwork that I filed using their services.

Can anyone help with the below question ?
Just to confirm, when we submit the extension application and the immediate confirmation email that we get from IRCC upon submission is sufficient "proof" that one can continue to stay in Canada until we hear back from IRCC with a decision ? The reason for these questions is, reading through some of the other anecdotal posts in the forum, sometimes the extension was approved only for a couple of months instead of full 6 more months (or more). Canada.ca mentions to apply atleast 30 days before expiry, I fear if we apply closer to when current status expires, do we run the risk of running out of status.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Going by what @Ponga has mentioned,

Just to confirm, when we submit the extension application and the immediate confirmation email that we get from IRCC upon submission is sufficient "proof" that one can continue to stay in Canada until we hear back from IRCC with a decision ? The reason for these questions is, reading through some of the other anecdotal posts in the forum, sometimes the extension was approved only for a couple of months instead of full 6 more months (or more). Canada.ca mentions to apply atleast 30 days before expiry, I fear if we apply closer to when current status expires, do we run the risk of running out of status. Cynical as I might sound, it has been a humbling experience from Visa/immigration perspective to bring my family here.

Appreciate your time and advice!
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

All temporary residents have an automatically imposed condition that they must leave Canada at the end of their authorized period of stay. However, as per section R181, a temporary resident may apply to extend their period of authorized stay before it ends. If they have done so, their period of authorized stay as a temporary resident is extended by law until a decision is made [R183(5)]. Such a person is considered to have legal status as a temporary resident during the processing period.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had the information that AOR on PR application allows them to continue to stay in Canada on current status until decision on PR is made by CIC.

Is the recommendation to apply for Visitor Visa renewal closer to the stay expiry or as soon as possible ?
Secondly can anyone help with guidance on whether we should apply for extension of 6 months or more (1 year) ? Meaning does 2nd option gets looked at unfavorably by CIC or will they consider 1 year extension as a reasonable request with the PR application being in process.

Thanks
AOR on an OWP gives them implied status not sponsorship application. That is pretty basic knowledge for an immigration consultant to know

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Well, to be honest the one who gave this information was trusted by another friend who has used the consultant's services multiple times. The other consultant did not come out as completely reliable with inconsistencies and typos in some of the paperwork that I filed using their services.

Can anyone help with the below question ?
The only "excuse" would be the consultant has outdated information and assume that a paper based OWP can be submitted with the inland sponsorship application. Then the OWP would give the PA implied status. BUT since Sept 2022, only IRCC only accepts online sponsorship application and OWP cannot be submitted at the same time any more.

But again, this is pretty basic and that's why I said that consultant may not be the best source of information. (outdate information is bad information)
your friend may be lucky or your friend applications were not family sponosorship related (consultant may be doing all kinds of applications and visitor vs worker permit vs EE vs sponsorship applications are all very different)

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
The only "excuse" would be the consultant has outdated information and assume that a paper based OWP can be submitted with the inland sponsorship application. Then the OWP would give the PA implied status. BUT since Sept 2022, only IRCC only accepts online sponsorship application and OWP cannot be submitted at the same time any more.

But again, this is pretty basic and that's why I said that consultant may not be the best source of information. (outdate information is bad information)
your friend may be lucky or your friend applications were not family sponosorship related (consultant may be doing all kinds of applications and visitor vs worker permit vs EE vs sponsorship applications are all very different)
Thank you again for the insights.

I am applying for Visitor Visa extension for my spouse and child. They are close to 5 months in their first 6 month stay in Canada. Would asking for 1 year (until April 2024) extension pose questions from IRCC ? Or should 6 months and a further 6 months (if needed in lieu of PR) be better option ?

Thanks

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
Thank you again for the insights.

I am applying for Visitor Visa extension for my spouse and child. They are close to 5 months in their first 6 month stay in Canada. Would asking for 1 year (until April 2024) extension pose questions from IRCC ? Or should 6 months and a further 6 months (if needed in lieu of PR) be better option ?

Thanks
Just to update if it might help anyone else. We received the Visitor Visa extension for 1 year in April. Subsequently got the PR approved in August. Waiting for the PR cards.
I am going to wait until I am back in RO before I try renewing PR card.

Appreciate all for the valuable insights.

Reactions: armoured

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
Hi All,
Not sure if this is not the right sub-forum to get clarity on the below. I had received OINP which helped me get my PR. I have been in Ontario close to 19 months and intend to live here for at least 3-4 months more. If I move to another province before I renew my PR Card (mid of 2024) or get it approved, will it be a negative factor for renewal or is that considered only for Citizenship process ?

Appreciate insights.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,
Not sure if this is not the right sub-forum to get clarity on the below. I had received OINP which helped me get my PR. I have been in Ontario close to 19 months and intend to live here for at least 3-4 months more. If I move to another province before I renew my PR Card (mid of 2024) or get it approved, will it be a negative factor for renewal or is that considered only for Citizenship process ?

Appreciate insights.
You can move anywhere in Canada. There are no restrictions.

Reactions: manikmonday

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In that case, during PR renewal or Citizenship process, the OINP nomination is not considered "voilated" or "abused" ?
No, it's not. Again, you can live anywhere.

Reactions: manikmonday

wajahatid

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
18-11-2018
Thanks for the insights of everyone who replied. I went with the option to apply for family sponsorship, though there being a risk of triggering a RO review. This was for some personal factors which were deliberated before making this decision.

Since my family is in Canada on Visitor Visa and their 6 month stay clocks out by April end, would the recommendation be to apply visitor visa extension closer to mid April and hope to get an AOR for Spousal sponsorship by mid April which will enable them to continue to stay in Canada until decision on their PR application? Or is it safer to apply for Visitor Visa extension by end of March and hopefully get their visitor stay extension approved for whatever duration CIC grants and by then the PR AOR might come through ?

Thanks
You did the right thing. I consulted 3 different immigration lawyer as I am in breach of RO whether to apply for my wife's sponsorship or not.

All of them said Wife sponsorship does not trigger an RO review so apply, but all of them did say do not apply for the renewal of PR.