+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RO is not met. Easy option to renter without a valid PR card?

Tenet2020

May 31, 2020
Dear all,
Please suggest me what is an easiest and best option for me?

I had 730 days when I left Canada years ago (Please don’t judge me why I left).
But now, my PR card is expired and I have not met RO obviously (70 days short). My family is in Canada and they have PR or citizenship.

PR card is expired two months ago.

I am done with my abroad thing, and I would like to return to Canada permanently now. What are my safe options?
Shall I renounce PR and reapply for TRV or PR (I have Canadian education) or shall I enter through US border (I have US visa) with expired PR card?
Whatever the case, I can’t afford to stay away from family.

please suggest me what will be the safest option?

Expert advice please.
Thanks a lot.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear all,

But now, my PR card is expired and I have not met RO obviously (70 days short). My family is in Canada and they have PR or citizenship.

I am done with my abroad thing, and I would like to return to Canada permanently now. What are my safe options?
Shall I renounce PR and reapply for TRV or PR (I have Canadian education) or shall I enter through US border (I have US visa) with expired PR card?

Expert advice please.
Thanks a lot.
If you renounced your PR status and apply for a TRV, this will only allow you to enter Canada as a tourist temporarily - not live or stay here. A TRV will not allow you to return to Canada permanently.

You could apply for PR from scratch. Have you determined your chances of succeeding? How many points do you have under the Express Entry program? This is the safest option provided you have enough points to be selected.

Yes, you can try flying to the U.S. and then re-entering Canada through a U.S. / Canada land border. If you are able to enter Canada without being reported for failing to meet RO, then you can remain in Canada for 2 years and then renew your PR card. If you are reported, you will have to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status even though you haven't met RO. Unless you have strong H&C reasons for having remained outside of Canada, there's a good chance you'll lose your PR status. If you want to try this option, don't do it now while travel restrictions are in place due to COVID-19 and only essential travel is allowed. Wait until these restrictions have been lifted. Right now these restrictions are in place until the end of June.

Reactions: asaeed100

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear all,

Expert advice please.
Thanks a lot.
Just to add to my response above, do you have a spouse in Canada who is either a PR or citizen? If so, then you can also renounce and they can sponsor you for PR.

Tenet2020

May 31, 2020
thanks a lot for your reply.

If you renounced your PR status and apply for a TRV, this will only allow you to enter Canada as a tourist temporarily - not live or stay here. A TRV will not allow you to return to Canada permanently.

yes- I forgot that.

You could apply for PR from scratch. Have you determined your chances of succeeding? How many points do you have under the Express Entry program? This is the safest option provided you have enough points to be selected.

I have enough points- about 500

Yes, you can try flying to the U.S. and then re-entering Canada through a U.S. / Canada land border. If you are able to enter Canada without being reported for failing to meet RO, then you can remain in Canada for 2 years and then renew your PR card. If you are reported, you will have to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status even though you haven't met RO. Unless you have strong H&C reasons for having remained outside of Canada, there's a good chance you'll lose your PR status. If you want to try this option, don't do it now while travel restrictions are in place due to COVID-19 and only essential travel is allowed. Wait until these restrictions have been lifted. Right now these restrictions are in place until the end of June.
[/QUOTE]

‘I guess my best bet is to try entering from USA, so that if successful, I can also avoid the administrative procedures - collecting all the documents for reapplication

Reactions: asaeed100

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes. My spouse is a PR
Then as long as your spouse meets RO, you could also renounce your PR and have your spouse sponsor you.

Tenet2020

May 31, 2020
Just wondering if there were any cases where the People (with expired PR card and RO nor met) were allowed at the POE from US?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thanks a lot for your reply.

yes- I forgot that.

I have enough points- about 500

‘I guess my best bet is to try entering from USA, so that if successful, I can also avoid the administrative procedures - collecting all the documents for reapplication.
[/QUOTE]

If you have 500 points, then you should be easily selected through Express Entry. You would need to renounce your PR status first before submitting an Express Entry profile and receiving ITA. Also note FSW draws are on hold at this time and we don't know when they will restart. If you have at least 1 year of Canadian work experience within the last 3 years, you can qualify under CEC. Draws under CEC are still taking place. Lastly, make sure you aren't counting the 50 points for having a job offer in Canada unless you have an approved LMIA - also you cannot count any points for your spouse since they are already a PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just wondering if there were any cases where the People (with expired PR card and RO nor met) were allowed at the POE from US?
Do you mean right now under COVID-19 or generally?

If generally, then you will definitely be allowed in. It's a question of whether you'll be reported for failure to meet RO or not.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the clarification. I meant in general if anyone was allowed without reporting.
Some people get in without being reported and others are reported. It's really not possible to give you the chances of whether you will be reported or not.

Tenet2020

May 31, 2020
‘I guess my best bet is to try entering from USA, so that if successful, I can also avoid the administrative procedures - collecting all the documents for reapplication.
If you have 500 points, then you should be easily selected through Express Entry. You would need to renounce your PR status first before submitting an Express Entry profile and receiving ITA. Also note FSW draws are on hold at this time and we don't know when they will restart. If you have at least 1 year of Canadian work experience within the last 3 years, you can qualify under CEC. Draws under CEC are still taking place. Lastly, make sure you aren't counting the 50 points for having a job offer in Canada unless you have an approved LMIA - also you cannot count any points for your spouse since they are already a PR.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I just checked with a third party online calculator and got 520 points, which could be wrong as well. I have a Canadian PhD and no CEC in the last three years. But worked before that.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I just checked with a third party online calculator and got 520 points, which could be wrong as well. I have a Canadian PhD and no CEC in the last three years. But worked before that.
[/QUOTE]

Recommend using the IRCC calculator.

Tenet2020

May 31, 2020
Some people get in without being reported and others are reported. It's really not possible to give you the chances of whether you will be reported or not.
Yes, I understand. I was just thinking if there were some cases that slipped though the cracks. I will be happy if I get that too. :)