+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

REVOKE ONGOING APPLICATION - Advice pls

Josh10

May 29, 2020
Hi there,

I am the main applicant and my spouse has used me to get the pr ... she is waiting to divorce me after I get her the pr... I have decided to divorce her beforehand.
Being the primary applicant will it affect the current process ( the score in any way) or should I revoke this application and start a separate process

I don't have any clarity. please guide me.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Removing her from your application will only improve your score.

Just list her as non-accompanying spouse until your divorce is finalised.

Josh10

May 29, 2020
Thank you Islander.

But if I list her as non-accompanying.. will they not recalculate my score.
If they recalculate my score with her still as a dependent I will get lesser score than getting separated right? I am a bit confused here.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
They will recalculate your score, however they recalculate it as if you are a single person if you list her as non-accompanying spouse.

This means your points will be the same as if you applied as a single person, it's only people who are married with their spouse accompanying them who lose points, because your spouse then has access to points based on their language test results, education, and Canadian work experience.

So you will only gain points according to the CRS criteria if you list her as non-accompanying spouse.

Josh10

May 29, 2020
Okay... So after recalculating the score will they be starting from scratch and i'll have to wait for 6 more months or will they move with the rest of the process?

Karenbrown

Jan 6, 2020
They will recalculate your score, however they recalculate it as if you are a single person if you list her as non-accompanying spouse.

This means your points will be the same as if you applied as a single person, it's only people who are married with their spouse accompanying them who lose points, because your spouse then has access to points based on their language test results, education, and Canadian work experience.

So you will only gain points according to the CRS criteria if you list her as non-accompanying spouse.
I have a similar situation , i have a kid who will be accompanying me . Still can i list my spouse as not accompanying and wait for ppr or should i inform IRCC as seperated ?
if am not seperated and i just make spouse not accompanying it will be like i have a spouse so my score will not boost ( it will be my previous score minus score from the dependent) or will it increase ?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Okay... So after recalculating the score will they be starting from scratch and i'll have to wait for 6 more months or will they move with the rest of the process?
Have you already received an ITA and submitted your application for PR?

If you have then, you would need to amend your application although i'm not sure if that section of your application is locked or not. You would have to check that, if it's not locked then you can change your spouse as non-accompanying, and send them a webform stating why you have done so. If it is locked, then send them a webform stating that you want to list your spouse as non-accompanying because you are separating pending a final divorce.

Last edited:

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I have a similar situation , i have a kid who will be accompanying me . Still can i list my spouse as not accompanying and wait for ppr or should i inform IRCC as seperated ?
if am not seperated and i just make spouse not accompanying it will be like i have a spouse so my score will not boost ( it will be my previous score minus score from the dependent) or will it increase ?
I'm assuming you are the main applicant.

As I stated, i'm unsure whether this part of your application is locked or not post-AOR, if it's still editable you can change your spouse as non-accompanying. But if it's locked then submit a webform stating you want to list him as non-accompanying because you're separating.

I think it's preferable to inform them by webform as well even if you can change your spouse as non-accompanying on your application. They will want to know why there is a change in status.

Josh10

May 29, 2020
Thank you so much. I will raise a webform informing them since its been 6months since my AOR I will not be able to change the spouse part as non-accompanying now. I hope they do recalculate, treat me as single and the score doesn't get affected as well.