+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Revised Federal Skilled Worker Program 2013

carloygay

Aug 9, 2012
Hello. I'm a bit worried with the recent changes of the Federal Skilled Worker Program due early next year as the CIC will be implementing it into full force. This is specifically accounted for the Language Proficiency exam quoted below:

(a) Revised FSWC points system for managers/professionals/technicians

Specific features of the regulatory changes proposed to the points system include the following.

Requiring a minimum level of language proficiency. CIC proposes to recognize the importance of language to socio-economic integration by (1) requiring minimum language abilities in order to qualify for the program; and (2) significantly increasing the maximum points awarded for fluency in one official language from 16 points to 24 points. Under the proposed Regulations, the Minister would fix the language threshold according to criteria set out in the Regulations. The Regulations would also provide that the Minister would communicate that threshold publicly. Initially, it is anticipated that the threshold would be set at Canadian Language Benchmark 7 (CLB 7) or Niveau de compétence linguistique canadien 7 (NCLC 7) for all four abilities (speaking, oral comprehension, reading and writing). This threshold corresponds to having “adequate intermediate proficiency.” The CLB and NCLC are recognized as the official Canadian standards for describing, measuring and recognizing the language proficiency of adult immigrants and prospective immigrants in both English and French.
The number of points for the second official language would be reduced from 8 points to 4 points, for abilities at level CLB 5 and above, in response to research and feedback from stakeholders, noting the lack of evidence that this factor contributes to positive economic outcomes for the majority of applicants. Bilingualism would continue to be rewarded in the selection system, in recognition of the IRPA’s objectives related to official language minority communities and respecting the bilingual character of Canada. With these changes, language proficiency would become the most important factor on the grid, representing a total of 28 points, an increase from 24 points, in recognition of its critical importance in ensuring positive economic outcomes.

QUESTION: In view of these aforementioned changes, would it be possible that they require the highest score in each category?
QUESTION: If I would take an IELTS Exam within this year 2012, would it be possible that my application via agency will be affected by the recent
guidelines?

I BADLY NEED AN EXPERT TO MAKE THINGS CLEARER AND TRANSPARENT FOR ME. PLEASE KINDLY HELP. DOES IT MEAN THAT I NEED TO HAVE A SCORE OF 8 OR 9 IN ALL CATEGORIES?

much_mann

Star Member
Feb 12, 2012
b]Language proficiency [up to 24 points for first language and up to 4 points for the second official language]
- CIC proposes "(1) requiring minimum language abilities in order to qualify for the program; and (2) significantly increasing the maximum points awarded for fluency in one official language from 16 points to 24 points."
- "The number of points for the second official language would be reduced from 8 points to 4 points"
- Eligibility and points:
* First official language
° Minimum threshold in all abilities initially set at CLB/NCLC 7 - this would also grant 4 points per ability
° CLB/NCLC 8: 5 points per ability
° CLB/NCLC 9: 6 points per ability
* Second official language
° Maximum of 4 points awarded for at least CLB/NCLC 5 in all abilities
[/b]

See cut section of post above on the thread started by OhCanadiana. You will need a minimum of 6 in each ability to give you a total of 16 language points to start and as your IELTS score gets better, you get more points to give a total of 24pts that is 6pts for each ability.

Without a minimum score of 6 in each ability, you will not even qualify in the first instance to apply under the FSWC