Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
April 5th 2010
Passport Req..
July 19th 2010
LANDED..........
August 11, 2010
Hi all, our situation is slightly different since we're Canadian citizens returning to Canada after spending 5 years in the USA. However, I wanted to share my experience about the actual border crossing via land in hopes that it might help someone else :)

Moving:
We hired a moving company to take our goods from New York into Canada. Because the truck actually arrived before we did, we gave power of attorney to my cousin in order to clear our belongings for us so that when we arrived, the truck could come the following day to deliver our things. That process was actually fairly simple and he was in and out in about 20 minutes. As a side note, I also wired him money so he could buy groceries for us to put in our new place before we got there, therefore making quarantining easier.

Crossing:
We crossed at the Lewiston bridge on Wednesday 7/15. There were about 4 cars in all and two booths open. I had my two daughters with me and our dog (my husband is meeting us in Canada a week later). The gentleman at customs was really nice - asked all the basic questions (anything to declare, how long have you been outside Canada, etc). He also asked if we've had any symptoms of covid (we didn't) and what our quarantine plan is. Then he read a statement regarding the penalties if we didn't follow the guidelines of quarantine. I told him that our goods have already been cleared and he said in that case he doesn't need the declaration sheet (the B4 I think it is). I had a copy of it anyway...

I actually imported the car, or the first step of it anyway, that day. We pulled over to a separate parking lot and another person came out and she did all that paperwork. The only thing she wanted was the title of the car and then there's a form to fill out.

All in all, it took about half an hour, with the majority of it on the car importation.

Things he didn't ask for (but had on me just in case because I'm an over-prepared dork lol):
My dog's rabies vaccination
Letter of consent from my husband to travel internationally with our children
Lease in Toronto
Job offer in Toronto

We drove to Toronto to our new home (my friend picked up our keys for us and put them in our mailbox) and I ordered pizza to fulfill my promise to the kiddos lol

It was all in all, a very easy entry. For the record, it's now Sunday 7/19 and no one has called or come by to check if we're obeying the rules (we are). If and when that happens I'll put an update to let y'all know what they do/ask/say.

Good luck to all of you and if you have any questions, let me know!

atheiven

Nov 11, 2021
I am planning to do the same. After living in US for 18 years, moving back to Toronto. I am planning to import my cars. Did you have to pay sales tax when you registered the car in the Canada? I ask because i had just bought a car in Seattle a year ago and had to pay a hefty 11% fee (the car was $45k so tax was $5k). I would hate to have to pay sales tax again in Ontario . Thanks!

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
I am planning to do the same. After living in US for 18 years, moving back to Toronto. I am planning to import my cars. Did you have to pay sales tax when you registered the car in the Canada? I ask because i had just bought a car in Seattle a year ago and had to pay a hefty 11% fee (the car was $45k so tax was $5k). I would hate to have to pay sales tax again in Ontario . Thanks!
As someone who is considering the opposite move (Canada -> US), do you mind me asking what makes you think of coming back to Canada? I realise it could be a personal question, you don't need to answer if you dont want to. As you spent 18 years over there, though your opinion would be interesting. Thanks