+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to India after applying for Citizenship

AzureGekko

Mar 27, 2023
HI,
I submitted an online application for getting canadian citizenship on 11-Dec-22 and got AOR on 04-Jan-2023.
Currently Background verification and Citizenship test are in completed status
Language skills , Physical presence, Prohibitions and Citizenship ceremony are inprogress status

I will have to return to India for like a year or two.. the address i have given in my application is my sisters house so any physical mail from CIC wont be an issue.

I have a few queries regarding moving to India and how it would affect the application for citizenship...

1. Will there be any issues if I return to India?
2. Are there any reason that CIC will ask me to come back to Canada prematurely?
3. Do I have to update CIC that I have left for India?
4. Based on my understanding if there are no issues it take about 6 months to receive oath taking ceremony? is this correct? if i delay my travel to July can be done with everything?

more info
Type: Online Application
Physical Presence: >1095 Days
Application: Single
Application Sent: December 11, 2022
AOR: January 04, 2023
Application filed: Jan 4, 2023
Background Completed: Feb 8, 2023
Test Invite Received: Feb 17, 2023
Test Completed: Mar 7, 2023

Last edited:

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
This has been discussed / debated extensively in quite a few threads. Almost all your questions would have been answered.

akhileshtekchand

Star Member
Aug 17, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC-O
AOR Received.
20-02-2020
Med's Done....
03-02-2020
depending on when your oath is scheduled, you're likely going to have to come back to do that, and should be within a year based on your timeline

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI,
I submitted an online application for getting canadian citizenship on 11-Dec-22 and got AOR on 04-Jan-2023.
Language skills , Physical presence, Prohibitions and Citizenship ceremony are inprogress status

I will have to return to India for like a year or two.. the address i have given in my application is my sisters house so any physical mail from CIC wont be an issue.

I have a few queries regarding moving to India and how it would affect the application for citizenship...

2. Are there any reason that CIC will ask me to come back to Canada prematurely?
4. Based on my understanding if there are no issues it take about 6 months to receive oath taking ceremony? is this correct? if i delay my travel to July can be done with everything?

more info
You can take Oath ceremony outside of Canada. In addition, you can also surrender you Indian passport, get Canadian passport and Entry visa to India , all these things done while staying in India. I will be doing the same thing once I get my Oath ceremony. Goodluck

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
HI,

more info
1- NO
2-IF YOU INFORM CIC YOUR APPLICATION PUT HOLD UNTIL YOU COME BACK IN CANADA AND INFORMIRCC WITH PROOF I AM IN CANADA(GET YOUR APPLICATION COMPLICATED CALL NON ROUTINE)
3-IF YOU INFORM APPLICATION ON HOLD
4- UNTIL JULY IS CHANCE 50-50 BECAUSE PROBATION HOW MUCH TIME TAKE NO ONE KNOW
5- KEEP IN MIND FOR OATH AND ANY PAPER WORK MUST DO IN CANADA

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

There are logistical and procedural risks for applicants who are abroad for extended periods of time. As @akbardxb commented, there are numerous topics and a lot of discussion here about extended stays abroad after applying. Doing this is NOT prohibited. Being abroad after applying does not affect a PR's eligibility for citizenship unless they fail to comply with the PR Residency Obligation.

The nature and scope of the risks vary considerably, depending a lot on the particular circumstances. The logistical risks associated with failing to return to Canada in time to attend a scheduled event, for example, are obviously greater for someone living/staying on another continent, and some locations more so than others, than for a PR who is living a few hours drive away in the U.S. Likewise, the procedural risk of RQ-related non-routine processing will vary considerably, those applying with a very small margin over the minimum and returning to a long-term home or employment abroad, after applying, obviously have a higher risk than someone who applied with a big margin and has gone abroad to attend a particular educational program not available in Canada.

While applying with precisely 1095 days meets the presence requirement, assuming IRCC accepts that without question, that tends to elevate the risk of at least some non-routine requests. And in conjunction with staying abroad for an extended period of time, increases the risk of being required to participate in an interview, while in Canada, if not subject to more robust RQ-related non-routine requests.

BUT it would be mostly guessing for anyone here to say what your particular risks are. If you are interested in understanding the risks better, again there are many topics and discussions here to peruse. Up to you to do the homework. Be aware this subject tends to invite conflicting views and even some controversy, so it requires reading the posts employing critical thinking skills.

IRCC (has not been CIC for nearly a decade) will not ask citizenship applicants to return to Canada. They might schedule in-person events which the applicant needs to attend IN Canada, or certain online events which require the applicant to participate in ONLY while in Canada. I already mentioned the possibility of an interview, for example, which if online some have been able to do while outside Canada while others have been required to be in Canada for it, and some are scheduled for an in-person interview which of course requires the applicant to be in Canada.

It is almost certain that you would need to return to Canada for the oath ceremony, whether that is online or in-person.

This is NOT accurate:
You can take Oath ceremony outside of Canada.
While there are isolated instances in which a very small number of citizenship applicants have been given the opportunity to take the oath while outside Canada, this is at most rare and far more likely is extremely rare. The claim by @kadian that they will be taking the oath outside Canada is not credible.

This is where the difference between "travel" abroad versus living or relocating abroad comes into play. In many of the discussions about doing something similar to what you are planning, a significant number of forum participants not only fail to recognize this difference but more or less insist there is no difference. They are wrong. I suspect many recognize this but act otherwise in order to avoid the obvious: a change in residential address is a change in information in the application that the applicant certifies, when signing the application, they will notify IRCC about. Merely traveling away from where one lives, from one's place of residence, is not such a change.

IRCC recommends applicants notify them of travel abroad for more than two weeks. This is primarily to avoid scheduling events which would conflict with the applicant's travel. It is not mandatory. If the applicant has not notified IRCC they will be outside Canada, however, the applicant bears the risk of missing a scheduled event. Missing a rescheduled oath ceremony, for example, can result in the application being deemed abandoned.

A change in address, and when changing where one lives giving IRCC the applicant's true address, is mandatory . . . EXCEPT . . . many do not do this and apparently do so without a problem. Who gets away with it versus who does not, is hard to say. As a practical matter, it seems the it's-easy-and-OK crowd here is the more prevalent.

Timelines are notoriously variable. No way to forecast the odds.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
You can take Oath ceremony outside of Canada. In addition, you can also surrender you Indian passport, get Canadian passport and Entry visa to India , all these things done while staying in India. I will be doing the same thing once I get my Oath ceremony. Goodluck
Doing the Oath from outside Canada is only allowed in very exceptional circumstances by IRCC.
General rule is that you to be in Canada to attend the Oath ceremony.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-ceremony/video.html

Last edited:

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
All of this is correct except the Oath abroad part.
So far only two cases reported here of applications taking oath outside Canada which are not corroborated with any evidence, so one should take it with a pinch of salt.
During the pandemic, virtual oaths became a necessity. There are some in-person events happening but if it will (once again) become the norm, remains to be seen. So the recommendation is to plan for an oath in Canada, rather than the other way around.

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
you can take oath outside - yes, but for exceptional n emergency travel kind of situations where gravity of the situation is accepted by IRCC. planned travels like what this person is doing (this ain't even travel, it is like living abroad) - will not sail with IRCC.

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
If you have finished the physical presence, paid 3 years taxes, met all the requirements for citizenship and are not prohibited or inadmissible, I don't think there's any reason for IRCC for not processing your citizenship and granting you one. If you own a house in Canada, government still deems you resident for tax purposes. I know its not related to citizenship process but they consider it as substantial ties to Canada. Also Canadian citizens often take long vacations outside Canada without any issues. Doesn't mean they have changed their residential address. My neighbour whose is Canadian citizen by birth, spent 15 months vacationing around the world, his residential address still remains in Canada.
There shouldn't be any double standards if PR, who is meeting all requirements, goes out of the country for extended period of time. Just make sure you return in time for oath.