+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada

david_savard

Star Member
Mar 17, 2016
Hi everyone,

I hope this is in the correct forum.

My question is simple. I am a Canadian citizen but moved to London,UK with my wife during our sponsorship application n 2016. My wife and I are planning to go back next year.

As I was no longer a Canadian resident and did not want to be double taxed, I was told to complete the following form which was approved by the Canadian immigration office and I was no longer considered a Canadian resident:
NR73 Determination of Residency Status (leaving Canada)

As we are planning to go back to Canada in the next 12-16 month, I was wondering what I need to do? What forms do I need to complete? And what are the delays in getting my "resident status" back.

I would like to take care of this correctly in order to avoid not being able to work when we move back.

Thank you!

Gibe

Star Member
Aug 3, 2018
Well I believe that you'll just need to fill your taxes the year after you return to Canada.
The resident status is implicit/automatic. Basically, as long as you leave more than 6 months in Canada in a calendar year, you are automatically considered as a resident. There are some subtle cases where you could still be considered resident while being abroad for longer than this, but your case seem plain and simple.

Normally you don't even need to fill this kind of form, but I guess it wasd to make sure that CRA (and provincial taxes) were well informed.

So when you come back, there will be some differences depending on the time of the year you come back.
If it is before July 1st, then you will be considered as a tax resident for the full year. If it is after, you will still be considered as UK resident for this year. But anyway, you will need to fill your taxes. Well unless you are in the second case and didn't earn anything in Canada.

But yes, the best is to call CRA. Better let them know that you are back, it may avoid some issue when you will fill your taxes the next year.

Anyway, this tax residency thing won't affect your ability to work in Canada. At worst you will have some trouble with the tax agencies later if you don't do it properly.

Last edited: