+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada

marso63

Aug 18, 2014
I'm an American citizen married to a Canadian We lived in Ontario from 1983 to 1991, I had permanent residency and I have a social insurance number. We are planning on moving back in May of 2015. What do I need to do?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
marso63 said:
I'm an American citizen married to a Canadian We lived in Ontario from 1983 to 1991, I had permanent residency and I have a social insurance number. We are planning on moving back in May of 2015. What do I need to do?
Have you been living outside of Canada WITH your Canadian citizen spouse since 1991?

If the answer is yes, then you don't really need to do anything other than return to Canada and probably reactivate your SIN.

Keep any and all documents that you might have that prove you have been in residence with your citizen spouse outside of Canada as they will help you to get your PR card renewed and prove that you do in fact meet the RO.

marso63

Aug 18, 2014
Yes we have been living and working in the US since 1990. What papers would I need to show that? And thank you for your response.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After you return to Canada, visit Service Canada, probably both of you, and ask if your SIN's are still active because after 5 years of inactivity they may be blocked. You would have to fill out some form and show ID to get them unblocked if this was the case.

You can follow the steps here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-first-pr-card.asp to apply for a PR card. If you have been living with your Canadian spouse for at least 730 days in the past 5 years, you are eligible. You may have to provide proof of living together, tax records, shared utility bills to your US address or something like that.

It currently takes 152 days to get a PR card, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp but you can arrange many things with your landing papers. However, although the PR card was originally only meant for travel, it has become common that various parties in Canada are asking to see one as a proof of your valid PR status. However, there is no law that says you must have one.