+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada with maiden name on PR CARD

bunnienie88

Nov 5, 2018
Hello

Does anyone experience flying in and out to Canada with a maiden name on PR Card but married name on foreign passport?

Please if you would kindly advise me what documents you brought along and how was the border check. My hubby and I plan to go to Paris. My concerns are: if there would be no issues of me 1. Boarding the plane in and out of Canada 2 entering Paris border security and 3 going back to Canada.

I will be sure to bring with me my marriage certificate. But I also want to know if anyone has done this. Thanks in advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello

Does anyone experience flying in and out to Canada with a maiden name on PR Card but married name on foreign passport?

Please if you would kindly advise me what documents you brought along and how was the border check. My hubby and I plan to go to Paris. My concerns are: if there would be no issues of me 1. Boarding the plane in and out of Canada 2 entering Paris border security and 3 going back to Canada.

I will be sure to bring with me my marriage certificate. But I also want to know if anyone has done this. Thanks in advance!
Hi

Generally, the marriage certificate is enough. Call the airline flying you back to Canada and check what their policy is.

bunnienie88

Nov 5, 2018
Hi

Generally, the marriage certificate is enough. Call the airline flying you back to Canada and check what their policy is.
Thank you for the reply!

I made a bit of a research and confirmed that CBSA would be ok with it. They will accept my marriage cert to link it to my PR card. I was just wondering why airline would matter if CBSA can accept it?

Is there any reason behind it?

Thanks once again!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for the reply!

I made a bit of a research and confirmed that CBSA would be ok with it. They will accept my marriage cert to link it to my PR card. I was just wondering why airline would matter if CBSA can accept it?

Is there any reason behind it?

Thanks once again!
Airlines can have their own internal policies. For example, CBSA has no requirement for visitors to Canada to have a flight out. However, airlines can and do refuse to board people without a return ticket. The airlines are trying to reduce their risk of flying someone to Canada who may be refused entry.

Just because CBSA accepts the marriage cert doesn't mean the airline has to. Check with them.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
canuck_in_uk is very right. My sister had an experience with this. She did not have issues flying out, but coming back. Just like her, you do not have a Canadian passport. In her case, when she was coming back, the airline wanted to see her visa to make sure that she can enter the country she is heading back to. Of course there was no visa on her passport because she did not need it as she was a PR. So they took the PR card, it had her maiden name while passport had her marriage name. Luckily they had a picture of their marriage certificate on the phone and it saved the day.

bunnienie88

Nov 5, 2018
canuck_in_uk is very right. My sister had an experience with this. She did not have issues flying out, but coming back. Just like her, you do not have a Canadian passport. In her case, when she was coming back, the airline wanted to see her visa to make sure that she can enter the country she is heading back to. Of course there was no visa on her passport because she did not need it as she was a PR. So they took the PR card, it had her maiden name while passport had her marriage name. Luckily they had a picture of their marriage certificate on the phone and it saved the day.
Oh, when did that happen to your sister? And you know the airline?
Yeah, no harm in bringing marriage cert just to be sure.

Last edited:

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
My wife had a similar issue and marriage cert + pr card in maiden was sufficient for the airline (KLM).