+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada with household goods, 11 months abroad

dawosura

Nov 15, 2015
Hi all,

My spouse (Canadian PR), 2 daughters (Canadian citizens), and myself (Canadian citizen) moved to Mexico last year. It has not worked well for any of them, so they are returning to Canada. It will have been 11 months of Mexican residency for them. I will be remaining a Mexican resident for at least one more year before returning to Canada.

The majority of our household goods, which we moved to Mexico from Canada, will be returning with them.

Looking at the form BSF-186, the "former resident" option appears to only be applicable if one has been outside of the country for at least one year. The other options (Seasonal resident, Beneficiary, Settler) don't apply.

Can you advise what the proper way forward is? I also have an e-mail inquiry in to CBSA, but I'm not sure what they can say.

Many thanks!

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
If you can provide proof that the house items were moved from Canada to Mexico, then I don't think you will have problems with CBSA. Proof can be custom declaration or bill of lading.

dawosura

Nov 15, 2015
Thanks mad_hatter. I was able to get through to an agent, and they've confirmed your take.

If we don't have the documentation, then we pay duties & taxes (after an $800 exemption).

Regards