+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada with Four Year Expired PR Card

mercer2016

Sep 30, 2016
I returned to Canada last year with my wife without meeting RO and with expired PR card, and we were lucky that we did not get reported. However, my wife had to return home again to take care of her parents situation and make arrangment for selling our properties overseas which are not very straightforward. Most likely she can only return permanently after 10 months or so. My questions:
- As she does not meet RO, if she comes back by car to Canada and get reported, will it impact my status as well since I live in Canada but not yet also meet RO.
- If she gets reported and her PR is revoked, is it possible for her to apply for tourist visa immediately after that, since I heard people have to wait for at least a year if deported since the PR is revoked?
- Is family reunion (our kids also live in Canada and study in universities here) considered as H&C ground?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
1. No, it should not impact you
2. All they can do at the border is report her. But they will still let her enter since until her PR is revoked, she is a PR and has a right to enter. And if IRCC decides to revoke her PR, she can appeal. During the appeal process, I believe she can stay in Canada (hopefully someone else can confirm this)
3. You normally give an H&C reason for the reason why you had to leave Canada. Taking care of your overseas property is not H&C. And the whole point of family sponsorship is reunification. So if PR status is lost, you can sponsor her to Canada for family reunification like every other spouse sponsorship.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
mercer2016 said:
I returned to Canada last year with my wife without meeting RO and with expired PR card, and we were lucky that we did not get reported. However, my wife had to return home again to take care of her parents situation and make arrangment for selling our properties overseas which are not very straightforward. Most likely she can only return permanently after 10 months or so. My questions:
- As she does not meet RO, if she comes back by car to Canada and get reported, will it impact my status as well since I live in Canada but not yet also meet RO.
- If she gets reported and her PR is revoked, is it possible for her to apply for tourist visa immediately after that, since I heard people have to wait for at least a year if deported since the PR is revoked?
- Is family reunion (our kids also live in Canada and study in universities here) considered as H&C ground?
IF, if you wife is reported upon her return to Canada, the border officers are likely to indicate she has the option of surrendering her PR status (then and there, at the PoE) and request entry as a visitor, which would ordinarily be allowed (unless there is some other admissibility issue). I am NOT an expert and I am NOT qualified to offer personal advice, but my impression is that it would be better to not surrender PR status, but rather to be reported and issued a Departure Order, and to then appeal the Departure Order.

If reported and issued a Departure Order, she will still be allowed to enter Canada. She remains a PR unless and until the Departure Order (sometimes called or labeled a "Removal Order") becomes enforceable. As long as she makes a timely appeal (I forget whether it needs to be done within 30 or 60 days . . . just do not delay doing it), the Departure Order is not enforceable while the appeal is pending and she will continue to be a PR, and that can take many months, often more than a year, even longer (and while the appeal is pending she should be able to get a temporary, one year PR card).

If she loses the appeal, she loses PR status, the Departure Order becomes enforceable. But that should have no impact on her eligibility to make an application to enter Canada again. In particular, in addition to being able to seek visitor status, so long as you are eligible to sponsor, you could make a sponsored spouse PR application so that she could become a PR again.

Since you, yourself, are not currently in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, and thus should not attempt to make a sponsorship application, this is one of the reasons for appealing a Departure Order: that should give you time to get yourself into compliance with the PR RO, so you would be eligible to sponsor your spouse by the time she loses PR status.

If she loses PR status.

Another reason for appealing is that if your wife settles and stays in Canada while the appeal is pending, and it is apparent she is in Canada to stay, that should dramatically improve her odds of winning the appeal.

This part is a little more complicated. Obviously, if she is reported, and is indeed in technical breach of the PR RO, she will win an appeal only if the IAD decides that there are sufficient H&C reasons for her to retain PR status. H&C cases are tricky.

Her situation illustrates one of the more tricky issues:

mercer2016 said:
Yes and No.

Keeping families together, or reunifying families, is indeed an important policy in how Canada applies its immigration laws. So yes, family in Canada is a positive factor weighing in favour of allowing the PR to retain PR status.

Moreover, family in Canada is an ongoing Canadian tie, which generally tends to favour allowing the PR to keep PR status.

But there is a competing, negative influence here as well: fact that PR has been outside Canada so long as to be in breach of the PR RO, while family is in Canada, tends to show there is no or minimal hardship imposed by taking away PR status. Additionally, if the reported-PR has a spouse in Canada, then the spouse could sponsor the reported-PR, mitigating any hardship imposed by taking away PR status.

And just the fact of being outside Canada so long is evidence of the lack of hardship imposed by losing status to live in Canada.

Thus, many other factors can have a lot of influence in how the H&C case goes.

Remember, the assessment of H&C reasons in a breach of PR RO case is not much like the assessment of H&C grounds in other contexts. While not necessarily described specifically as such, the PR RO breach H&C case is mostly about whether or not the PR deserves to keep PR status, and thus it is very difficult to specify the particular criteria considered let alone how much weight to be given. Many factors can have a negative or positive influence, depending on other circumstances, and to some extent have both a negative and positive influence -- and again, having family in Canada is precisely that sort of factor, one which has both some negative influence and some positive influence.

As I said, the H&C case can be tricky.

Those who refer to certain circumstances as constituting or not constituting grounds for H&C relief in the PR RO breach case simply have the wrong idea about how these cases are decided. Any and all reasons for not returning to Canada sooner not only can be considered, but must be considered. The question is what weight they carry, including, in particular, the extent to which the reason has a positive or negative influence on whether the PR deserves to keep PR status.

Which brings this discussion back to appealing and settling in Canada to stay while the appeal is pending. In the situation where a PR's family is well-settled in Canada, whether or not the reported-PR has finally come to Canada to stay can be a huge factor. This is about both staying in Canada while the appeal is pending, which shows settling in Canada, and about the prospective future . . . some of the IAD decisions say something along the lines that if and when the reported-PR is ready to come to Canada to stay, then the spouse in Canada can sponsor the other for PR . . . while in other circumstances, it is apparent that IRCC (previously CIC) concludes the reported-PR has settled in Canada in the meantime and there is no reason to make the family jump through the hoops of sponsorship again (which would be a waste of IRCC resources and taxpayer's money).

In the meantime: she should gather and be prepared to present H&C reasons at the time she approaches the PoE when returning to Canada.

She should prepare to make the H&C case at the border, and have in her hands (not in baggage, but literally in her hands or close enough to pick up and carry in her hands if referred to Secondary) any documents which will help to make the H&C case. This includes any and all reasons for why she was abroad as long as she has been. This includes showing all ties she has in Canada, including family in Canada. This includes showing how much she has been in Canada (the more the better obviously). This includes some medical provider documentation to support why it was necessary for her to tend to an ill or infirm family member abroad. And so on.

With family well-settled in Canada, and some decent explanation for being abroad as long as she has been, there is some chance of persuading the border officer she deserves to keep PR status, enough so that either she is not reported, or even if reported the Minister's Delegate decides on H&C grounds to not issue a Departure Order.

mercer2016

Sep 30, 2016
@dpenabill, thank you for the explanation. Another question, so if the border officer is offering her to give up her PR there and then, would they issue her a visitor visa at the same time?

mercer2016

Sep 30, 2016
@keesio, thank you for responding to my query, ideally we want her to return as PR and live here permanently.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
mercer2016 said:
@dpenabill, thank you for the explanation. Another question, so if the border officer is offering her to give up her PR there and then, would they issue her a visitor visa at the same time?
a CBSA officer as far as I know and others can correct me cannot either revoke or offer to renounce PR at the POE. An officer can only initiate the process or not for failing to meet RO by reporting an individual. As a PR despite failing RO an individual is still entitled to enter as a PR not as a visitor to await due process for being reported as failing PR.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Bs65 said:
a CBSA officer as far as I know and others can correct me cannot either revoke or offer to renounce PR at the POE. An officer can only initiate the process or not for failing to meet RO by reporting an individual. As a PR despite failing RO an individual is still entitled to enter as a PR not as a visitor to await due process for being reported as failing PR.

Summary of procedure at PoE if a returning PR is identified to be in breach of the PR RO during the PoE examination:

If upon arriving in Canada a PR is identified, during the examination in the PoE, as being in breach of the PR Residency Obligation, the examining officer issues a 44(1) Report of Inadmissibility to the PR. That is then referred to another officer, one qualified to act as the Minister's Delegate, who interviews the PR (in person or by telephone), and if that officer determines the 44(1) Report is valid in law and there are not sufficient H&C reasons to, in effect, waive the breach, that officer issues a Departure Order. While that Order alone is sufficient to terminate the PR's status, it does not have that effect immediately, thus the PR is then (once the examination is "completed") entitled to enter Canada and has a period of time within which to make an appeal. If the PR does not appeal, the Departure Order becomes enforceable and terminates the individual's PR status. If the PR appeals and loses, that terminates PR status.

Longer explanation:

It would be misleading to characterize, as "only" initiating the process, the authority officers have to issue a 44(1) Inadmissibility Report AND Departure Order, during a PoE examination, to a PR identified as in breach of the PR Residency Obligation. Indeed, once a Departure Order is issued, even though the PR is then still entitled to enter Canada, PR status is lost, terminated, unless the PR affirmatively takes action to appeal the Departure Order (I believe this takes effect after thirty days, but it may be sixty days, following the date the Departure Order is issued).

Thus, make no mistake: PRs who, during the course of a PoE examination, are identified to be in breach of the PR RO, can be issued a Departure Order before then being allowed to enter Canada, and unless there are good H&C reasons to not do so, will indeed ordinarily be issued a Departure Order if it is determined they are in breach of the PR RO. This will terminate PR status unless the PR takes affirmative action to appeal and wins the appeal.

In the meantime, the scope of discretion border officers have in conducting Secondary Examinations at a PoE is very, very broad. There is explicit authority for CBSA officers to ask a wide, wide range of questions, and the action taken can depend on the extent to which the PR cooperates or fails to cooperate.

Policy allows PRs to surrender PR status at a PoE, and anecdotal reports reflect that PoE officers will indeed sometimes inform PRs, or suggest or explain, that an inadmissible PR has the option of surrendering their PR status, and if they do so they can then apply for (and likely be given) visitor status. Known reports of this tend to be PRs who have been absent from Canada for long periods of time and are more or less obviously in breach, many who thought they no longer had PR status until the PoE screening identified them as such (this should occur less now that eTA requirements are screening travelers prior to arrival in Canada, and such PRs are informed, in response to the application for eTA, the response denying eTA because they have PR status, that surrendering PR status is an option).

For a partial explanation of the guidelines for examining PRs at a PoE, see section 11 in "ENF 4 Port of entry examinations," including in particular section 11.4 regarding investigating PRs for inadmissibility, and section 11.12 regarding examination of PRs relative to the Residency Obligation, and 11.13 regarding issuance of removal orders (often labeled or referred to as a "Departure Order;" reminder: PRs issued a removal order maintain their right of entry until the appeal period has elapsed).

I say that "ENF 4 Port of entry examinations" provides only a partial explanation because there are several other sources which also provide guidance and otherwise illuminate important aspects of the PoE examination, particularly if and when a breach of the PR RO is suspected and the examination leads to a 44(1) Report followed by an interview or hearing with another officer during which a Departure Order may be issued if it is determined the PR is in breach of the PR RO. Further below I will reference additional sources.

In any event, while the scope of the examination itself can be very broad, in contrast the scope of actions a CBSA examining officer can take regarding an individual positively identified as a Canadian, either a Canadian citizen or Canadian Permanent Resident, is fairly narrow. But there is no question, the examining officer can issue a 44(1) Report to the PR if the officer determines there are grounds for believing the PR is inadmissible, including in particular grounds based on the breach of the PR Residency Obligation.

This is not merely filing a report which is referred to a local IRCC office for further review and action. The examining officer at the border can do that, alternatively, rather than proceed to issue the formal 44(1) Report for Inadmissibility. And many times those sorts of reports merely flag the PR, with no follow-up unless and until the PR engages in another transaction with CBSA or IRCC.

But in the context of discussions about being "reported" at the PoE, being "reported" is usually in reference to the issuance, to the PR, of a 44(1) Inadmissibility Report. The difference is huge, since the 44(1) Report has immediate consequences, including (typically) an immediate referral to another officer who decides whether to issue a Departure Order.

In particular, the typical procedure is for the 44(1) Report to be immediately (that is, while the PR is still in Secondary at the PoE) reviewed by the Minister's Delegate. The Minister's Delegate is often, if not usually, the examining officer's superior (although the Minister's Delegate can be simply another officer); sometimes this review, which is in effect a hearing, is done by telephone if there is not a qualified (as a Minister's Delegate) alternative officer available at that particular PoE. While this is a hearing, like many immigration related "hearings" it is more or less an interview. The PR is given an opportunity to present information and evidence, which can be to assert there is no breach of the PR RO, or that there are H&C reasons why the PR should be allowed to retain PR status. That officer (the Minister's Delegate) will determine if a Departure Order (sometimes called a Removal Order) is issued, and if the decision is that there is a breach of the PR RO, and there are not sufficient H&C reasons to justify allowing the PR to keep PR status, then a Departure Order is issued and delivered to the PR.

When issued a Departure Order at the PoE, the PR continues to be a Permanent Resident unless the Departure Order becomes enforceable. Once issued the Departure Order, that should mean the examination is completed and the PR will be allowed to enter Canada. Must be allowed to enter Canada.

In particular, the Departure Order is NOT enforceable for at least thirty days (could be longer . . . I forget the time period within which the PR can make an appeal), and if the PR appeals, the Departure Order continues to NOT be enforceable for as long as the appeal is pending.

Sources:

The primary guidelines for PoE Examinations are set out in the Operational Manual for enforcement, "ENF 4 Port of entry examinations." see the manual by going to links for the Operation Manuals at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/index.asp

Again, the nature and scope of such examinations can be very, very broad.

Generally, and relative to PRs in particular, there are additional guidelines and "Program Delivery Instructions" which further illuminate certain aspects of an examination which goes beyond the routine PIL questioning and presentation of documents. For example, as to the writing of 44(1) Reports in particular, there is the Operational Manual for enforcement titled "ENF 5 Writing 44(1) Reports" (again, go to links for these manuals at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/index.asp

Moreover, to understand the procedures outlined in these Operational Manuals, it helps to have some familiarity with ENF 1 Inadmissibility and ENF 23 Loss of Permanent Resident Status.

Some familiarity with ENF 02/OP 18 Evaluating Inadmissibility can also be helpful, even though this manual is more about assessing the inadmissibility of FNs (Foreign Nationals), and more focused on inadmissibility for criminality, security, misrepresentation, or medical reasons. Sections 11.8 through 11.10 do address PRs and A44(1) grounds for reporting a PR's inadmissibility, including for breach of IRPA Section 28 (the statutory provision prescribing the PR Residency Obligation). I do not find this Manual to be as easily accessed or linked as most, and I do not have a link at my fingertips.

There is, apparently, another relevant manual, ENF 6 Review of reports under A44(1), which I have not accessed and cannot easily find.

Caution: the Operational Manuals continue to be sporadically updated at best, and many are badly out-of-date.

In addition to the manuals, there are many references to the procedures in IAD decisions, and in a few Federal Court decisions, which illustrate the official interpretation and application of the applicable statutory provisions, the governing regulations, and the issuance and review of 44(1) Reports in actual cases. While a number of anecdotal reports by participants in this and other forums has also helped fill in some of the grey areas in how things go in practice, these tend to be fuzzy when it comes to procedural details and, of course, some are not particularly credible.