+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

returning to Canada: when do I start paying tax?

KENQ

Apr 9, 2018
Hi. We have been in Brazil since May 2000. Last year, in April, we returned to Canada for what we thought would be 6 months of medical treatment. We are still here :)

Since we've been in Canada longer than 6 months (my wife is Canadian, and I have a PR card), I think I should declare taxes from the month of April (when we arrived). Is this correct? Will we also be eligible for child tax credit etc from April on?

Thanks for any help you can give!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: probably wouldn't advertise that you came back to Canada to use the healthcare system after being gone for 18 years and planned to leave at the 6 month mark. Then ask about CCB for you 5 children. Guessing since this was a medical trip that you were likely not working all or most of the time.

Reactions: KENQ

KENQ

Apr 9, 2018
Hi canuck78,

Just to be clear, the medical treatment was paid for by our insurance. :).

The question about tax credits for the kids is asked for this reason: when in Canada, and paying taxes, the child tax credits are a legitimate way of lowering the tax burden. So I am wondering: would I pay taxes from April on? And if so, would the tax law allow me to claim the child tax rebate from April on?

Thankfully my work gave me a paid medical leave, so there certainly is taxable income.
Thanks for your interaction! Cheers.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
If your plan is to return to Brazil soon, are you sure you want to get caught in the Canadian tax net? I suggest you consult with an accountant specialize in expat tax.

Reactions: KENQ

KENQ

Apr 9, 2018
Thanks for your response Mad Hatter.

We have now decided to stay in Canada.

If your plan is to return to Brazil soon, are you sure you want to get caught in the Canadian tax net? I suggest you consult with an accountant specialize in expat tax.