+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada: strange story

KENQ

Apr 9, 2018
Hi. I landed in 1981, and lived as PR until May 2000. Since May 2000 I have lived overseas with my Canadian wife and now 5 Canadian children.

Every two years we’ve returned to Canada for a few months. Since I was under the impression that after 6 months out of Canada I would have lost my PR, I always entered as a visa free Australian. I even have an ETA.

We are preparing to head back to Canada for three months. But this time, while there, my wife and I will come to a decision by the end of the three minute months on whether we want to move back permanently.

I have come to learn that my PR status should still be valid, contrary to what I had supposed

Here is my question: if I am in Canada with my family, and after a few months months we decide we want to stay, can I apply for a PR card from within Canada? Or will I have to go by myself back overseas and apply for a return travel document? Or can I drive to the US and then come back in using my ROE?

thanks for your help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi. I landed in 1981, and lived as PR until May 2000. Since May 2000 I have lived overseas with my Canadian wife and now 5 Canadian children.

Every two years we’ve returned to Canada for a few months. Since I was under the impression that after 6 months out of Canada I would have lost my PR, I always entered as a visa free Australian. I even have an ETA.

We are preparing to head back to Canada for three months. But this time, while there, my wife and I will come to a decision by the end of the three minute months on whether we want to move back permanently.

I have come to learn that my PR status should still be valid, contrary to what I had supposed

Here is my question: if I am in Canada with my family, and after a few months months we decide we want to stay, can I apply for a PR card from within Canada? Or will I have to go by myself back overseas and apply for a return travel document? Or can I drive to the US and then come back in using my ROE?

thanks for your help!
Hi

You slipped through the cracks in getting an eTA. The system should have detected that you were a PR and you shouldn't have been issued one.

You don't need to leave Canada to apply for a new PR card. You will need to submit proof that you were living with your Canadian spouse while abroad.

KENQ

Apr 9, 2018
Thank you for your reply!! Just to be clear, I’ve never had an actual PR card. I only have my ROE.

Hi

You slipped through the cracks in getting an eTA. The system should have detected that you were a PR and you shouldn't have been issued one.

You don't need to leave Canada to apply for a new PR card. You will need to submit proof that you were living with your Canadian spouse while abroad.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Thank you for your reply!! Just to be clear, I’ve never had an actual PR card. I only have my ROE.
That is all you need, (along with supporting documents stating you were living with your Canadian wife) so you will be applying for your first PR card, not a renewal.