+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

returning to Canada, customs

showmanshow

Nov 23, 2015
I have been working abroad(japan) for 2 years now and will be returning to Canada end of this March. Beginning of this month, I exit my current country(Japan) to do some traveling and returned back Japan now with my Canadian Passport as a visitor status to finish packing and get ready to head back to Canada.

Now I'm a bit confused as to what I need to declare when I return to Canada at customs, since I'll bringing a lot of my belonging during my 2 years stay in Japan but technically i'm currently outside of Canada with a visitor status(something I'm doing ems shipping). Do I need to declare the same way as though I never exit and returned Japan with a visitor status? and do I need to declare "everything" , which seems quite impossible since I don't know most of the current values of 100+ of my items, also how should I declare the items I purchased during my last month with my visitor status visa?

Many thanks in advance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Download a B4 form from CBSA website and submit the form as a returning resident....

showmanshow

Nov 23, 2015
thank you, maybe I missed it but their website said I can only bring back $800 worth of items(rest I'll get taxed on) but it doesn't really mention if this also apply to the items that I've bought, already have, and been using for the past my 2 years stay outside of the country (some of them I bought in Canada which I already paid taxes on), all these items probably worth over $20,000+ does that mean I have to pay taxes on this amount?.. which doesn't make sense.

also I been out of Canada for over 2 years and deemed non-resident of Canada, does this process still apply for me?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
showmanshow said:
thank you, maybe I missed it but their website said I can only bring back $800 worth of items(rest I'll get taxed on) but it doesn't really mention if this also apply to the items that I've bought, already have, and been using for the past my 2 years stay outside of the country (some of them I bought in Canada which I already paid taxes on), all these items probably worth over $20,000+ does that mean I have to pay taxes on this amount?.. which doesn't make sense.

also I been out of Canada for over 2 years and deemed non-resident of Canada, does this process still apply for me?
As you have been away for more than a year, you are deemed a returning resident and can import all the goods declared on your B4 form without taxes (so long as they are valued at under $10,000 each)