n/a
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
26-02-2014
LANDED..........
27-02-2014 Peace Arch, BC
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can tell me what the procedures are when making your customs declaration when returning to Canada at an airport as a Resident.

I have traveled in and out of Canada by Air many times but as I wasn't a resident before I only had to check the box that I hadn't exceeded the exemptions, now I see as Resident we are required to declare the value of all good purchased overseas.

When I fly home to Australia, they only ask if you have exceeded the amount, if you are under the amount you don't need to declare anything and you don't need to write the value of goods you are bringing in. I purposely never buy duty free items so I can ensure a smooth fast pass through customs. So I just want clarification on what I am meant to do for Canada.

Please forgive me for all the questions, this is just my first time doing this and as I am a new permanent resident I am a little paranoid about the procedure and want to make sure I do it right :)

It says put the amount in Canadian dollars of all goods purchased. So I guess I have to keep receipts and do the foreign conversion calculation, I guess at the airport before I leave is going to be the last chance to do this? The conversion may fluctuate by the time I arrive but I think they want you to have figured this out before you arrive?

Usually I will just buy a magazine and a toy as a gift at the Australian airport before I leave, the amount would probably be around $40 canadian, so I keep my receipts, calculate the total and exchange rate, fill out the canadian declaration amount in canadian dollars, and also keep the two items out ready to show the border services officer, along with the receipts? (It says if I am away over 7 days I have an $800 exemption so I don't think I should have to pay any taxes)

What usually happens when you enter at the airport and you have an amount declared? do they ask to see the receipts and items? What if I have an item in my checked luggage? It says you have to declare everything, now forgive me for what could be a silly question but I can't find the answer to this anywhere online, does it really mean *everything*? Like do I include a box of tissues? or toothpaste?

I found some pretty good info on these two websites but I was just hoping for someone's personal experience! Thank you!

http://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/declare

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/aba-apa-eng.html#a1

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's now $800 exemption (including alcohol and tobacco) if away 48 hours or more. Sometimes BSO check the receipts at land border, but never at the airports. Sometimes they ask travelers to unzip their checkin luggage, open the packaging and sniff the contents (like a dog)!