+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada after Changing DLI

Amtheslayer

May 12, 2021
Hello all,

I hope you are doing fine. I am writing this to ask for your advice on my situation. I currently hold a study permit that is valid until June 1, 2022. I completed the requirements of a Canadian master's program on September 3, 2021 and got enrolled in a new Canadian PhD program on September 8, 2021 and notified IRCC of this through a DLI change as soon as I got enrolled (September 8, this date is also mentioned in my revised LOA from my PhD university). However, I did not receive any confirmation emails similar to many other people on this forum. I plan on extending my SP after extending my passport which is valid until 2023 and does not cover the entirety of my PhD. Judging by my situation:

Is there any risk in exiting Canada in December before extending the study permit? Will there be any problems upon returning to the country? If you have had a similar experience to mine, can you kindly tell how the border officer will react to a new DLI different from the one based on which you had previously landed?