+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada after a 19 year absence.

manu_pena

Jun 27, 2011
Leon please if you have any advice I'd deeply appreciate it ( or anyone that wants to comment ) I retained my PR status under HnC grounds. Im returning after 19 yrs. I have no address, SIN # etc. Nothing, Other than my travel document on my passport. I will be arriving by train from NY. And was wondering if at the port of entry, will an immigration officer pull me aside and give me CIC contact information for the landing process etc. I know this is what they do for landing immigrants that have been granted entry to canada on HnC grounds like refugees. So my question would be, does this process apply to my situation given the fact that I retained my PR status on Hnc grounds?

thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I really have no idea because this is not a common situation. I think you should ask at the border but you are already PR so they will not make you land again. If you have no SIN, you need to apply for one but your travel document could be enough to do that. You should however apply for a PR card as soon as you can.

manu_pena

Jun 27, 2011
Thank you anyway Leon. Ive been searching all over the forum and havent been able to find anything on someone thats returned to canada after retaining their PR status on HnC grounds. If anyone else has something they know please comment and let me know.

thank u.

sherry1123

Dec 25, 2010
Hi Manu,

I was just wondering whether you applied for the PR card soon after coming back to Canada and whether it was issued to you. Since our cases are so rare, I just wanted to know what would be the best course of action? Should I apply for the PR card or wait until I meet the 2 year residency obligation.

Thanks