+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada after 4 years

Matheramr

Sep 15, 2018
Hi,

If any one can advice, my PR card was issued in July,2014, since that i am out of Canada. now i am planning
to return to Canada by end of this month. my PR card is expiring in July,2019.

My questions are:
1- If they ask me to go back since i have not lived in Canada for two years, will that be from Airport? or i can still live until my PR card expires

2- If i pass through immigration and start working in Canada, do i have to file an appeal immediate? or after spending two years i just apply for renewal of PR card.

Rgds,
Mathew Amr.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
1)given you have not met the residency obligation then when you are at the airport there is a chance CBSA will report you and the process to revoke your PR status will start subject to appeal. Your RO starts from your initial landing not from the issue date of your PR card.

As a PR you will still be allowed into the country and can stay pending an appeal to keep your PR status.

2)others can comment as I am not aware how long you have to appeal, maybe just 30 days, once you get a notice that your status could be revoked. Assume once you have appealed it will take some time to process for a decision during which time you can stay. If decision goes against you they will give a date by which you must leave the country.

If you are lucky enough to not be reported for failing RO then you need to stay put for 2 years and only then apply to renew your PR card. Unless reported you do not need to appeal anything, just need to avoid contact with immigration until you meet the RO again.

Last edited:

Matheramr

Sep 15, 2018
1)given you have not met the residency obligation then when you are at the airport there is a chance CBSA will report you and the process to revoke your PR status will start subject to appeal. Your RO starts from your initial landing not from the issue date of your PR card.

As a PR you will still be allowed into the country and can stay pending an appeal to keep your PR status.

2)others can comment as I am not aware how long you have to appeal, maybe just 30 days, once you get a notice that your status could be revoked. Assume once you have appealed it will take some time to process for a decision during which time you can stay. If decision goes against you they will give a date by which you must leave the country.

If you are lucky enough to not be reported for failing RO then you need to stay put for 2 years and only then apply to renew your PR card. Unless reported you do not need to appeal anything, just need to avoid contact with immigration until you meet the RO again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Thanks for the info this is very helpful and thanks to Canada Visa for creating this forum which is helpful for many immigrants.

Frank Osuedi

Oct 2, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
Visa Office......
Warri
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Hello please I want you to help me out in travelling to Canada it has been my dreams to go there. I want to work and stay there please help me out

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello please I want you to help me out in travelling to Canada it has been my dreams to go there. I want to work and stay there please help me out
Like everyone else do some research given there are pages and pages of information on the official immigration website including being able to see if you qualify. There are no jobs, employers or people willing to sponsor anyone on this website.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html

mahtab54

Feb 3, 2015
Hello everyone,
I have a question. I have applied for the PRTD on H&C grounds and unfortunately IRCC rejected it due to not meeting Residency obligations. I am going to submit an appeal to the IAD. there is two questions:
1- Can I enter to Canada from US border while I have submitted my appeal?
2- and, I should apply for submitting an appeal by the lawyer? Can I submit by myself when I am out of Canad or by my relatives within Canada?
Thank you in advance for your reply