+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning resident with settler spouse - what to include on personal effects list?

tx-to-ca

Mar 15, 2018
Hi, my wife (US citizen) and I (Canadian citizen) will be driving into Canada from the US, and at that time she will land as a permanent resident. We will be transporting our valuables and essentials in our car and these (plus the car) will be imported into Canada at that time. The rest of our belongings are being shipped and will be listed as goods to follow.

I have several valuable items including musical instruments, laptop computer, etc. which were purchased in Canada. I had brought them to the U.S. during my studies there, and they will be coming back home with me now that I'm leaving the U.S.. Do I need to list these with the other goods? I wouldn't think so, but given that everything else in the car (my wife's belongings and valuables that we purchased here) will be listed and imported, would it be odd for us to exclude these pretty noticeable things? It's never been an issue before, but my only experience with this has been flying back and forth over holidays. I'd imagine with a landing there will be more scrutiny and don't want any issues.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi, my wife (US citizen) and I (Canadian citizen) will be driving into Canada from the US, and at that time she will land as a permanent resident. We will be transporting our valuables and essentials in our car and these (plus the car) will be imported into Canada at that time. The rest of our belongings are being shipped and will be listed as goods to follow.

I have several valuable items including musical instruments, laptop computer, etc. which were purchased in Canada. I had brought them to the U.S. during my studies there, and they will be coming back home with me now that I'm leaving the U.S.. Do I need to list these with the other goods? I wouldn't think so, but given that everything else in the car (my wife's belongings and valuables that we purchased here) will be listed and imported, would it be odd for us to exclude these pretty noticeable things? It's never been an issue before, but my only experience with this has been flying back and forth over holidays. I'd imagine with a landing there will be more scrutiny and don't want any issues.
If you worry than get your Canadian items receipts ( which probably you do not have already) or just add them to the list of goods. That's what I would do and please keep us updated about car import experience. I am on fence as of when to do it - during landing or later and at the same time my spouse (PR) would need to drive something in Canada during transition period ( from US DL to Canadian DL).

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
If you exported goods from Canada when you became a resident elsewhere, you have to import them when you return. They should go on the form as settler's effects. There shouldn't be any duty or tax as you are a returning resident (assuming you were away for a year or more).

tx-to-ca

Mar 15, 2018
If you exported goods from Canada when you became a resident elsewhere, you have to import them when you return. They should go on the form as settler's effects. There shouldn't be any duty or tax as you are a returning resident (assuming you were away for a year or more).
A few questions:

1) Was there an official way to export them? I just packed them, went across with them. Never declared or listed anywhere.
2) Do I fill out a separate form than my US citizen/Canadian PR-to-be wife?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
A few questions:

1) Was there an official way to export them? I just packed them, went across with them. Never declared or listed anywhere.
2) Do I fill out a separate form than my US citizen/Canadian PR-to-be wife?
Just taking them with you out of the country to use as resident elsewhere constitutes the export.

You should look into what works best for your situation. Your wife will have to present her accompanying goods form when she lands; you might be able to do it a little later when you actually take up residence (if the two things aren't happening simultaneously).

Reactions: Alex54321