+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning PR after 10 years on H&C grounds-Applying for PR card

sherry1123

Dec 25, 2010
Hi,

I have returned to Canada after more than 10 years, having been issued the PRTD on H&C grounds. When I left Canada there was no concept of a PR card, so I was never issued one.

Should I now apply for the PR card? Since I do not meet the PR residency obligation will I get in trouble if the PR application is declined. I have read some pretty scary stories on this forum regarding this. Not applying for the PR card and waiting until I meet the 2 year residency obligation would leave me bound in Canada and I would be in a troubled situation if I have to go to my home country on an emergency basis.

Please suggest the best course of action.

Thanks

Sherry

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you were issued a PR TD on humanitarian grounds, I think you are safe to assume that the same grounds would allow you to renew your PR card. However, if you do get your PR card, be careful about leaving again. If you decide for some reason that you need to be outside Canada and leave with your new PR card but something happens to it, lost, stolen etc., immigration may not be so forthcoming in giving you another PR TD when they see you have left Canada again so soon.