App. Filed.......
19/05/2010
AOR Received.
08/07/2010
File Transfer...
22/06/2010
Med's Done....
05/07/2010
DID YOU HAVE TO SHOW YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE OR ANYTHING OR DID JUST THE OLD SIN CARD WORK?

ALSO WHAT ABOUT TAXES? DID YOU HAVE TO PROVE THAT YOU PAID TAXES IN USA?

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
jillandmat said:
DID YOU HAVE TO SHOW YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE OR ANYTHING OR DID JUST THE OLD SIN CARD WORK?

ALSO WHAT ABOUT TAXES? DID YOU HAVE TO PROVE THAT YOU PAID TAXES IN USA?
I had to show birth certificate and my marriage certificate (to change my name).

Not sure yet about taxes. I will find out next April I guess. I am sure that between here and the US I will end up owing somebody something!

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
Jen85 said:
We are moving to Nova Scotia but I used to live in Alberta where you had to pay something towards Alberta Health care (or employer did) so I know that is long gone. I will have to wait the three months to apply for Nova Scotia health care and get some sort of insurance from the UK to cover those three months.
You don't pay for Alberta Health Insurance any more.

SimpleMan

Star Member
Mar 31, 2010
heatherusa said:
I thought I would just share my experience today when we went to get my husbands SIN number.

My husband needed to apply for his number, my 10 year old daughter needed a number, and I needed to change my name on my number as it was still in my maiden name from 12 years ago.

Apparently, after 5 years of inactivity, a Social Insurance Number becomes dormant in order for the government to combat fraud. Once dormant, it cant be used for employment - basically, if I had not filled out a form to have my SIN reactivated then when I went to start work with a company here in Canada they would have been informed that my SIN was not a valid number.

SOOOO... to make a long story even longer... if you have been gone from Canada for more than 5 years your SIN may not be active and you will need to reactivate it.

Just wanted to share.

Thanks for sharing this!!!

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
I had been gone from Canada,specifically Ontario for over 7 years. Having only returned 2 times in that period. I made an appointment with my old doctor, walked in with 6 month old baby in my arms that she obviously knew wasn't born in Canada, the receptionist swiped my OHIP card in the machine and I had my appointment. Go figure? Why do you think nothing came up on the computer that I had been away for 7 years? So, is it for sure that my SIN is going to have gone dormant? Is there any way I can check this before going back to Canada when my husband hopefully lands next year?

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
thaihubbie said:
I had been gone from Canada,specifically Ontario for over 7 years. Having only returned 2 times in that period. I made an appointment with my old doctor, walked in with 6 month old baby in my arms that she obviously knew wasn't born in Canada, the receptionist swiped my OHIP card in the machine and I had my appointment. Go figure? Why do you think nothing came up on the computer that I had been away for 7 years? So, is it for sure that my SIN is going to have gone dormant? Is there any way I can check this before going back to Canada when my husband hopefully lands next year?
I cant guarantee that your SIN will go dormant. My Alberta Health Care number was still in the system also... they are two different processes. One is a provincial process and the other a Federal.

I dont think they knew or cared that I was out of the country... just that I hadnt used my SIN for 12 years by way of having an employer submit earnings on my behalf. That is how I suspect that the SIN went dormant- there was no employment taxes or earnings submitted with my SIN number.

As for your OHIP, that is great that you didnt have to wait... or maybe the doctors office will end up billing you when OHIP doesnt pay the claim.... its possible that it just hasnt caught up with you yet.

I dont think that a doctors office is going to refuse you service, especially when there is the possibility of coverage... just because someone isnt eligible for OHIP doesnt mean that they cant see a doctor, it just means that they might have to pay.

How did the doctors office know that your baby obviously wasnt born in Canada?

You could probably contact Service Canada by phone or email and see if they will give you information. That is what I would do. I just dont know if you can reactivate while you are out of the country. If you call and find out would you let me know...I am curious! :) :)

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
I went to see the doctor in 2008 after my daughter (six months old) and I came to Canada alone because my husband had been refused a Visitor's Visa for the second time.....yeah it was really great:(
My doctor knew that I had been teaching abroad so when I came into the office I'm pretty sure she was surprised to see me with a baby. She also hadn't given me any pre-or post-natal care. That was in 2008 and no bill has ever arrived at my parent's house that I'm aware of.
Do you know the Service Canada email address so I can sort of potential SIN problems ahead of time?

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
thaihubbie said:
I went to see the doctor in 2008 after my daughter (six months old) and I came to Canada alone because my husband had been refused a Visitor's Visa for the second time.....yeah it was really great:(
My doctor knew that I had been teaching abroad so when I came into the office I'm pretty sure she was surprised to see me with a baby. She also hadn't given me any pre-or post-natal care. That was in 2008 and no bill has ever arrived at my parent's house that I'm aware of.
Do you know the Service Canada email address so I can sort of potential SIN problems ahead of time?
Well it is possible that you have managed to stay under the radar!

Lucky! LOL.

Here is the link to the SIN information on Canada.gc.ca

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/sin/index.shtml