+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returned to Canada after 10 months abroad - when to apply

ski

Nov 20, 2013
Hello all,

I have been in Canada from September 2012 to May 2017. I spent 10 months in Germany and then came back to Canada (Montreal) a month back. I got my PR in Oct 2014 so by my calculations (excluding vacations), I have 3 years and 1 month of residency in total (after PR and before). I was planning on spending 3-4 months before applying for citizenship so that I get my Quebec health card and driver's license and also get my CRA notice of assessment.

The only worry I have is that spending 10 months in Germany will prompt them to give me a RQ. Should I wait for a year residence in Canada before applying? Of course it's all guesswork and you never know when you get an RQ. But still just trying to plan out the application from past experience.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

imm_leb_01

Apr 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 February 2013
AOR Received.
11 April 2013
Med's Request
25 April 2013
Med's Done....
8 May 2013
Interview........
RPRF Request june 18th
Passport Req..
26 February 2014
VISA ISSUED...
5 March 2014
LANDED..........
29 March 2014
Hello all,

I have been in Canada from September 2012 to May 2017. I spent 10 months in Germany and then came back to Canada (Montreal) a month back. I got my PR in Oct 2014 so by my calculations (excluding vacations), I have 3 years and 1 month of residency in total (after PR and before). I was planning on spending 3-4 months before applying for citizenship so that I get my Quebec health card and driver's license and also get my CRA notice of assessment.

The only worry I have is that spending 10 months in Germany will prompt them to give me a RQ. Should I wait for a year residence in Canada before applying? Of course it's all guesswork and you never know when you get an RQ. But still just trying to plan out the application from past experience.

Thanks in advance.
Even if you wait another year it will most likely trigger an RQ
So if you are eliglble now apply

Reactions: ski

imm_leb_01

Apr 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 February 2013
AOR Received.
11 April 2013
Med's Request
25 April 2013
Med's Done....
8 May 2013
Interview........
RPRF Request june 18th
Passport Req..
26 February 2014
VISA ISSUED...
5 March 2014
LANDED..........
29 March 2014
Thanks for the response. So going by the posts in the forum, a 10 month stay abroad will trigger an RQ?
Not saying that - maybe yes maybe not
But applying now or in a year won't avoid an RQ if it's necessary
Plus even if you have an RQ - the delay of an RQ would most likely be less than a year so you still gain time

Reactions: ski

ski

Nov 20, 2013
Thanks for the response. I'll apply in a few months just to be on the safe side with my calculations.

vancouverbc2013

Sep 20, 2013
Thanks for the response. I'll apply in a few months just to be on the safe side with my calculations.
That’s exactly my situation...
if you follow my advice avoid Montreal/QC altogether...
I lived 10y in Vancouver, went home for 7month as dad passed away..passed my exam 2m ago. Got the RQ 0520few weeks ago :-(

sephiroth

Oct 11, 2017
I lived 10y in Vancouver, went home for 7month as dad passed away..passed my exam 2m ago. Got the RQ 0520few weeks ago :-(
wait, you passed the exam and got the RQ after that?? so before DM, can the test be faster than RQ? that’s weird. i thought RQ and every verification process must be done before the test invitation.

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

vancouverbc2013

Sep 20, 2013
wait, you passed the exam and got the RQ after that?? so before DM, can the test be faster than RQ? that’s weird. i thought RQ and every verification process must be done before the test invitation.
That’s exaxtly what I thought too! Like the test and interview were perfect! As I m expecting oath letter I got a questionnaire instead.. from my research since it’s mainly a Montreal thing...

Reactions: sephiroth

ski

Nov 20, 2013
I can't avoid Montreal/QC. That's where I work now.