+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returned application - Missing ID

stshayesteh

Star Member
Oct 23, 2017
The ID requirement is not consistent. In the guide it clearly says if you have a passport include one more photo ID. Then later it asks for photocopy of personal ID. Is it in addition to that or not?
In the checklist it asks for biographical pages of passport and photocopy of personal ID which I assume means one. I don't see any where asking for 2 IDs in addition to Passport.

stshayesteh

Star Member
Oct 23, 2017
Also as pointed out: You did nothing wrong, the officer made the mistake here. But just to be safe I would resend it with a second piece of ID. I don't think a government ID takes very long (maybe 2-3 weeks).
True, but as someone who filed their application on October 13th, I'm sure you understand how disappointing it is to be delayed like this :(

stshayesteh

Star Member
Oct 23, 2017
Also, I would like to make minor changes to the application form. Would it still be okay to sign and date as October 12th or should we change all the dates accordingly?

robw

Mar 10, 2014
Also, I would like to make minor changes to the application form. Would it still be okay to sign and date as October 12th or should we change all the dates accordingly?
Let's say you wanna make some changes on Page 2. Make those change on Adobe Acrobat, print that page only, and put in in place of Page 2 in your original application (i.e. just keep the old signature and date).

You can do this because in the instruction manual, it says your application will be returned only if it is:
  • not signed and dated
  • dated more than 90 days before we receive it
  • post-dated (dated into the future).
And there is no way it will take you 78ish days to mail back the application to them.

Reactions: stshayesteh

Johnboy

Star Member
Jul 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-07-2014
OP - Sorry that this has happened to you. The instructions are very vague in this respect - I have a feeling that I also will have my application returned since I only sent 1 form of ID.

I kind of feel they are going overboard on the number of IDs that have to be presented. They have a huge amount of information from our PR applications which they can cross check along with passports and photos.

AnilGurung

Nov 9, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPO-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
30-1-2014
Med's Done....
05-02-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/2014
LANDED..........
1/03/2014
this is very weird indeed and yeah very disappointing. It feels like new people that they hired are just being very "anal" not to screw up even if they did.

stshayesteh

Star Member
Oct 23, 2017
This is so frustrating! My parents talked with their language school (LINC) immigration lawyer today and showed him their returned package. He told them that PR is listed separately in the required documents and is not counted towards their ID! Needless to say my parents feel the lawyer knows more than their daughter who lives in the US! There is so much confusion and contradicting advices regarding the new application.

ukulele

Jun 27, 2013
Hi,
My parents application which was sent on October 13rd and Delivered on October 16th from Vancouver was just returned saying:
The photocopies of your identity documents are missing or are illegible.
You have not submitted two identification documents.

We are very confused, because they had included copies of both sides of their PR and their passport. I am wondering if
- They requires 2 copies of passport, first for passport requirement and second as ID?
Or
- They had sent copy of complete passport (including stamp pages and empty pages) and its translation as they were advised by a the translation agency. They also included their expired passport as well as the current one. Could the additional documents be the problem?
Or
- I just found out their passport copies had been stamped as certified by the translation agency. Could it be that the stamp made the copy unacceptable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi, could you please clarify whether they put it in the same envelope that you sent it in and just did the RTS (return to sender) or did they put it in the new IRCC envelope?

The reason I am asking is because I sent mine in from the Envoy Services shop by UPS, so the shop obviously used their business address on the UPS label in addition to mine in the corner of the envelope itself.

I think it is logical that they (IRCC) look at your address from the application itself if they need to send it back, but I am still curious...

The last thing I wanna do is go to that shop every day (even though it is close to me) and inquire whether tgey got my application back by any chance :)

guddylover

Dec 31, 2016
This is so frustrating! My parents talked with their language school (LINC) immigration lawyer today and showed him their returned package. He told them that PR is listed separately in the required documents and is not counted towards their ID! Needless to say my parents feel the lawyer knows more than their daughter who lives in the US! There is so much confusion and contradicting advices regarding the new application.
Did they returned the application because they used PRC as one of the personal ID? I have heard numerous time on this forum that PRC is good for ID

stshayesteh

Star Member
Oct 23, 2017
Hi, could you please clarify whether they put it in the same envelope that you sent it in and just did the RTS (return to sender) or did they put it in the new IRCC envelope?

The reason I am asking is because I sent mine in from the Envoy Services shop by UPS, so the shop obviously used their business address on the UPS label in addition to mine in the corner of the envelope itself.

I think it is logical that they (IRCC) look at your address from the application itself if they need to send it back, but I am still curious...

The last thing I wanna do is go to that shop every day (even though it is close to me) and inquire whether tgey got my application back by any chance :)
I just checked with them, they returned everything in a new envelope. All the documents are there, except for the checklist which is removed.

stshayesteh

Star Member
Oct 23, 2017
Did they returned the application because they used PRC as one of the personal ID? I have heard numerous time on this forum that PRC is good for ID
The letter says they did not include 2 forms of ID. They had passport and PR card which based on the checklist and application guide is what they are asking for.
Either the officer checking their documents made a mistake, or they did not accept either their passport or PR as ID which does not make sense.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
PR card photocopy is a separate requirement, 2 IDs: PR card and Passport.
If I can remember correctly, I put 2 photocopies of PR card, before, the care card has no picture so I couldn't use it.

guddylover

Dec 31, 2016
PR card photocopy is a separate requirement, 2 IDs: PR card and Passport.
If I can remember correctly, I put 2 photocopies of PR card, before, the care card has no picture so I couldn't use it.
CIC people seem to be smoking something. On Oct 11 they had COPR and PRC on the instruction guide, then they took if off days later; I believe. To me, PRC should be fine as for what they asked for: govt issued, name, date of birth, and photograph. Then they had personal ID on checklist which doesn't specify anything, even a health card with no photo (Alberta) should suffice for that.

stshayesteh

Star Member
Oct 23, 2017
CIC people seem to be smoking something. On Oct 11 they had COPR and PRC on the instruction guide, then they took if off days later; I believe. To me, PRC should be fine as for what they asked for: govt issued, name, date of birth, and photograph. Then they had personal ID on checklist which doesn't specify anything, even a health card with no photo (Alberta) should suffice for that.
Exactly! The checklist clearly says passport and personal ID. The letter they sent us mentions they did not provide two IDs!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi,
My parents application which was sent on October 13rd and Delivered on October 16th from Vancouver was just returned saying:
The photocopies of your identity documents are missing or are illegible.
You have not submitted two identification documents.

We are very confused, because they had included copies of both sides of their PR and their passport. I am wondering if
- They requires 2 copies of passport, first for passport requirement and second as ID?
Or
- They had sent copy of complete passport (including stamp pages and empty pages) and its translation as they were advised by a the translation agency. They also included their expired passport as well as the current one. Could the additional documents be the problem?
Or
- I just found out their passport copies had been stamped as certified by the translation agency. Could it be that the stamp made the copy unacceptable?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Exactly! The checklist clearly says passport and personal ID. The letter they sent us mentions they did not provide two IDs!

For purposes of this topic, it appears the problem is rooted in the fact that a PR card does NOT constitute a form of identification.

Overall, I agree with this:

Before October 11, they asked for copy of passport + 2 pieces of ID
After October 11, they're asking for copy of passport + 1 piece of ID
with some clarification.

A copy of the bio page of ALL passports (valid or otherwise usable at any time within the preceding five years) must be submitted, which is a requirement separate from the requirement to submit personal identification.

Prior application process also required, in addition to passport copies, one government issued ID-with-photo and a second form of identification with or without photograph.

Current application requires only one additional photo ID so long as the applicant has submitted a copy of the bio-page of a recently valid passport (with photo); if the applicant has no such passport, the applicant needs to submit two government issued photo IDs.

Admittedly, the application checklist and instructions are not as clear as they could or should be, including as to the requirement to submit identification with the application.

It is curious, and perhaps a source of confusion, that in the instructions about what documents to submit with the application, references to what to submit if one has or does not have a passport are bulleted separately, at the same level as the instructions to submit the presence calculation, all travel documents, photos, and so on, including "Photocopy of personal identification," rather than, say, having the identification requires depending on passport/no-passport sub-bulleted under the the latter, the item "Photocopy of personal identification," particularly since there is only one corresponding item in the checklist itself (which, again, is the "Photocopy of personal identification" item).

PR cards are not a form of identification. Apparently.

While IRCC variably labels the PR card in different contexts, in the citizenship application instructions the PRC is referred to as an "immigration document." In other contexts, and in IRPA and related regulations, it is referred to as a "status document," and in IRCC's glossary it is referred to as a "Permanent residence document." By the way, PRCs are not actually "travel documents" either, even though they must be presented by PRs in conjunction with a valid travel document, usually a passport, to obtain permission to board a flight to Canada, and in the regulations governing who commercial carriers may allow to board transportation to Canada, may be referenced under provisions specifying required travel documents.

Perhaps one source of confusion is that other entities, even government bodies, will accept the PRC as a form of identification, ranging from banks to provincial authorities managing health care or drivers' licensing. And the PRC is government issued, bears the PR's name, DoB, and photograph, and has security features, and thus on its face factually (whether or not by law) fully documents the individual's identity.

And that confusion is exacerbated by the lack of any clear instruction that the PR card is not accepted as one of the required forms of identification. (While it is otherwise NOT listed among items which are accepted as identification, that is only in an appendix to the guide, which contains instructions for persons requesting a change of sex designation.)

In contrast, however, so far as I see there is nothing in the information or instructions provided by IRCC, regarding citizenship applications, which suggests let alone states that a PR card is a form of identification.

Note, for example, it is not listed among "some" of the "documents that can be used to establish identity" for purposes of citizenship. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/id/accept-documents.asp (But it is also not listed as a document which is not accepted.)

The PR card is similarly NOT listed as a form of identification in the PDI covering identity documents which may be presented to establish identity at a citizenship interview, hearing, or test. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/id/test-documents.asp

Overall, it is apparent that a PR card is not accepted as a form of identification for a citizenship application.

Proof of PR status:

Some of the confusion may derive from the fact that an applicant no longer needs to submit a copy of the CoPR or a copy of the applicant's PR card. Both of these were required pursuant to older application processes. However, they were required to establish the applicant's PR status.

For proof of PR status, the current application process only requires the applicant to submit (this is item 4 in the application):
-- the applicant's Client ID# (UCI) as shown exactly on the applicant's "most recent immigration document"
-- the applicant's name as shown exactly on the applicant's most recent immigration document
-- the applicant's date of birth as shown exactly on the applicant's most recent immigration document
-- the date the applicant became a PR of Canada

For the overwhelming vast majority of applicants, this means precisely this same information in the applicant's most recently issued PR card, noting that "immigration document" is defined to be the applicant's PR card, CoPR, or Record of Landing.

In any event, it appears for sure that NO copy of the PR card needs to be submitted with the application itself.

In this regard, it warrants observing there were also changes made to the regulations which took effect October 11. The current regulation prescribes that the application must include "any document created by the Canadian immigration authorities, or other evidence, that establishes the date on which the applicant became a permanent resident" (for Citizenship Regulations, No. 2 Regulation 2(1)(b) see http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2015-124/page-1.html#h-2

The "or other evidence" element, which was added to the version of this regulation taking effect on October 11, is undoubtedly intended to be satisfied by the inclusion of the information outlined above (UCI, name, DoB, date of landing), to be listed in item 4 in the application.

Thus, even though terms like "document" and "evidence" typically refer to something other than information attested to by the applicant, the concurrence of this change in the Regulations with dropping the CoPR and PR card from the checklist makes it apparent this was deliberate and indeed no copy of the PR card needs to be submitted.

Caution: The PDIs for citizenship still indicate that the applicant needs to bring a copy of his or her CoPR AND PR card to the test or interview. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/id/test-documents.asp