+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Return Travel with Work Permit and Passport from Visa Wavied Country

bobber123

Apr 8, 2013
Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

My partner has been in Canada for a number of years and we're in the final steps of the Permanent Resident status. We're told it's pending. We've read all the warnings about travel before hand however....we found this on the CIC website regarding travel, it does give the warning about not having a PR card but then goes on to suggest that if you are returning to work, have a work permit..and a passport from a visa wavier country...you should be allowed to return:

Can I go on vacation while my application for permanent residence is being processed?

Taking a vacation outside of Canada should not affect your application for permanent residence. However, if you leave Canada while your application is being processed, you may not be allowed to come back into Canada. Each time you come back, you must meet all the rules for entering the country.

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have:

a valid passport or other travel documents;
a valid work permit, if you are returning to work in Canada; and
a valid temporary resident visa, if you are a citizen of a country for which Canada requires one.

This makes it sound like the requirements for returning, in our case…are a passport from a visa waiver country and a work permit.

Can anyone comment confirm or deny? :)

Thanks for any assistance!

lellen

Mar 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11 2014
AOR Received.
(SA) August 7 2014
File Transfer...
August 21 2014
Med's Done....
May 29 2014
Passport Req..
December 24 2014
VISA ISSUED...
January 2 2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2015
It is always up to the officer the border whether they let you back in or not, whether you have the papers or not. However, if you have a valid work permit I don't see why they would deny you. People are going to jump in and say they may deny you, because it's never a guaranteed re-entry, but if you have everything in order and are not breaking any laws or pose a threat to Canadians, I don't see why they would deny you.

lellen

Mar 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11 2014
AOR Received.
(SA) August 7 2014
File Transfer...
August 21 2014
Med's Done....
May 29 2014
Passport Req..
December 24 2014
VISA ISSUED...
January 2 2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2015
(I may add though, that if you're waiting for PR from within Canada -under spousal sponsorship I assume-, the risk is that IF the officer should deny you re-entry -in an extreme case-, your Permanent Residence application will be canceled because one of the requirements is that you live in Canada. But still, if you have a valid work permit I don't see why they would deny you.)