+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Return to Canada while PGWP processing

btejani

Oct 2, 2020
Hi. I had applied for my PGWP from inside Canada. Currently I am outside Canada and my application is still under process. I have the PGWP-EXT letter. Can I travel back to Canada while my application is under process?

btejani

Oct 2, 2020
Did you read the link?

“You can leave Canada and return, as long as your visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is still valid. Your permit (study or work) is not a visa and doesn't allow you to travel back to Canada”

your PGWP is not a visa
Thanks again. However, despite having a valid visa in passport, airlines ask for a valid study/work permit before allowing me to board flight. In that case, will my WP-EXT letter help?

ChrisCan

Star Member
Mar 15, 2021
Hi, I did that and I returned fairly easily. No problems at all. I had V-1 visa and study permit extension. DM me for more.

btejani

Oct 2, 2020
Hi, I did that and I returned fairly easily. No problems at all. I had V-1 visa and study permit extension. DM me for more.
I have a valid visa but I am doubtful of receiving my study permit extension before my travel. Do airlines ask for study permit for allowing to board?

btejani

Oct 2, 2020
Yes they do
Thanks again for your reply. I have applied for my PGWP and I have the WP-EXT letter which states I can legally work full-time in Canada until February 2022. Will the airlines accept that letter and allow me to board?

irinaaas11

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
Yes they do
Sorry but this is not true. Airlines never ask for a study or work permit, if you have a valid ETA/visitor visa then you're allowed to board. Once you land in Canada, the border officers ask for additional papers/permits to determine your status in Canada and/if you're allowed to enter Canada.

@btejani please read the following links: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/after-you-apply.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

As long as you're double-vaxxed and have a valid ETA/visa, airlines shouldn't say anything. The final decision belongs to the CBSA officers anyway.

irinaaas11

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
I know and you are right, but they still asked for it.
Did you tell them you are waiting for PGWP to be approved? Or how did they know? They don't have access to IRCC data.
Also, fully vaxxed visitors are allowed to come to Canada starting Sept 7, 2021, provided they have valid ETA/TRV.
I know airlines have been asking for proof of temporary residency before Sept 7, 2021, but they shouldn't now.