+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Return to Canada from US without PR Card

mierl

Jul 2, 2017
Recently, my partner tried to fly back to Canada after visiting relatives abroad in France. Only at the airport did she realize she accidentally grabbed her BC ID instead of her PR card, so the airline wouldn't let her board the plane.

She tried to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) at the local office, but they said it might take 2 weeks to make. Her company wouldn't allow her to take off more time.

As a PR Card is needed to enter Canada by commercial carriers, she is going to fly to the US first, then cross into Canada over land. She already has an ESTA. My concern is that the US immigration might be confused/ suspicious why she is going to the US. Should she just explain that she lives in Vancouver, Canada and will get on the next bus from Seattle to Vancouver (and the cross the border on foot)? She has all the documents indicating that she lives and works in Canada (basically the whole application for PRTD), apart from the PR Card. She is a Japanese national so there is no visa requirement to enter the US. I am also a US citizen if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Recently, my partner tried to fly back to Canada after visiting relatives abroad in France. Only at the airport did she realize she accidentally grabbed her BC ID instead of her PR card, so the airline wouldn't let her board the plane.

She tried to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) at the local office, but they said it might take 2 weeks to make. Her company wouldn't allow her to take off more time.

As a PR Card is needed to enter Canada by commercial carriers, she is going to fly to the US first, then cross into Canada over land. My concern is that the US immigration might be confused/ suspicious why she is going to the US. Should she just explain that she lives in Vancouver, Canada and will get on the next bus from Seattle to Vancouver (and the cross the border on foot)? She has all the documents indicating that she lives and works in Canada, apart from the PR Card. She is a Japanese national so there is no visa requirement to enter the US. I am also a US citizen if that helps.

The truth is always a good idea. She'll need an ESTA for the USA I assume. The other option is to get her PR card couriered to her but this is not without risk of it being lost.

mierl

Jul 2, 2017
The truth is always a good idea. She'll need an ESTA for the USA I assume. The other option is to get her PR card couriered to her but this is not without risk of it being lost.
She already has an ESTA. I am back in Canada and could courier the PR Card to her, but it would still take a few days to arrive. This way is faster. Thanks for your help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

As a PR Card is needed to enter Canada by commercial carriers, she is going to fly to the US first, then cross into Canada over land. She already has an ESTA. My concern is that the US immigration might be confused/ suspicious why she is going to the US. Should she just explain that she lives in Vancouver, Canada and will get on the next bus from Seattle to Vancouver (and the cross the border on foot)? She has all the documents indicating that she lives and works in Canada (basically the whole application for PRTD), apart from the PR Card. She is a Japanese national so there is no visa requirement to enter the US. I am also a US citizen if that helps.

With all of her documentation, as well as the proof of the original flight she was denied from, CBP shouldn't have any issues with her plan.