+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

return ticket?

Dinto

Star Member
Feb 24, 2012
Hello:

I am wondering if I need a return ticket to enter Canada? The website says the government does not want tickets for the application... but wondering if I will require a return ticket to cross the border...

I want to travel back to South Africa with a friend and we are not sure about flight details yet?

thank you

SAgirl

Nov 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vergreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Med's Done....
02-05-2011
LANDED..........
27-04-2012
Hi Dinto,

Having a return ticket will increase your chances of getting a visitor's visa. You also need to submit your itinerary to the High Commission of Canada in Pretoria when applying. When I use to apply for my visa's I used Flight Centre to get all the information required for the visitor's visa.

When you land in Canada passport control might send you to the immigration office and a officer there will ask you a couple of questions; for example - why are you coming to Canada, what do you do for a living, where will you stay, how much money do you have and they also want to see your return ticket. That was my experience though...

SAgirl

Nov 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vergreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Med's Done....
02-05-2011
LANDED..........
27-04-2012
Your welcome! Yes, I was send to the immigration office on my first visit and it was scary and I was very nervous as the officer was not the friendliest person, but he still let me through. Who knows, you might be lucky and don't have to experience that..

Dinto

Star Member
Feb 24, 2012
oh wow... what kind of questions did they ask you?.... what were their concerns?

thanks for the input

SAgirl

Nov 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vergreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Med's Done....
02-05-2011
LANDED..........
27-04-2012
Well my first trip to Canada was to visit my husband (back then he was still my boyfriend)

He asked me the questions like I said above;

What is the purpose of coming to Canada? (I was honest and said to visit my boyfriend) How much money do I have for my stay? What do I do for a living? Where will I stay? How do I know my boyfriend? He also wanted to see my return ticket. I suppose he was just doing his job but he could have been friendlier...

melr

Jun 24, 2010
hi..i did have the same experience when i came over the first time and yes,it was scary..i was asked some questions which i did answer truthfully.The immigration officer really wants to know your purpose in coming over..i was held in the immigration cause the person which i would be visiting is a 78 year old man..he's a family friend and they suspected that i would be taking care of him and that i won't be going back to my country of residency..so i explained to the officer that it would not be the case cause i will just stay for a month or so and that's it..i showed her my return ticket but i think the reason that she believed in what i said because she saw the picture of my sister with this man and he's not an invalid at all..so they stamped my passport..the best thing to do is tell the truth..everything should be done legally if somebody wants to stay permanently..

ainex_francois

Star Member
Apr 2, 2010
Taif, Saudi Arabia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi! SO not everybody with a visitor visa will be sent to the immigration office for questioning?

Also, if they ask how much money, do they need to see the money?

I will be visiting this March 14 so Im nervouse with the port of entry thing re: stamping of how many months of stay coz I want the 6months max as I will be having an exam on May plus visits to my relatives.

Please reply. Thank you.

SAgirl

Nov 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vergreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Med's Done....
02-05-2011
LANDED..........
27-04-2012
Hi Ainex_francois,

On my first visit I was send for questioning and the second visit I did not have to go to immigration.

No, the officer did not want to see the money I had available but obviously thought it wasn't enough and then asked me if I have access to other funds and I said yes - my credit card. He did not ask about the balance available on the card.

SAgirl

Nov 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vergreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Med's Done....
02-05-2011
LANDED..........
27-04-2012
I don't know.. Might also depend on which Airport you are entering. Maybe more people can share their experience with us.

Dinto

Star Member
Feb 24, 2012
Does anyone know if you need a medical for a six month TRV? to enter Canada? I am a bit confused on if it is staying six months... or staying longer than six months?

thanks
Code:

melr

Jun 24, 2010
hi..i don't think all first timers will be held in the immigration office for questioning..i had first timers on that flight but mostly were invited by families and they didn't had any problem..

mrs_peters

Jan 8, 2012
Hi,
you will need return ticket..
The officers at the airport are strict ..they want to make sure that your coming back to your country.
I saw a tourist guy in the airport when i first got here and the officer did not allow him to go outside the airport until he
gets his return ticket..poor guy because the officer is kinda mean to him.