+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Retroactive payment of CCB

DJA79

Mar 20, 2023
Hi ,
I want to ask about the retroactive payment of CCB . my children haven't received it for many months, even though we were paying our taxes. they said because we were temporary residents but now it's not the case. Can we ask for the retroactive payment for those missed months? if yes, how?
I looked everywhere on their website but there's nothing that says how?

TIA

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi ,
I want to ask about the retroactive payment of CCB . my children haven't received it for many months, even though we were paying our taxes. they said because we were temporary residents but now it's not the case. Can we ask for the retroactive payment for those missed months? if yes, how?
I looked everywhere on their website but there's nothing that says how?

TIA
Need more info: So you are PR? You have received CBB in the past? You were on a work permit? If so, how many months. Not everyone is eligible for retroactive payments but you submit through your CRA account.

DJA79

Mar 20, 2023
We were temporary residents with work permits.
We received child benefit for them after a year and a half...then we applied for PR and we got it. I called them and they told me that there is retroactive payment but they didn't explain to me how to apply for it. Then I forgot about it (because it's so hard to reach the cra on the phone) . we have paid our taxes since we arrived to Canada. So I don't know why we can't be eligible.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
We received child benefit for them after a year and a half...then we applied for PR and we got it. I called them and they told me that there is retroactive payment but they didn't explain to me how to apply for it. Then I forgot about it (because it's so hard to reach the cra on the phone) . we have paid our taxes since we arrived to Canada. So I don't know why we can't be eligible.
Never said you weren’t eligible. I don’t know your situation. So go on your CRA account and submit through that or submit form RC66. Google child benefit retroactive.

DJA79

Mar 20, 2023
Never said you weren’t eligible. I don’t know your situation. So go on your CRA account and submit through that or submit form RC66. Google child benefit retroactive.
Thank you for your reply.
but we already receive ccb for our children, rc66 form is for those whose haven't had ccb before. I am rather looking for the for for retroactive ccb payment of the 18 or 19 first months in Canada. I feel that it is a mystery for many pple.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
but we already receive ccb for our children, rc66 form is for those whose haven't had ccb before. I am rather looking for the for for retroactive ccb payment of the 18 or 19 first months in Canada. I feel that it is a mystery for many pple.
You ask through your CRA account. Do you make too much as it is based on income? If you have been filing taxes then it is automatically generated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You only qualified for CCB after 18 months on a WP. That doesn’t change once you become PRs. If you received CCB after 18 months on your WP and after receiving PR there are no retroactive payments you qualify for.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You don’t qualify for retroactive payments for the 18 months on a WP. Nobody does.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You ask through your CRA account. Do you make too much as it is based on income? If you have been filing taxes then it is automatically generated.
Only qualify after 18 months on a temporary permit so they wouldn’t receive CCB for those 18 months. That doesn’t change once you get PR.

specialone1

Jun 14, 2023
Hi

I have question please, I’m Canadian citizenship was born in canada We left the to live overseas when I was 6 years old, now I’m 24 years old, back to canada. Can I claim mine ? Or too late ? ( child retroactive payment benefits) .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi

I have question please, I’m Canadian citizenship was born in canada We left the to live overseas when I was 6 years old, now I’m 24 years old, back to canada. Can I claim mine ? Or too late ? ( child retroactive payment benefits) .
Short answer is no.

You can only request retroactive payments up to 10 years back and you weren't living in Canada during this time, so you don't qualify for any retroactive payments.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Short answer is no.

You can only request retroactive payments up to 10 years back and you weren't living in Canada during this time, so you don't qualify for any retroactive payments.
Agree. Also it is not the child who claims it is the parents who have to claim and be tax residents for those years.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi

You want to get money back from raising yourself in Canada while you didn't live in Canada?

Unless your parents and you were in Canada and never claimed CCB, then may be. It's not a payment to a child. It's to subsidize parents the cost of raising a kid in Canada.

Reactions: mamasvoice

Arahman25

Nov 29, 2020
I was on study permit and my wife was on OWP. She was eligible for CCB from August 2022. She didn’t receive the CCB as our permit was valid till August 31st 2022. However, I applied for PGWP on August 30 and my wife applied for OWP extension. We were in implied status and received our WP decision in February. She received CCB for August 2022 and March 2023 in March 2023. Is she eligible for retroactive payments for September 2022 to February 2023? We both filed our taxes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was on study permit and my wife was on OWP. She was eligible for CCB from August 2022. She didn’t receive the CCB as our permit was valid till August 31st 2022. However, I applied for PGWP on August 30 and my wife applied for OWP extension. We were in implied status and received our WP decision in February. She received CCB for August 2022 and March 2023 in March 2023. Is she eligible for retroactive payments for September 2022 to February 2023? We both filed our taxes.
When did your wife land with her SOWP? She qualified for CCB for your children 18 months after that. If she had been in Canada for 18 months already and if she remained in Canada with your children from August to March she should have qualified for CCB from September to February.