+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Retiring to Canada from the US with pension plan

Mike F

May 15, 2016
So, here's my plan: Right now I am in the USA. Hopefully I'll be able to retire in six years with a pension that includes medical financial compensation. I know that Canada doesn't like "older" folks moving there (I'll be 54 when I retire) and using their social services without having paid into them during their younger years. But I'll have a retirement income along with hopefully a part-time job income and will contribute to the Canadian economy, paying taxes, etc. My pension will help compensate any medical expenses, although I don't have exact details on how that will work.

Would I be able to retire in Canada, hopefully in Ontario, without much difficulty? I would like to have a dual citizenship with CA and USA.

Keep in mind that these plans may accelerate if Trump becomes President. :eek:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To become a citizen of Canada you would first have to become a permanent resident. To become a permanent resident and be allowed to live in Canada - you would have to immigrate through one of Canada's immigration programs. Canada has no immigration program for retirees. So you would have to qualify and immigrate through one of Canada's economic classes (i.e. as a skilled worker). You can find information about these programs here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp There are a number of preparatory activities you would need to complete to qualify like taking an English language test and having your education officially assessed by a recognized organization.

Several of the programs are points based and unfortunately you will lose significant point due to your age. It will probably be extremely difficult for you to qualify unless you can secure a full time and permanent job in Canada that is accompanied by an approved LMIA (this is something your employer in Canada obtains that authorizes your employer to hire a foreign worker). It does tend to be quite difficult to find employers willing to go through the LMIA process since the process requires the employer to prove no Canadian could be hired for the role. Having said that, if you have specialized experience or knowledge, you may have a very good chance of being successful.

Good luck.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry - I didn't actually answer your question directly. I expect you're going to find it's very difficult to immigrate at this stage of your life. Assuming that's the case, you can still visit Canada as a tourist for several months of the year if you wish. However you won't be able to "live" here or take advantage of any resident benefits (e.g. no health care coverage, no ability to work, etc.).

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Mike F said:
Would I be able to retire in Canada, hopefully in Ontario, without much difficulty? I would like to have a dual citizenship with CA and USA.
Quick answer is no, US citizens can't simply retire in Canada. Same as Canadians can't retire in the USA. You can only "visit" Canada, I don't think you have any chance at all to get PR status or eventual citizenship here, unless you have Canadian children that can sponsor you for PR.

As a "visitor", you can certainly spend extended time in Ontario during your retirement. However you can't "live" or "move" here permanently. Any time you cross the border you may need to show ties to the USA such as an address there where you live, and you can't bring up tons of furniture/belongings with you on any trip. Failure to abide by these rules, and you could find yourself turned away at the border.

This is the same strategy that Canadians use to "retire" in Florida. Basically they travel there during the winter months as a visitor only (even if they own property in Florida), but must return to Canada on a constant basis and maintain their ties in Canada.

Many Americans say they will move to Canada in certain situations (like Trump being elected), but few seem to realize it's not that easy and in order to truly immigrate here permanently you basically need to be of a certain age and have specific work skills that are in demand.

Frenchie1971

May 19, 2016
I apologize for jumping on a thread who is not mine, but your answer is so relevant to me, that I take the risk.
I posted a mo net ago, in a new thread, asking for a visa allowing one to live in Canada but not needing/wanting to work. I am not of retirement age (45), would want to move with my minor child who would not need to be in a local school (homeschooled), I am not a refugee, don't have a Canadian sponsor, don't want to set up a business in Canada. I however can provide for myself, would,contribute to the economy with my expenses, speak fluent French and English, own both Swiss and British citizen ships, and do own worldwide health coverage, so will not expect to have free health care or anything else free for that matter.
I can't either invest a million or so, in Canada.
I would be so thankful if you could guide me, even by giving me more info about being a visitor, if that is all I would be allowed. Yes, I could fly back and forth but what would be the maximum of time allowed, and how risky would it be for an immigration officer to deny us entry? I also have four dogs, so that would be a big pain to travel with all four every few months:( thx again!!!!!