+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Retirement to Canada from the US

RHNAA

May 26, 2024
Hello, for those reading this message please feel free to both answer specific questions and to comment on my assumptions.

• From my reading, it appears I can enter are re-enter Canada as a visitor as many times as I want as long as the Canadian border agent allows me in.
  • For each entry I can stay up to 180 days then I must either leave or extend my stay.
  • The number of entries and the duration of each stay has no cumulative effect. For example if I entered Canada for 30 days, returned to the US for a short period of time, and repeat this cycle 6 times, this would not eventually add up to 180 days and prevent another entry (there doesn't appear to be a system tracking my accumulative days in Canada, it is solely up to the border agent during each entry to decide if I can re-enter Canada?
  • Likewise, entering Canada for 1 visit for less than 180 days doesn't have any effect on being able to enter again?
  • If I buy or rent a 2nd residence in Canada as a vacation/retirement home, no special consideration is given for being allowed back into Canada. Only being granted a Canadian passport would guarantee being able to enter Canada.
Thoughts and comment please.

Rick

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, for those reading this message please feel free to both answer specific questions and to comment on my assumptions.

• From my reading, it appears I can enter are re-enter Canada as a visitor as many times as I want as long as the Canadian border agent allows me in.
  • For each entry I can stay up to 180 days then I must either leave or extend my stay.
  • The number of entries and the duration of each stay has no cumulative effect. For example if I entered Canada for 30 days, returned to the US for a short period of time, and repeat this cycle 6 times, this would not eventually add up to 180 days and prevent another entry (there doesn't appear to be a system tracking my accumulative days in Canada, it is solely up to the border agent during each entry to decide if I can re-enter Canada?
  • Likewise, entering Canada for 1 visit for less than 180 days doesn't have any effect on being able to enter again?
  • If I buy or rent a 2nd residence in Canada as a vacation/retirement home, no special consideration is given for being allowed back into Canada. Only being granted a Canadian passport would guarantee being able to enter Canada.

Rick
Unless you are a PR or Canadian citizen, you can't really retire there. Btw, why would want to retire there anyways? Why not retire in places like Point Roberts?

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Unless you are a PR or Canadian citizen, you can't really retire there. Btw, why would want to retire there anyways? Why not retire in places like Point Roberts?
Retire in Point Roberts? Come on Steaky, there's eff all happening there. Can't even go to the hospital in Vancouver..been there many times for gas and a sandwich, but nothing else worth your time

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Rick
- Only Canadian citizenship or Canadian permanent residency guarantees entry into Canada.
- Buying a 2nd residence in Canada give you no special consideration for being allowed back into Canada.
- In any 12 month period, you should be spending more time outside of Canada than inside of Canada since you are not permitted to live here.
- Yes, it is up to the discretion of the border official if you are allowed into Canada or not. Your entries and exits are tracked in CBSA systems and they will be able to see how much time you are spending in Canada. If you are spending too much time in Canada then you may be at risk of only being allowed into Canada for a limited number of days or being refused entiry.

Reactions: YVR123 and RHNAA

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015

Rick
Currently as a visitor, you can't buy a home. Keep in mind, anything above 183 days in Canada, CRA will be looking for a tax filing.

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024

Rick
I actually know a bunch of people whose parents do this. Their summer home is Canada and winter home is Arizona. Some of them are Canadians, some are Americans, and some are dual. Never heard anyone getting a hard time from border agents on either side. They all mostly travel in a motorhome though and haul a Jeep, I don't know why lol.

You are absolutely right about 180 days each visit. I don't know if you can buy a home after the new regulations up here though. If your plan is to go back and forth, there should be no problem but if your goal is to get a Canadian Passport you need to explore PR pathways.

This is just my opinion based on people and experiences around me..

Reactions: RHNAA