+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Retaining PR status

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
Basically this person has a PR and a rich uncle who sends 2000 CAD to live every month in Canada so this person doesn't have to work at all (what a lucky guy huh?). If this person meets the time period of 2 years for PR for PR extension and 3 or 4 years for citizenship, would this create a red flag or be problematic while applying for renewal of PR or better still will it be a problem when this person applies for citizenship?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
It won't be a "problem" but he may need to explain what he is doing in Canada.
(getting paid without working and being supported by an Uncle and while he is not working, not doing any business, not going to school)

Rich people do get bored. People I know that don't need to work to support themselves usually take more school (another degree, research..etc) or start their own business with support of their family. Or they can volunteer. It's strange that someone did nothing for 3 to 4 years.
In general, for citizenship application, he needs to give work/study history and tax return records.

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
It won't be a "problem" but he may need to explain what he is doing in Canada.
(getting paid without working and being supported by an Uncle and while he is not working, not doing any business, not going to school)

Rich people do get bored. People I know that don't need to work to support themselves usually take more school (another degree, research..etc) or start their own business with support of their family. Or they can volunteer. It's strange that someone did nothing for 3 to 4 years.
In general, for citizenship application, he needs to give work/study history and tax return records.
Interesting. I thought this too. Thanks for sharing.

Kumud

Jun 25, 2016
NOC Code......
Hi, I am a PR and currently living outside Canada. To comply PR residency obligation of 730 days I need to go back to Canada by September 2021. Is there any opportunity to apply to get waiver on 730 days considering for Covid situation? It would have been better if I could return by Summer in 2022.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, I am a PR and currently living outside Canada. To comply PR residency obligation of 730 days I need to go back to Canada by September 2021. Is there any opportunity to apply to get waiver on 730 days considering for Covid situation? It would have been better if I could return by Summer in 2022.
No, there is no waiver.

Reactions: YVR123