+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RETAINING PR STATUS, LIVING OUTSIDE CANADA

journey21

Dec 25, 2014
Leon said:
Like scylla said, getting PR is completely unrelated to applying for citizenship to getting PR today does not mean that you will apply for citizenship under the rules of today. You will apply for citizenship under whichever rules are in effect when you are ready to apply. If you get PR today, you will not be able to stay 3 years before the new rules come into effect which means you can not apply under the rules of today. Unless the new rules change again before you apply, you will apply under the new rules.

Same as if somebody comes to Canada as a student and is planning on applying for PR under some immigration class. Should this immigration class change before he is ready to apply, he will have to find a new immigration class to apply under. Immigration will not give him any leeway because he was already in Canada as a student and was working on qualifying under some class which does not exist any more. You can apply under some rule only if the rule is still in effect when you apply and that goes for everything.
Thanks.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
polara69 said:
I find it really annoying and irrelevant when people complain, whether it is 3, 4 or 6 years, I DO NOT CARE. If one came to Canada to stay and make it your home, then it should not matter. It only matters to those who are looking to get a glorified visitor visa. But eventually they will run out of time and probably lose it all, well, tough!
Polara69, if immigrants don't break the laws and regulations,nor advocate for the same, but merely express their grievances (whatever it might be), why does it annoy you?

I sometimes find it amusing when temporary residents in Canada complain that the time they have spent in Canada as temp workers or students won't be counted towards residency for Citizenship purposes. It amuses me, because it's unfathomable in US for someone to claim residency for Citizenship purposes prior to an acquisition of Permanent Residency. But why would it annoy anyone?

To the person who asked about Citizenship requirements: You may receive faster and more accurate responses if you post your question under "Citizenship" Settlement Topics.
This particular thread is under "Perm. Res. Obligations" subtitle and OP asks how to retain his Canadian PR while staying with his son overseas. This is not the right thread or sub-forum to ask how to qualify for Citizenship.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Thanks David, well, it is a personal thing.. I came to Canada some years ago from a very rich, small country in Europe. Everyone was asking, why do you leave this paradise? I said because I can.. So, fast forward to Canada, I got a job within days of arrival in my area of expertise, apartment, car and all the jazz followed. Insurance covered me for my eye surgery, and I am still covered for more surgery coming.

I am forever grateful to Canada to have been accepted from day one, got offered opportunities left, right and centre and live a nice comfortable life with not a lot of stress and no keeping up with the Joneses.. I love it here, I am here for good.

So, you see, I am defending Canada, it just bothers me people coming here not pulling their weight and contribute to their new chosen home. But I understand, I am probably quite lonely in my points of view!

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
polara69 said:
Thanks David, well, it is a personal thing.. I came to Canada some years ago from a very rich, small country in Europe. Everyone was asking, why do you leave this paradise? I said because I can.. So, fast forward to Canada, I got a job within days of arrival in my area of expertise, apartment, car and all the jazz followed. Insurance covered me for my eye surgery, and I am still covered for more surgery coming.

I am forever grateful to Canada to have been accepted from day one, got offered opportunities left, right and centre and live a nice comfortable life with not a lot of stress and no keeping up with the Joneses.. I love it here, I am here for good.

So, you see, I am defending Canada, it just bothers me people coming here not pulling their weight and contribute to their new chosen home. But I understand, I am probably quite lonely in my points of view!
It's good that you defend Canada. Part of defending Canada is defending Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. One of the fundamental pillars of Charter of Rights is UNITY.

Charter of Rights gives certain political rights to Canadian citizens and Civil rights to all who reside in Canada.

As long as someone expresses their grievances without breaking the law (or advocating the same) and as long as their intentions are not serving interests contrary to the national interests of Canada and its' UNITY, I see no reason to be annoyed.

Someone who genuinely wishes to become Canadian citizen sooner than later and advocates for less hurdles on the way of attaining Canadian citizenship does not necessarily sound like someone who has ill wishes towards Canada.Wouldn't you agree? Of course some of them may have ulterior motives, and on the merits of their ulterior motives they can be justly criticized, but mere expression of desire to attain Canadian citizenship can hardly be an indication of harboring adverse sentiments towards Canada. And if so , then why should it be annoying?

I personally feel totally amused with some of the posters who wish their stay in Canada as tourists, students or temp workers was counted towards Residency under Citizenship requirements. I mean, it's like a child telling parents that they wish they could eat Big Mac and chocolate candies 24/7.
But it doesn't annoy me.

I somewhat don't understand and wonder why did Canada decide to increase time required to qualify for Citizenship. I mean, is there an objective study or statistical data that shows how Canadian society will become more coherent and harmonious and how the pool of Canadian Citizens will improve when it takes longer for Canadian PR to become a Canadian Citizen? I mean, really?

However, what does annoy me is when someone posts how they failed RO obligation, still went ahead and applied for PR renewal with falsified dates and now are desperate to not get deported. Or when someone, who is an immigrant himself, advises another prospective immigrant to lie and mislead CBSA during their landing and that sort of thing. It truly annoys me. It harms Canada, it's against UNITY and it harms immigrants as it serves to add to negative publicity and turns Canadian voters against newcomers, portraying latter as unworthy of becoming part of Canadian society.
That's very annoying, especially when you consider the fact that it's done by immigrants.

But, other than what I mentioned above, I am perfectly Ok with people expressing their grievances, opinions, desires and wishes, it even amuses me at times :)

Ray_Of_Hope

Star Member
Nov 4, 2013
david1697 said:
krishana, Leon gave you accurate information. CIC does not provide any other options, except as mentioned by Leon, to retain your PR status in Canada if you don't stay 730 days out of 5 years in Canada.

There are simply no other alternatives.

If the affected party were Canadian Citizens (or Citizens of countries who are accustomed to Western values), then they would run campaigns, collect signatures, approach MP's and create a public awareness about this issue. Law is made by elected lawmakers and lawmakers do what is approved by Public Opinion (otherwise lawmakers can loose their jobs).

Since majority of immigrants do not have similar concepts in their home countries and are not accustomed to how Western Democracy works, they end up doing things that they are accustomed to doing in their own countries (trying to outsmart the system and search for obviously unlawful and indefensible methods of accomplishing a goal, for example lie to CBSA officer about RO or fill out falsified PR residence application, without meeting the RO requirement. Or they assume any reason they stay out of Canada can be argued to be under H&C grounds, when it can't).
In the end it backfires, it hardens Canadians and their lawmakers and I guarantee that if immigrants continue pursuing this subject the wrong way then sooner than later Canadians will impose even stricter requirements (return 6 mo out of 1 yr requirement, institute harsher penalties and etc.).

Please understand: things in Western countries don't work the way they may be working where you live.

Additionally, in the eyes of Canadian society your son is a grown adult man or already mature enough to take care o himself (most North American students move out of parents' house and live by themselves in school campuses, thousands of miles away from their parents).
You can not get a waiver of RO because you want to stay with your son while he goes to school.
And where he goes to school is ultimately his choice.

You will need to move to Canada to preserve your residency or fall under one of the exceptions mentioned by Leon.
Very true indeed.