+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Resubmission After Application returned

Zenderquai

Oct 23, 2020
Hi Forum

(Please excuse any naivety in protocol; this is my first post)

So having submitted the application package for my Common-Law Spouse's PR application (I'm sponsoring her) - It was returned, and arrived yesterday.
Needless to say, we're crushed...

It turns out that I was sent the blue sheet, informing me I'd performed a clerical error on 5406 - so we have to start the application from scratch again.
Our first submission was March, this year - so all our supporting material and forms was fresh as of that date.
I've already got the most recent version of the appropriate forms, and will re-fill/re-print/re-sign them today.
But my question, if any of you have the time to reply, is:

(TLDR)

On resubmission of a returned PR application package, what supporting material would I have to renew, or provide a more recent version of?

I can update financial info - proof of earnings, etc, today without any trouble.
However, stuff like a police check would incur more delay, (my partner is American, so we'd need to go through the DoJ for a new police check, delaying resubmission by weeks).

I appreciate the time taken to read - thank you so much.
Any info would be gratefully received

Nick.

satmigs

Star Member
Mar 6, 2020
Is this Inland application? I wonder if the error in 5406 was the zip codes or incomplete addresses. But on a positive note, take this opportunity to add in important documents that will help strengthen your application, and to check for completeness.

Zenderquai

Oct 23, 2020
Thank you so much for the reply!

Apologies - yes, this is inland; we both live in Canada - me, a citizen, she, on a visitor record.

The error in the 5406 was misunderstanding the fields - we mistakenly left the field for common-law spouse (my) details empty, because we understood the form to include details of everyone who was accompanying the applicant in emigrating...
As I was already here in Canada, I didn't want to mislead whoever looked at the application package.

In the anxiety of providing too much of the wrong info, I didn't provide enough on that page.

I appreciate the sentiment of finding the positive in this - I'll admit, it's tough to find silver linings today.
We've been waiting a good chunk of time, and I've been hoping for the opportunity to allow my partner to work and live here without stress.

Again, So many thanks in taking the time to reply!

Reactions: satmigs

Chad4lyphe

Jul 28, 2019
Hi Forum

So having submitted the application package for my Common-Law Spouse's PR application (I'm sponsoring her) - It was returned, and arrived yesterday.

It turns out that I was sent the blue sheet, informing me I'd performed a clerical error on 5406 - so we have to start the application from scratch again.
Our first submission was March, this year - so all our supporting material and forms was fresh as of that date.
I've already got the most recent version of the appropriate forms, and will re-fill/re-print/re-sign them today.

(TLDR)

On resubmission of a returned PR application package, what supporting material would I have to renew, or provide a more recent version of?

I can update financial info - proof of earnings, etc, today without any trouble.
However, stuff like a police check would incur more delay, (my partner is American, so we'd need to go through the DoJ for a new police check, delaying resubmission by weeks).

Nick.
Police certificate If it over 3 month since issue are u Can provide a explanation letter for it to arrive later, 2) PR passport photo if taken over 6 month, an I believe u need 2020 NOA if not already have, can u share what was wrong with your imm5406 form?

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hi Forum

(TLDR)

Nick.
Police certificates for spousal sponsorships are valid for 1 year, so you can reuse them. Not sure about passport photos as they want them taken within 6 months, and they’d have the stamp at the back with the date, you might want to update those.

As for forms, make sure you have the updated ones, I believe 2 of them have been updated since March.

If you paid and are paying RPRF upfront note that there is an increase of $10. Though you can pay it later on.

Also take this time to add more evidence to your application, especially it being common law. Make sure you have 12 months proof of cohab (12 consecutive months, with no breaks) this has always been a problem for common law, after the application being returned now you wouldn’t want to go through more delays and frustrations.

Go to the March 2020 inland spousal sponsorships thread
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/march-2020-inland-spouse-sponsorship.682394/page-38 you’ll find others with same case. There’s also a thread for March 2020 outland spousal sponsorships invade you are Outland

Chad4lyphe

Jul 28, 2019
Police certificates for spousal sponsorships are valid for 1 year, so you can reuse them. Not sure about passport photos as they want them taken within 6 months, and they’d have the stamp at the back with the date, you might want to update those.

As for forms, make sure you have the updated ones, I believe 2 of them have been updated since March.

If you paid and are paying RPRF upfront note that there is an increase of $10. Though you can pay it later on.

Also take this time to add more evidence to your application, especially it being common law. Make sure you have 12 months proof of cohab (12 consecutive months, with no breaks) this has always been a problem for common law, after the application being returned now you wouldn’t want to go through more delays and frustrations.

Go to the March 2020 inland spousal sponsorships thread
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/march-2020-inland-spouse-sponsorship.682394/page-38 you’ll find others with same case. There’s also a thread for March 2020 outland spousal sponsorships invade you are Outland
I understand police certificate is valid for 1 year but ircc requires it to be summit within 3 month of issuing

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga

Apologies - yes, this is inland; we both live in Canada - me, a citizen, she, on a visitor record.

The error in the 5406 was misunderstanding the fields - we mistakenly left the field for common-law spouse (my) details empty, because we understood the form to include details of everyone who was accompanying the applicant in emigrating...
As I was already here in Canada, I didn't want to mislead whoever looked at the application package.

In the anxiety of providing too much of the wrong info, I didn't provide enough on that page.

I appreciate the sentiment of finding the positive in this - I'll admit, it's tough to find silver linings today.
We've been waiting a good chunk of time, and I've been hoping for the opportunity to allow my partner to work and live here without stress.

I would advice you to read the complete guide when re-filling the forms.

PS. Most of those who had their applications returns for error in this form was due to incomplete address (zip codes, city country). So when filling don’t miss any of these. All the best.

satmigs

Star Member
Mar 6, 2020

I've seen some Inland applicants on here, and their applications were returned due to missing zip codes, incomplete addresses, and not including the country in the addresses, so make sure you include those. You may want to review the complete guide. Best of luck!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I understand police certificate is valid for 1 year but ircc requires it to be summit within 3 month of issuing
They clearly mention that when resubmitting an application one can use same documents if they are still valid
This is so for economic streams and it’s 6 months from date of issue not 3. Spousal sponsorships don’t have such a requirement. The guide simply states that they are valid for 1 year and would request a new one if needed. And ircc website states one can resubmit same supporting documents as long as they are still valid.

Chad4lyphe

Jul 28, 2019
They clearly mention that when resubmitting an application one can use same documents if they are still valid

This is so for economic streams and it’s 6 months from date of issue not 3. Spousal sponsorships don’t have such a requirement. The guide simply states that they are valid for 1 year and would request a new one if needed. And ircc website states one can resubmit same supporting documents as long as they are still valid.
Thank for the clarification

Marvin23

Oct 11, 2020
Hi Forum

(TLDR)

Nick.
Hi Nick, sorry for what you have experienced. I wonder when your application was received by IRCC in March? Did you get a pre-AOR or somethings like that?