+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restrictions on SOWP? 2023

BalaKCB

May 23, 2023
Hello All.
Hope everyone is doing well. My Husband and I are moving to Canada in September 2023. I have been granted a Study Permit (PhD and Queen'sU, Kingston) and my Husband is accompanying me on a Spouse Open Work Permit.

My question is; as we know that an Open Work Permit allows a person to work under any employer, in any NOC code and anywhere in Canada. But recently in a video on YouTube I heard that, at the Port of Entry (POE), during immigration questions, if the person insists on staying with his/her spouse and look for a job in that province, the immigration officer may restrict the Open Work Permit to that particular city or province. It means that the person won't be able to work elsewhere (other city/province) even if he gets a job. The open work permit may become an area specific work permit, just because of certain questions-answers at the immigration.

I would request people to please help me clarify this, if anyone has any information regarding this. Is the above-mentioned circumstance true at all? If yes, then is it possible to rectify it, and eliminate the restriction from the work permit later on? All your help and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Best

Bala