+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restoring the status - BOWP - Please help

user0011

May 14, 2013
Hi All.
I am very confused with the contradicting answers received from CIC call agents so I need your opinions and experience guys.
I applied for a permanent residency under Canadian Experience class in the beginning of August, 2013. I was on my Postgraduate Open Work Permit at that time. Before it expired at the end of August I applied for a Bridging Open Work Permit. I didn't attach the Acknowledgement of Receipt(AOR) because at that time I didn't have it. In my letter of explanation I mentioned that I am waiting for the AOR and asked to delay the decision on my application until I receive the AOR. Unfortunately, the Bridging permit application was rejected with a reason provided as not having the AOR in my package. Now I have 90 days since the rejection date and can try to restore my status as a worker. I received my AOR in october in about a week after the bridging application was rejected.
My question is can I apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit once again under the restoration of status process? Did somebody have this experience? I know that I can apply for a Labor Market Opinion to get a "closed" work permit, but it looks unrealistic in my situation.(not enough time for recruitment advertising effort, complex procedure, etc.) And in general what are my options if I want to stay in Canada?
I will appreciate any help from you.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
hi user0011,
sorry to hear about your unfortunate story.
if your work permit is already expired then you have 90 days from the date of rejection letter as CIC stated to apply for a restoration of status.unfortunately you can not apply for a BOWP at this time since one of the requirements is to have a (valid work permit that is set to expire within 4 months of the application date).
you can try to find an employer with an approved open LMO which won't take longer to add your name to it and then apply online for a work permit along with restoration of status(please note that is only one application with two services and you have to pay the correct 350$ fees,200$ for restoration and 150$ for work permit).
if you can not secure an LMO within the 90 days window to restore your status as worker and wish to stay in canada while waiting for your CEC application to get processed then you can apply for a restoration as a visitor but make sure you have enough funds to show CIC so you can get a visitor permit.
good luck and don't lose hope :)

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
The recently-updated operational bulletin 485A that describes the BOWP (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob485A.asp) now specifically says that it cannot be obtained in the restoration period.

For some reason they are a stickler on that rule - it really is a 'bridging' permit. If your work status has lapsed then the BOWP is no longer available to you, and even if you receive your AOR a week later it's potentially bye-bye back to your own country for a year to wait out the PR process. It seems dumb, but there you go.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
hi LPS,
as i stated in my post earlier there is options for him/her to restore her status and stay in canada legally to wait out the outcome of her PR application,i would also add that the OP can restore the status as a student if he can enroll in a one year program and have the funds to support it.
i dont see why would you say BYE BYE BACK,is it the only suggestion you have for someone already struggling to find ways to stay in canada legally,who knows maybe he/she has hopes for a better future in this country.
been helpfull to others in their hard times is blessing,keep that in mind.
good luck

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
canadavisa13 said:
hi LPS,
as i stated in my post earlier there is options for him/her to restore her status and stay in canada legally to wait out the outcome of her PR application,i would also add that the OP can restore the status as a student if he can enroll in a one year program and have the funds to support it.
i dont see why would you say BYE BYE BACK,is it the only suggestion you have for someone already struggling to find ways to stay in canada legally,who knows maybe he/she has hopes for a better future in this country.
been helpfull to others in their hard times is blessing,keep that in mind.
good luck
I'm not saying any such thing to anyone. Perhaps something has been lost in translation. I'm suggesting in a tongue-in-cheek way that overly-restrictive BOWP rules can have this potential effect on people. Including me.

The OP really asked two questions - as for the first question, I wanted to explain why BOWP is not an option during restoration. As for alternative options other than BOWP, I'm happy to let more knowledgeable users answer this.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
sorry if i was a bit defensive LPS,we all here trying to help each others get through the whole immigration process :)
good luck

Navpreet Parmar

Sep 5, 2013
Hey !!
I am on restoration since sep 16 and also got rejected Due to lack of AOR Submission . Fortunately I got LMO with my name on it approved on OCT 10 so applied next day ..we can't apply BOWP anymore