+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restoration of student status

Qgqbs

Aug 8, 2018
Hey,

My study permit expired on the 11th of June. I had applied earlier on in April but got refused reason being that I had not provided a recently issued letter from my university stating my program , start date and if I’m a full or part time student which I suppose was meant to be a letter of enrolement. I had gone ahead to put in my letter of acceptance dated 2016.

I had to pay of my winter semester fees in order to get a letter of enrolement. The day after it was paid off ( July 25th), I went ahead to register for classes for fall 2018 and got an enrolement letter for the semester which I picked up a week later.

I finally submitted my application yesterday but I’m worried that it might not be approved since I used an enrolement letter for fall 2018 when I’m technically not meant to be in school by then because I don’t have a status in Canada. The processing time is also 33 days.

Help please!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Not sure I understand your timelines here. But you can restore if you are within 90 days since expiry, also you need to pay for both restoration + study permit, I would consult with international office at your school to make sure you have the correct documents, it could take months to restore status.

Qgqbs

Aug 8, 2018
I reapplied on the 7th of August. Already went to see an advisor on it however she said she was limited in the things she could tell me.

My hope was to be able to take classes for fall so I submitted my enrolement letter for fall that shows I’m registered for classes for the fall semester.

My only problem is that I’m not too sure if the enrolement letter for fall is okay since I’m technically not meant to be in school then due to the fact that I’ve lost my status.

Also, the processing time says 33 days on the website since I did it online. Hopefully it could be earlier than that.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I reapplied on the 7th of August. Already went to see an advisor on it however she said she was limited in the things she could tell me.

My hope was to be able to take classes for fall so I submitted my enrolement letter for fall that shows I’m registered for classes for the fall semester.

My only problem is that I’m not too sure if the enrolement letter for fall is okay since I’m technically not meant to be in school then due to the fact that I’ve lost my status.

Also, the processing time says 33 days on the website since I did it online. Hopefully it could be earlier than that.
The enrollment letter sounds correct to me, I would take the times on their website with a grain of salt though.

I hope you get it before classes start.

Oct 22, 2018
Hey, do you have any updates? I am almost the same as your case. I applied for my study permit extension on July 17th and for refused on September 5th for the same reasons as yours where I didn’t submit my enrolment letter. My study permit expired August 31th so I applied for restoration of status on September 20th and submitted the application that day along with enrolment letter for Fall 2018 and Winter 2019.

Qgqbs

Aug 8, 2018
Hey. Got my student stays restored on the 26th of September. It usually takes the standard processing time for an extension of study permit for them to process the restoration as well. So I’d advice you take a look at the website for the processing time.

Oct 22, 2018
Hey. Got my student stays restored on the 26th of September. It usually takes the standard processing time for an extension of study permit for them to process the restoration as well. So I’d advice you take a look at the website for the processing time.
Thanks so much! You know how much the waiting could stress you out. Thanks again!

bcfinest

Oct 21, 2018
Hello Guys, i lost my status because my school is a dumb university they make life difficult for international students, if you do not pay they will never give you the enrolment letter!
First, they asked me to complete my tuition fees before i could get a letter, i could not raise the money until one month and few days after i lost my status i.e Study permit expired on July 31st, paid tuition September 4th, they did not say anything to me, they allowed me to be going to class taking lectures until i requested they officially registered me, but the school refused because it was illegal for me to continue

Secondly, after so much frastration knowing fully that i have just one semester to graduate from my MBA, i went to the Abbotsford border to get a renewal after getting advice from friends who got their post study work permit off the border,it was a horrible situation i almost got deported back to Africa but the mesmerizing thing is the CSBC border officers were amazed about my guts so instead of deporting me they gave me 90 days to go and fix my shit outside Canada.

Furthermore, i have applied for restoration of status its exactly 4 weeks now no response, on the other hand i am preparing for my IELTS i have Canadian Education( Graduate Diploma), Masters from Africa, BSC and work experience so i want to put in for permanent residence before my 90days visitors permit expires, wait for IRCC final decision and lastly, hope i get an ITA for the express entry.

All in all, i have since stopped working, stopped going to school, but i work as an independent contractor with Skip the dishes. My question is? am i doing the right thing or do i stand any chance of getting deported? I am fully established in Canada and going back home is not an option as the inflation has surpassed double digits. Advice and prayers please!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Well so its standard not to get enrollment letter unless fees are paid at pretty much any university.
Did you try and get PGWP by flagpolling without completing your studies? I didn't understand.
Restoration can take months and you are not allowed to work or study during restoration so you are working illegally, so beware of that.
If you applied in time with the required docs tou should get it.
About express entry, do you have the required points? Since you havent graduated I dont think you have improved your points by being in Canada, and Express Entry can take a while so you will probably need to go home at some point at least temporarily.

Reactions: scylla

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017

A friend of mine had the same problem. Go for a immigration lawyer. I am not saying consultants cant help but she met 2 consultants and finally took help from a lawyer and got the issue fixed. I am not even talking about the money now :). Honestly, these processes are supposed to be so simple but you can never know what could go wrong.

Muche

Star Member
Dec 13, 2018
Hello guys help me
My study permit extension was refused without specific reasons but I'm just suspecting that its because i didn't include the enrollment letter from the college that i have studying as a full-time student,i only included the letter of enrollment from the college that I'm studying long-distance learning.and also i didn't include the transcript of the previous semesters.anyone can to help guys

Vee15

Oct 26, 2019
Hi has anyone gotten a restoration of status in the last month ? And what did it take to get an Approval did CIc ask for transcripts?