+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RESTORATION OF STATUS.

Qgqbs

Aug 8, 2018
Hey,

My study permit expired on the 11th of June. I had applied earlier on in April but got refused reason being that I had not provided a recently issued letter from my university stating my program , start date and if I’m a full or part time student which I suppose was meant to be a letter of enrolement. I had gone ahead to put in my letter of acceptance dated 2016.

I had to pay of my winter semester fees in order to get a letter of enrolement. The day after it was paid off ( July 25th), I went ahead to register for classes for fall 2018 and got an enrolement letter for the semester which I picked up a week later.

I finally submitted my application yesterday but I’m worried that it might not be approved since I used an enrolement letter for fall 2018 when I’m technically not meant to be in school by then because I don’t have a status in Canada. The processing time is also 33 days.

Help please!

Harvin31

Aug 25, 2018
Mine expired on 31 july, it passed by accident as i was in illusion that it was expiring in sept. I haven't submitted my application yet. But i will start the process from Monday.

I have couple of questions for you.
Did you take any lawyers help as of yet?
I will probably take help from International Student office, whatever they could offer.

I am also confused which enrollment letter should i submit. For fall or winter? As fall is going to pass in the decision itself. It takes 4 months right.

And if they refuse, i plan to take it to the court. I am not going to let go of them so easily. I mean we are humans, we make mistakes. For godsake, i invested $100,000 in tuition and now i can't even get my degree certified (i am only 2 courses away from finishing). Plus my degree programs offer letter said it was 4-5 years of length and they gave like 3.5 years permit, i mean what was that?.

You shouldn't worry either, rather prepare to fight head on. No matter what!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Mine expired on 31 july, it passed by accident as i was in illusion that it was expiring in sept. I haven't submitted my application yet. But i will start the process from Monday.

I have couple of questions for you.
Did you take any lawyers help as of yet?
I will probably take help from International Student office, whatever they could offer.

I am also confused which enrollment letter should i submit. For fall or winter? As fall is going to pass in the decision itself. It takes 4 months right.

And if they refuse, i plan to take it to the court. I am not going to let go of them so easily. I mean we are humans, we make mistakes. For godsake, i invested $100,000 in tuition and now i can't even get my degree certified (i am only 2 courses away from finishing). Plus my degree programs offer letter said it was 4-5 years of length and they gave like 3.5 years permit, i mean what was that?.

You shouldn't worry either, rather prepare to fight head on. No matter what!!
You don't need a lawyer to apply for Restoration.

Zero point in going to court if restoration is refused. By that time, you will have been out of status in Canada too long and there will be no way under the law to legalize your status from within the country. You would be wasting thousands of dollars for nothing. You would have to leave and apply for a new study permit from your country.

Harvin31

Aug 25, 2018
You don't need a lawyer to apply for Restoration.

Zero point in going to court if restoration is refused. By that time, you will have been out of status in Canada too long and there will be no way under the law to legalize your status from within the country. You would be wasting thousands of dollars for nothing. You would have to leave and apply for a new study permit from your country.
Yeah, i guess you don't really need an immigration lawyer. But one can always use some legal person as our representative for the application right! Wouldn't it be better if some legal person was consulted especially when writing an explanation letter.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yeah, i guess you don't really need an immigration lawyer. But one can always use some legal person as our representative for the application right! Wouldn't it be better if some legal person was consulted especially when writing an explanation letter.
Sure, you can use a legal rep if you want but honestly, there is no legal argument that a lawyer can provide for "forgot to renew the permit". An explanation doesn't count for more if it comes from a lawyer rather than yourself.

Provided you have sufficient proof of funds and don't do anything like work illegally while waiting for restoration, you have a very good chance of approval. I suggest you apply ASAP. You shouldn't have waited as long as you did. 4 months processing time is generally on the longer end; apps are occasionally processed much faster, sometimes even within weeks.

Reactions: jddd

Harvin31

Aug 25, 2018
Hey guys, I just answered document checklist questions. And in the end result, the main documents that i need are a letter of acceptance and financial support proof. It doesn't ask for explanation letter or anything of that sort.

Is it because i am asking for stay or extension of study permit of only 6 months? or is the document checklist the same for extension or restoration period longer than 6 months. As there seem a clear distinction bwt applicants asking 6 months and applicants demanding a longer period of stay!!

BT919

Mar 27, 2018
Sure, you can use a legal rep if you want but honestly, there is no legal argument that a lawyer can provide for "forgot to renew the permit". An explanation doesn't count for more if it comes from a lawyer rather than yourself.

Provided you have sufficient proof of funds and don't do anything like work illegally while waiting for restoration, you have a very good chance of approval. I suggest you apply ASAP. You shouldn't have waited as long as you did. 4 months processing time is generally on the longer end; apps are occasionally processed much faster, sometimes even within weeks.
How much do you need as proof of sufficient fund?