+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RESIDENT or NON-RESIDENT

PR2010

May 15, 2013
Hello to All,

I have been a PR of Canada since Oct. 2010 and although I had been living in the country since 2007 as a student.

Immediately after I got my PR in Oct. 2010, I left the country right away. My parents who are living abroad are in their late 70s and I thought I'd spend time with them after I had been away for 3 straight years.

In short, I only stayed in Canada as follows:
2010 - 10 days after I got my PR
2011 - 3 months to check on my rented condo and the car I left parked in the parking lot in the condo
2012 - 4 months
2013 - I returned in March 2013 and I think I am here to start staying for good

My question is this -- Am I correct in determining that for 2010 to 2013 I am a RESIDENT for taxation purposes because I continued to rent a condo through-out the years although I was outside the country; I kept credit cards and bank accounts in my name; kept a car with Canadian plate and kept my Canadian driver's license?

I know that if I counted the days each year I was in Canada, I would have qualified as a NON-RESIDENT, but because I kept my residential and secondary ties then I would qualify as RESIDENT for tax purposes.

I will appreciate your comments.

PR2010

May 15, 2013
If I can add, I have a spouse who stayed with me all the time I was abroad. I did not have any dependent in Canada while I was away. Would this info matter? Or would the residential ties mentioned above be enough.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
PR2010 said:
If I can add, I have a spouse who stayed with me all the time I was abroad. I did not have any dependent in Canada while I was away. Would this info matter? Or would the residential ties mentioned above be enough.
Have you been filing taxes for the last four years? If so, did you file as a resident or a non-resident?