+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Resident or Non Resident Tax

JagrutiD

May 4, 2020
I moved to Canada from US in Oct 2020. I live in Windsor but commute to US for work everyday. Along with that, I applied for spousal sponsorship for my wife in Jan 2021. Should I fill Canadian Resident or Non Resident Taxes since I am in Canada for 2 month only. How would it affect my sponsor application sponsor PR needs to be a Canadian Resident. Thanks.

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
Because you indicate that you "live in Windsor", it seems to me that you are a resident of Canada for tax purposes. Commuting to the US for work everyday doesn't change that situation (see below).

Here's an excerpt from the following link...

https://1040abroad.com/blog/moving-to-canada-learn-about-canadian-tax-residency/

Am I a tax resident of Canada?
There are 4 different types of resident and non-resident statuses for Canadian income tax purposes. You will be considered either a factual resident, deemed resident, a non-resident or a deemed non-resident. Let’s find out if you are a tax resident of Canada.

You are a factual resident for tax purposes if you:

• Keep significant residential ties in Canada while you live and travel outside the country
  • Working temporarily outside Canada
  • Teaching or attending school in a foreign country
  • Commuting from Canada to US workplace
  • Vacationing outside Canada
Just leaving Canada isn’t enough to stop being a resident for income tax purposes.