+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

residency requirement for minor

igmeder

Mar 8, 2015
Hello all. I got my Canadian citizenship last year. Afterwards, I sponsored my 5 years old daughter and now she lives with me in Canada with her PR. When can she apply for citizenship as a very young child? Does she have to wait 4 years as a PR or can she apply for the citizenship right away? I just want to double-check because I'm confused with what it says at CIC's web site below quoted:

"Time you have lived in Canada
You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1,460 days during the six years immediately before the date of your application. You must also be physically present for at least 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of application. These requirements do not apply to children under 18"

All the best and thank you in advance.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
it does not appear children under 18 need to follow the same residency requirement rules for citizenship, so it appears you can apply for her citizenship now, assuming she meets the criteria listed. see here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0003ETOC.asp

Who may use this application?

You may use this guide to apply for citizenship for your minor child. Read these instructions before you begin to fill out the application form. They contain important information.

Minor children must:

be under 18 years of age at the time of the application;
be a permanent resident of Canada;
have at least one parent (includes adoptive parent) who is a Canadian citizen or who will become a citizen at the same time as the child (applying together as a family).
Minor children must not:

be subject to any prohibition under the Citizenship Act (see section 11 of the application form CIT 0003); and/or
have any unfulfilled conditions relating to their permanent resident status; and/or
be under a removal order (asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right. As it says, the residency requirements do not apply for children under 18 so you can apply for your daughters citizenship right away.

The only requirements is that she is a PR and that you are either already a citizen or applying for citizenship at the same time.

Aug 22, 2017
Ju
Hello all. I got my Canadian citizenship last year. Afterwards, I sponsored my 5 years old daughter and now she lives with me in Canada with her PR. When can she apply for citizenship as a very young child? Does she have to wait 4 years as a PR or can she apply for the citizenship right away? I just want to double-check because I'm confused with what it says at CIC's web site below quoted:

"Time you have lived in Canada
You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1,460 days during the six years immediately before the date of your application. You must also be physically present for at least 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of application. These requirements do not apply to children under 18"

All the best and thank you in advance.
Just wondering if you went through