+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Questionnaire

amrfekry

Jan 28, 2016
Hi,
My wife and I have received Residency Questionnaire (CIT0171 E), while we were expecting test invite letter! Bad luck. Does it mean our applications have become non-routine and we shall expect further delay and even no time frame?.

Thanks,

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

NGE

Feb 15, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
29-01-2012
amrfekry said:
Hi,
My wife and I have received Residency Questionnaire (CIT0171 E), while we were expecting test invite letter! Bad luck. Does it mean our applications have become non-routine and we shall expect further delay and even no time frame?.

Thanks,
How many times and how long you stay out of Canada ?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
amrfekry said:
Hi,

Thanks,
yes, your application is non-routine now.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
amrfekry said:
Hi,

Thanks,
Yes, this means your applications are non-routine and will likely take longer than routine applications.

The actual amount of delay due to this, however, is unpredictable. It was incredibly long just a few years ago, and there are still some of those old residency cases still stuck in a very long process. Most indicators now suggest that IRCC is dealing with non-routine cases a lot more quickly than in previous years.

That said, a lot can depend on how well you respond to the RQ and what information and supporting documentation you submit. Be sure there are NO gaps in terms of covering work and address history, covering ALL months, with objective documentation to prove the employment and place of actual residence. If you make a complete and responsive submission, and you are indeed qualified (albeit better to be clearly qualified, obviously), the additional processing time could range from a couple or few months to several months.

If, however, your response leaves questions, if IRCC still has concerns, then the process can take a lot, lot longer. And, for example, if the response does not satisfy the assessing Citizenship Officer that you met the physical presence requirements, the application would be referred to a Citizenship Judge, and most reports suggest that this is still taking a very long time (more than a few taking well over a year, perhaps two years . . . recognizing that some 2011 and 2012 residency cases have taken more than four years to get resolved).

By the way, this is usually not a matter of bad luck. The process is very much fact-based and criteria-driven. Pre-test RQ can be triggered by more or less technicalities, in which case a prompt and thorough response from the qualified applicant will ordinarily (now, not back in 2011 to 2013 or even into 2014) resolve any concerns and the next steps (test, interview, and oath) should happen relatively in due course.

In contrast, for example, if the RQ was triggered by IRCC identifying a discrepancy between travel history reported by the applicant and what is indicated in the CBSA travel history, and the discrepancy affects either more than one trip or affects more than a very few days (there is some allowance for minor errors or omissions), that tends to be more problematic, leading to highly elevated scrutiny.

Similarly if the applicant does not submit a copy of ALL potentially relevant Travel Documents (not having and presenting a passport which could have been used during the relevant time period can be a real problem, can make it quite difficult for the applicant to meet the burden of proof).

Among other examples.

NGE

Feb 15, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
29-01-2012
dpenabill said:
Yes, this means your applications are non-routine and will likely take longer than routine applications.

The actual amount of delay due to this, however, is unpredictable. It was incredibly long just a few years ago, and there are still some of those old residency cases still stuck in a very long process. Most indicators now suggest that IRCC is dealing with non-routine cases a lot more quickly than in previous years.

That said, a lot can depend on how well you respond to the RQ and what information and supporting documentation you submit. Be sure there are NO gaps in terms of covering work and address history, covering ALL months, with objective documentation to prove the employment and place of actual residence. If you make a complete and responsive submission, and you are indeed qualified (albeit better to be clearly qualified, obviously), the additional processing time could range from a couple or few months to several months.

If, however, your response leaves questions, if IRCC still has concerns, then the process can take a lot, lot longer. And, for example, if the response does not satisfy the assessing Citizenship Officer that you met the physical presence requirements, the application would be referred to a Citizenship Judge, and most reports suggest that this is still taking a very long time (more than a few taking well over a year, perhaps two years . . . recognizing that some 2011 and 2012 residency cases have taken more than four years to get resolved).

By the way, this is usually not a matter of bad luck. The process is very much fact-based and criteria-driven. Pre-test RQ can be triggered by more or less technicalities, in which case a prompt and thorough response from the qualified applicant will ordinarily (now, not back in 2011 to 2013 or even into 2014) resolve any concerns and the next steps (test, interview, and oath) should happen relatively in due course.

In contrast, for example, if the RQ was triggered by IRCC identifying a discrepancy between travel history reported by the applicant and what is indicated in the CBSA travel history, and the discrepancy affects either more than one trip or affects more than a very few days (there is some allowance for minor errors or omissions), that tends to be more problematic, leading to highly elevated scrutiny.

Similarly if the applicant does not submit a copy of ALL potentially relevant Travel Documents (not having and presenting a passport which could have been used during the relevant time period can be a real problem, can make it quite difficult for the applicant to meet the burden of proof).

Among other examples.
Why CIC request RQ? Is it random or any other issue:- like travelling back home several times or out of Canada for a long time ?

Vic R

Mar 23, 2016
Hello amrfekry, did you stay for long time out of canada. in what situations do CIC issue this RQ. Did you receive your RQ after AOR of they issued RQ before.

Could you share your time line.

amrfekry said:
Hi,

Thanks,

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
NGE said:
Why CIC request RQ? Is it random or any other issue:- like travelling back home several times or out of Canada for a long time ?
Do a google search for "residence questionnaire" and also look at the following link:
https://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/about-2/rq-faq/

VraiVie

Star Member
Jun 6, 2015
amrfekry said:
Hi,

Thanks,
you had alot of travel? what did you send them in terms of docs. did you send all pages of the passport with stamps?

user3000

Mar 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amrfekry said:
Hi,

Thanks,
Hopefully your application should be processed soon once you submit the required evidence. Looking at your previous posts, your PR renewal went to Secondary Review and does that ever get approved ?. Also I saw a post from another member, who's PR renewal went to secondary review, and the person's citizenship application is still in process since June 2016 even though Test was done.. just trying to get some idea what triggers the RQ.

amrfekry

Jan 28, 2016
Thanks folks,
In addition to providing the required documentations ASAP, I am thinking to attach a letter explaining in logic my residence in Canada in relation with the stamps in the passports ( I have only 2 exits and 2entries in 6 years) and refer to the other evidences (frequent doctors visits, continuous rent, my continuous employment for 3 years and my credit card movement). I want just trying to simplify the analysis to the case officer. Is that considered a good and acceptable strategy?

Thanks,

user3000

Mar 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amrfekry said:
Thanks folks,
In addition to providing the required documentations ASAP, I am thinking to attach a letter explaining in logic my residence in Canada in relation with the stamps in the passports ( I have only 2 exits and 2entries in 6 years) and refer to the other evidences (frequent doctors visits, continuous rent, my continuous employment for 3 years and my credit card movement). I want just trying to simplify the analysis to the case officer. Is that considered a good and acceptable strategy?

Thanks,
Since yours is a family application, I believe your spouse also should provide the evidences for residency.

amrfekry

Jan 28, 2016
Hi, it is me again!
We received the questionnaire on Jan. 3rd 2017 and could collect most of the documents required and sent it on Jan 19, 2017 except the movement records and the very early proof of rent payment. I wrote an explanation that it will take more time to collect this information and as soon as I get it I will send it . Fortunately and unbelievably, we received a notice to appear to write the test. So great. My qualifications:
1. Shall I still required to send the pending documents (I have it already now) or provide it during the interview or having the test means passing this step?
2. Is it normal to have the notice for the test in a very short time (one week) after sending the required documents in the questionnaire?
3. Is there still any risks during the interview or after to delay the process again related to the questionnaire?

Thank you for your feedback,

Amr

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
amrfekry said:
Hi, it is me again!
We received the questionnaire on Jan. 3rd 2017 and could collect most of the documents required and sent it on Jan 19, 2017 except the movement records and the very early proof of rent payment. I wrote an explanation that it will take more time to collect this information and as soon as I get it I will send it . Fortunately and unbelievably, we received a notice to appear to write the test. So great. My qualifications:
1. Shall I still required to send the pending documents (I have it already now) or provide it during the interview or having the test means passing this step?
2. Is it normal to have the notice for the test in a very short time (one week) after sending the required documents in the questionnaire?
3. Is there still any risks during the interview or after to delay the process again related to the questionnaire?

Amr
1. Yes, you should still send the copies of the pending documents.
2. RQ can occur before and after test thus take the copies of the pending documents and existing supporting documents for the interview.
3. If officer determines more issues and is not satisfied, there would be additional document requests.

Bottom line, whatever you have sent already to cic and whatever is pending, make the copies of everything and keep it for your interview and send the pending documents asap.
Take originals and copies both during the test/interview

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
amrfekry said:
Hi, it is me again!

Amr
Your prompt response of at least most of what was requested would typically be a good thing.

It is, however, difficult to know what is normal in the RQ process these days since a lot has changed in the last couple years while reports from applicants experiencing RQ have been sparse. Most of what we know about RQ dates from before 2015.

Thus, for example, there is no base line against which to judge the import, or lack thereof, of being scheduled for the test so soon after submitting the response to the RQ.

Before 2015 this would have been highly unusual, the typical pre-test RQ timeline resulting in many months passing before the test and interview was scheduled. I do not think that offers much if any insight into what it means for you now. We know very little about RQ timelines these days.

I have some ideas but despite having followed RQ and residency cases extensively for many years now, in the current scheme of things so much is unknown I would be speculating wildly. Since the date for your test and interview is definitely now approaching, such speculating would be no more than a distraction.

Now is the time to prepare for the interview. I do not disagree with the suggestion by thecoolguysam, regarding sending remaining documents soon, but personally I would be inclined to hold on to the additional documents and take them with you to the interview, assuming it is coming up fairly soon, and recognizing that the deadline for submitting the response is still weeks off.

Be sure to take originals AND copies to submit to the interviewer.

Be sure you have all non-official language in any of your documents, including especially passport stamps, properly translated and authenticated, and again, be sure to have copies (either to submit or, if they want originals, copies to keep for your records).

As for further risks . . .

Of course there are further risks, but what those are, how much of a risk they are, depends on your history, your circumstances, what you submitted in the application, what you have submitted in response to the RQ so far, and what you are prepared to submit at the interview, and of course how you answer questions at the interview.

The nature and scope of risk really is case specific.

Since you have already been issued RQ, the risk of another RQ is remote although there could still be a request for particular additional documents (either the formal CIT 0520 or by letter or such). Odds are greater, however, IRCC will assess what you have submitted in conjunction with whatever you further submit, either by mail or in person at the interview.

If you definitely met the qualifications when you applied, and that is apparent in your application, and your response to the RQ supports and verifies the information submitted in the application, your risks are probably minimal. But of course no one here can reliably assess what your risks really are because, again, the nature and scope of your risk is very dependent on all the specific factors and circumstances of your case.

Worst case scenario would be a delay while the application is in queue for a Citizenship Officer to make a formal decision, and then in queue for the Citizenship Officer to prepare the referral to a Citizenship Judge. But based on what you know about your case you should have a good idea if you are much at risk for that.

OVERALL: While of course I cannot be sure, my sense is that the prompt scheduling of the test and interview is a rather good sign. Just gather your documents, your copies of what you have submitted so far, relax, be prepared to answer questions and able to point to particular documents which support your case, about where you have lived, what you have been doing, and so on.

Good luck. And please report back about how this goes.