+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Questionnaire

Chrome

Star Member
Oct 21, 2016
amrfekry said:
Hi, it is me again!
We received the questionnaire on Jan. 3rd 2017 and could collect most of the documents required and sent it on Jan 19, 2017 except the movement records and the very early proof of rent payment. I wrote an explanation that it will take more time to collect this information and as soon as I get it I will send it . Fortunately and unbelievably, we received a notice to appear to write the test. So great. My qualifications:
1. Shall I still required to send the pending documents (I have it already now) or provide it during the interview or having the test means passing this step?
2. Is it normal to have the notice for the test in a very short time (one week) after sending the required documents in the questionnaire?
3. Is there still any risks during the interview or after to delay the process again related to the questionnaire?

Thank you for your feedback,

Amr
Hi Amr,

Check out these links:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/grant/test.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/decision/interviews.asp

I think you still need to send the pending documents. You may send copies and take the originals with you to the interview.

Btw, Have you received your new PR card?

Good luck!

amrfekry

Jan 28, 2016
Thank you guys for your feedback.
I will keep you updated as soon as I have new news
Chrom >>>> I haven't received my PR yet.

elegant.heena

Star Member
Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
who gets a residency questionnaire.... what could be the reasons.... very scary....

it is becoz u apply just on the day when you qualify for the residency condition...

plz reply..

elegant.heena

Star Member
Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dpenabill said:
Your prompt response of at least most of what was requested would typically be a good thing.

It is, however, difficult to know what is normal in the RQ process these days since a lot has changed in the last couple years while reports from applicants experiencing RQ have been sparse. Most of what we know about RQ dates from before 2015.

Thus, for example, there is no base line against which to judge the import, or lack thereof, of being scheduled for the test so soon after submitting the response to the RQ.

Before 2015 this would have been highly unusual, the typical pre-test RQ timeline resulting in many months passing before the test and interview was scheduled. I do not think that offers much if any insight into what it means for you now. We know very little about RQ timelines these days.

I have some ideas but despite having followed RQ and residency cases extensively for many years now, in the current scheme of things so much is unknown I would be speculating wildly. Since the date for your test and interview is definitely now approaching, such speculating would be no more than a distraction.

Now is the time to prepare for the interview. I do not disagree with the suggestion by thecoolguysam, regarding sending remaining documents soon, but personally I would be inclined to hold on to the additional documents and take them with you to the interview, assuming it is coming up fairly soon, and recognizing that the deadline for submitting the response is still weeks off.

Be sure to take originals AND copies to submit to the interviewer.

Be sure you have all non-official language in any of your documents, including especially passport stamps, properly translated and authenticated, and again, be sure to have copies (either to submit or, if they want originals, copies to keep for your records).

As for further risks . . .

Of course there are further risks, but what those are, how much of a risk they are, depends on your history, your circumstances, what you submitted in the application, what you have submitted in response to the RQ so far, and what you are prepared to submit at the interview, and of course how you answer questions at the interview.

The nature and scope of risk really is case specific.

Since you have already been issued RQ, the risk of another RQ is remote although there could still be a request for particular additional documents (either the formal CIT 0520 or by letter or such). Odds are greater, however, IRCC will assess what you have submitted in conjunction with whatever you further submit, either by mail or in person at the interview.

If you definitely met the qualifications when you applied, and that is apparent in your application, and your response to the RQ supports and verifies the information submitted in the application, your risks are probably minimal. But of course no one here can reliably assess what your risks really are because, again, the nature and scope of your risk is very dependent on all the specific factors and circumstances of your case.

Worst case scenario would be a delay while the application is in queue for a Citizenship Officer to make a formal decision, and then in queue for the Citizenship Officer to prepare the referral to a Citizenship Judge. But based on what you know about your case you should have a good idea if you are much at risk for that.

OVERALL: While of course I cannot be sure, my sense is that the prompt scheduling of the test and interview is a rather good sign. Just gather your documents, your copies of what you have submitted so far, relax, be prepared to answer questions and able to point to particular documents which support your case, about where you have lived, what you have been doing, and so on.

Good luck. And please report back about how this goes.
what kind of documents do we send with initial application...
all i can think of language test certificate...

any other docs we need to send..??

plz guide..

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
elegant.heena said:
what kind of documents do we send with initial application...
all i can think of language test certificate...

any other docs we need to send..??

plz guide..
Everything you need to know you can find on CIC website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/citizen/CIT0007E-2.pdf
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

elegant.heena

Star Member
Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
who gets a residency questionnaire.... what could be the reasons.... very scary....

it is becoz u apply just on the day when you qualify for the residency condition...

plz reply..

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
elegant.heena said:

plz reply..
Similar to responses about what to include in the application, mostly follow the instructions. Read them carefully. Follow them as best you can understand what is requested based on your specific circumstances and information.

Wait to apply for at least a couple weeks longer than when the Presence calculator shows you qualify. How much longer than that depends on the individual's history and circumstances. I had reasons to wait a lot, lot longer. But many really do not need to wait much longer at all. How long to wait really is a very personal decision.

As for who gets RQ'd, there are way too many factors to attempt enumerating them in this post.

In the positive direction, a person who has been working near full time for all the years he or she has been in Canada, employed by an easily identified employer, and who has kept perfect records of all travels and who thus for-sure accurately reports all dates of travel, is probably fine with just a couple weeks margin over the minimum. In contrast, I was self-employed, and I export what I do, so I waited a lot, lot longer than that.

Getting RQ'd mostly means the applicant needs to submit a paper trail of their life in Canada, papers showing rental or ownership of a home, papers documenting where one worked or went to school, and so on, covering the whole time of course. If an applicant realizes they might be short some of the documentation, including any significant gaps in the papers, it might be better to wait longer. Again, it is a very personal decision, one to be made on the individual's own situation, including immigration history, travel history, and the extent to which the applicant was employed or otherwise can document activities in Canada over the course of the relevant time period.

Most applicants do not get RQ'd.

KrisR

Star Member
Dec 10, 2008
Hi Dpenabill and other forum members,

I wanted to get your inputs on my specific case scenario -

1.) I am a Canadian PR and I live in Windsor and commute to my job in the US in Detroit , every day

2.) I have been doing this for the last 4 years

3.) I had a successful PR renewal last year ( Had included a bunch of docs - Mortage docs , Entry exits, bills, school .medical records etc) .

I am now eligible to apply for my citizenship ( But i am waiting untill April 2017 to ensure /accounts for any lost days).

Now given my situation , I have a couple of questions

1.) Along with my citizenship application , should i include documentation (like i did for my PR application -exhaustive check listed documentation ) ->> Understand that the application does not ask for it but given that i travel 5 days of the week ( and come back in the same day) , my gut says to include additional documentation but wanted inputs as well ?

2.) As a part of the preparation , should i get FP requests fullfilled and ready to submit as well ?

Thank you for taking the time to read my case . My primary concern is Point 1 , where i feel for my case , i should give the extra docs
( The planned ones that i was going was -
1.) Tax Returns
2.) Entry /Exit , US and Canada
3.) Utililty bills ( random ones spanning different months), Credit card bills(Same)
4.) Older child's school records and younger child birth cert , spouse's pr card
5.) Medical records

Thank you for the feed back

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
KrisR said:
Hi Dpenabill and other forum members,

I wanted to get your inputs on my specific case scenario -

1.) I am a Canadian PR and I live in Windsor and commute to my job in the US in Detroit , every day

2.) I have been doing this for the last 4 years

3.) I had a successful PR renewal last year ( Had included a bunch of docs - Mortage docs , Entry exits, bills, school .medical records etc) .

I am now eligible to apply for my citizenship ( But i am waiting untill April 2017 to ensure /accounts for any lost days).

Now given my situation , I have a couple of questions

1.) Along with my citizenship application , should i include documentation (like i did for my PR application -exhaustive check listed documentation ) ->> Understand that the application does not ask for it but given that i travel 5 days of the week ( and come back in the same day) , my gut says to include additional documentation but wanted inputs as well ?

2.) As a part of the preparation , should i get FP requests fullfilled and ready to submit as well ?

Thank you for taking the time to read my case . My primary concern is Point 1 , where i feel for my case , i should give the extra docs
( The planned ones that i was going was -
1.) Tax Returns
2.) Entry /Exit , US and Canada
3.) Utililty bills ( random ones spanning different months), Credit card bills(Same)
4.) Older child's school records and younger child birth cert , spouse's pr card
5.) Medical records

Thank you for the feed back
It has been awhile since I have seen reports from Canada-to-U.S.-commuters regarding impact on citizenship application. This scenario has shown up in some documented actual cases addressed by the Federal Court, but none that I have noticed (I watch and try to read every citizenship decision that is published but perhaps occasionally miss one) dealing with the requirements under current law.

The problem is that obviously this scenario will draw far more intense scrutiny than the routine citizenship application and on the deserves-citizenship-scale it is most likely dominated by a waving big red flag . . . unless there are other factors and circumstances which in effect offset the negative optics of being barely half-settled in Canada.

In other words, it is easy to anticipate a high probability, in this scenario, that the applicant will face RQ and skepticism.

Of course there is no formal deserves-citizenship requirement. Only fools, however, will overlook how much this factor can impact the process.

In terms of submitting additional documents with the application, I strongly doubt that will have much if any impact on how things go. Maybe including Notices of Assessment will help, but for the most part it appears that the upfront screening does not assess residency/presence qualification beyond determining if the applicant has declared sufficient presence to qualify, and if yes, then determining whether there are any factors which warrant further inquiry, such as whether there are apparent ties abroad suggesting that IRCC needs to more thoroughly investigate presence. And it seems unlikely that IRCC will consider additional documents in making this preliminary assessment. That is, it is easy to guess the likelihood your employment in the States will trigger RQ. Maybe not, but that is what seems most likely. No matter what you include in the application.

Note that in the past, it was clear that the submission of additional documents would rarely, if ever, make any difference in whether or not RQ was issued. There were multiple cases in which applicants essentially submitted everything that would be submitted in responding to RQ and still were issued RQ and were compelled to respond . . . in addition to anecdotal reports of this, there was a Federal Court decision about this and there were internal CIC memos (this was back in 2013 when a number of us were making multiple ATI requests for general information related to the RQ process implemented by OB 407) in which local offices were instructed to require full response to RQ despite the inclusion of those documents in the original application.

Technically citizenship qualification is now based on presence, which the PR Residency Obligation has long been based on. So, the Canada-to-U.S.-commuter has a stronger case now than under the prior law when citizenship qualification was based on residency (albeit primarily calculated based on days present). One of the more salient Federal Court decisions did turn, in large part, on residency: the applicant acquired GC status and the CJ and the Court both totally discounted the time the commuter-applicant claimed to be present in Canada after that based on the applicant becoming a resident of the U.S. (even though his home continued to actually be in Canada) and therefore he was not entitled to credit for that time as a resident of Canada.

To be frank, I have not yet seen a reliable report of a successful citizenship application by a Canada-to-U.S.-commuter. There probably have been some. But how a case like this goes will probably have a lot more to do with how a Citizenship Officer approaches positive versus negative inferences and not so much on the technicalities . . . except the obvious technicality: it is the applicant's burden to prove presence in Canada for each of 1460 days at minimum.

Clue: if IRCC identifies any discrepancy in the declared travel, that could be enough to largely discount the applicant's accounting of days present. Unless you are absolutely sure about each and every border crossing date, be upfront about the probabilities of approximating. And, frankly, I suspect that much of a window for approximating could sabotage the application. Getting every date exactly right, or very close to that, might be important.

About discounting the applicant's travel declarations: make no mistake, if IRCC has reason to doubt the accuracy of the applicant's declarations, this can result in a determination the applicant has failed to prove presence . . . IRCC does not merely subtract questionable periods of time, but in effect can decide the applicant's account is not reliable and therefore the applicant has failed to prove presence. Some Federal Court decisions do reflect a more or less actual calculation of specific days but far more negative outcomes are based on concluding the applicant has not proven the actual number of days present and therefore has failed to prove qualification for citizenship.

Personally, I would wait to apply until you have a huge margin. And do as much as feasibly possible to be fully accurate about all cross-border trips. But how long to wait is a decision for you to make.

KrisR

Star Member
Dec 10, 2008
Thank you Dpenabill for the Detailed Response.

I am giving myself about 100 additional days . ( I qualified to apply for Citizenship based on presence/days by Dec end). I am planning to apply by April Mid.

I have a detailed account of the daily crossing that I do ( Plus cross referenced with Nexus Crossings ,US entries and Canadian Entries) . I do know of at least 7 to 8 people ( Given that i stay in Windsor ;) ,of applying and successfully getting it , the recent case being 2 months old but you never can be complacent :)

I will update this thread on my how my application goes .. Thank you again.

It has been awhile since I have seen reports from Canada-to-U.S.-commuters regarding impact on citizenship application. This scenario has shown up in some documented actual cases addressed by the Federal Court, but none that I have noticed (I watch and try to read every citizenship decision that is published but perhaps occasionally miss one) dealing with the requirements under current law.

The problem is that obviously this scenario will draw far more intense scrutiny than the routine citizenship application and on the deserves-citizenship-scale it is most likely dominated by a waving big red flag . . . unless there are other factors and circumstances which in effect offset the negative optics of being barely half-settled in Canada.

In other words, it is easy to anticipate a high probability, in this scenario, that the applicant will face RQ and skepticism.

Of course there is no formal deserves-citizenship requirement. Only fools, however, will overlook how much this factor can impact the process.

In terms of submitting additional documents with the application, I strongly doubt that will have much if any impact on how things go. Maybe including Notices of Assessment will help, but for the most part it appears that the upfront screening does not assess residency/presence qualification beyond determining if the applicant has declared sufficient presence to qualify, and if yes, then determining whether there are any factors which warrant further inquiry, such as whether there are apparent ties abroad suggesting that IRCC needs to more thoroughly investigate presence. And it seems unlikely that IRCC will consider additional documents in making this preliminary assessment. That is, it is easy to guess the likelihood your employment in the States will trigger RQ. Maybe not, but that is what seems most likely. No matter what you include in the application.

Note that in the past, it was clear that the submission of additional documents would rarely, if ever, make any difference in whether or not RQ was issued. There were multiple cases in which applicants essentially submitted everything that would be submitted in responding to RQ and still were issued RQ and were compelled to respond . . . in addition to anecdotal reports of this, there was a Federal Court decision about this and there were internal CIC memos (this was back in 2013 when a number of us were making multiple ATI requests for general information related to the RQ process implemented by OB 407) in which local offices were instructed to require full response to RQ despite the inclusion of those documents in the original application.

Technically citizenship qualification is now based on presence, which the PR Residency Obligation has long been based on. So, the Canada-to-U.S.-commuter has a stronger case now than under the prior law when citizenship qualification was based on residency (albeit primarily calculated based on days present). One of the more salient Federal Court decisions did turn, in large part, on residency: the applicant acquired GC status and the CJ and the Court both totally discounted the time the commuter-applicant claimed to be present in Canada after that based on the applicant becoming a resident of the U.S. (even though his home continued to actually be in Canada) and therefore he was not entitled to credit for that time as a resident of Canada.

To be frank, I have not yet seen a reliable report of a successful citizenship application by a Canada-to-U.S.-commuter. There probably have been some. But how a case like this goes will probably have a lot more to do with how a Citizenship Officer approaches positive versus negative inferences and not so much on the technicalities . . . except the obvious technicality: it is the applicant's burden to prove presence in Canada for each of 1460 days at minimum.

Clue: if IRCC identifies any discrepancy in the declared travel, that could be enough to largely discount the applicant's accounting of days present. Unless you are absolutely sure about each and every border crossing date, be upfront about the probabilities of approximating. And, frankly, I suspect that much of a window for approximating could sabotage the application. Getting every date exactly right, or very close to that, might be important.

About discounting the applicant's travel declarations: make no mistake, if IRCC has reason to doubt the accuracy of the applicant's declarations, this can result in a determination the applicant has failed to prove presence . . . IRCC does not merely subtract questionable periods of time, but in effect can decide the applicant's account is not reliable and therefore the applicant has failed to prove presence. Some Federal Court decisions do reflect a more or less actual calculation of specific days but far more negative outcomes are based on concluding the applicant has not proven the actual number of days present and therefore has failed to prove qualification for citizenship.

Personally, I would wait to apply until you have a huge margin. And do as much as feasibly possible to be fully accurate about all cross-border trips. But how long to wait is a decision for you to make.

[/quote]

amrfekry

Jan 28, 2016
Hello everybody,
Fortunately, we passed the test on Feb 21. During the interview, the officer didn't ask any questions related to the application. Just reviewed our passports and made sure that I provided a copy and translation with the questionnaire. She reviewed the originals of our passports, PR cards and landing papers. She told me the processing officer will review the documents and will send you the the invitation to attend the ceremony in two to three weeks. I hope that will be the end of the journey.

Sa3Sa3

Apr 11, 2012
Saskatoon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2012-07-27
amrfekry said:
Hello everybody,
Fortunately, we passed the test on Feb 21. During the interview, the officer didn't ask any questions related to the application. Just reviewed our passports and made sure that I provided a copy and translation with the questionnaire. She reviewed the originals of our passports, PR cards and landing papers. She told me the processing officer will review the documents and will send you the the invitation to attend the ceremony in two to three weeks. I hope that will be the end of the journey.
Congrats!. Would you please share with us what did you translate and how? by yourself or through a notarizer or what ?

Would you also please share with us what is written in your ecas ? What was the message that they added to your lines before or after the RQ?

Thanks

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

amrfekry

Jan 28, 2016
Any documents asked for and not in English must be translated by a certified translator who is able to notarized it as well.
The RQ request was received by mail while ecas was showing In Process.

nofrills

Jun 5, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
AOR Received.
06-07-2015
Passport Req..
11-09-2015
LANDED..........
25-09-2015
Similar to responses about what to include in the application, mostly follow the instructions. Read them carefully. Follow them as best you can understand what is requested based on your specific circumstances and information.

Wait to apply for at least a couple weeks longer than when the Presence calculator shows you qualify. How much longer than that depends on the individual's history and circumstances. I had reasons to wait a lot, lot longer. But many really do not need to wait much longer at all. How long to wait really is a very personal decision.

As for who gets RQ'd, there are way too many factors to attempt enumerating them in this post.

In the positive direction, a person who has been working near full time for all the years he or she has been in Canada, employed by an easily identified employer, and who has kept perfect records of all travels and who thus for-sure accurately reports all dates of travel, is probably fine with just a couple weeks margin over the minimum. In contrast, I was self-employed, and I export what I do, so I waited a lot, lot longer than that.

Getting RQ'd mostly means the applicant needs to submit a paper trail of their life in Canada, papers showing rental or ownership of a home, papers documenting where one worked or went to school, and so on, covering the whole time of course. If an applicant realizes they might be short some of the documentation, including any significant gaps in the papers, it might be better to wait longer. Again, it is a very personal decision, one to be made on the individual's own situation, including immigration history, travel history, and the extent to which the applicant was employed or otherwise can document activities in Canada over the course of the relevant time period.

Most applicants do not get RQ'd.
Hi dpenabill - what would be a significant gap? For example, if I have tenancy agreements and work documentation covering the entire relevant 5 year period.

But would it be appropriate to demonstrate chequing account statements from every single month (60 months) ?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
. . . what would be a significant gap? For example, if I have tenancy agreements and work documentation covering the entire relevant 5 year period.

But would it be appropriate to demonstrate chequing account statements from every single month (60 months) ?
These judgments are not rooted in exact science. In fact, they are not rooted in science at all.

There are many variables in play. While all applicants should probably consider how well they can document their presence in Canada if RQ'd, recognizing that anyone can be RQ'd, the vast majority of applicants will not be RQ'd and probably have a minimal risk of being RQ'd. For an applicant with a low risk of RQ, gaps in their documentation may not be a concern, since there is a very low probability that IRCC will ask for such documentation, for such evidence/proof.

An applicant with a higher risk for RQ will want to be a lot more cautious, a lot more diligent about gathering and keeping records which will show where he or she was living, and where he or she was working.

A lot is mostly common sense.

But, for the applicant who is RQ'd, a month gap is a gap. That does not mean the applicant might need to show direct documentation for every month. A lease agreement covering 18 months, for example, with some documentation to show some payments, some early in the lease period, some toward the end, should cover the full 18 months.

And yes, proof of working at a location in Canada during a given month can offset the lack of documentation to show where the applicant was living that month. Does not go the other direction as well, but the more evidence there is to cover specific months, and the more that corroborates the overall pattern of living in Canada during that span in time, the more solid the applicant's case is, the more likely the processing agent and citizenship officer at IRCC will be satisfied.

But this just scratches the surface. Again, most qualified applicants have very little to worry about in this regard. Applicants who recognize some of their circumstances might raise questions or concerns (as I apprehended mine would) will simply want to approach making the application more cautiously, building a better, bigger buffer, making sure to keep records which show a paper trail of a life lived in Canada JUST IN CASE they do get RQ'd.