+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency obligations and potential issues for remote worker

buzzard

Star Member
Dec 7, 2019
Hi Everyone,

If someone can chime in on this.
I got my PR on July 2021 while I was living and working in Canada. In Jan of 2022, I had to leave Canada and return to my home country to take care of some personal work. My employer agreed to let me work remotely from my home country and I am still working from here. I plan to return to Canada may be by end of 2023 to continue my employment. I would like to know if there are any potential issues/red flags that you see for renewal of my PR card at the end of the 5 year term which will be in December 2026. Have any of you gone through similar situation and if you see and issues that may be point of concern at the time of renewal. I so far have 6 months of stay and I have to have another year and half of stay in Canada to qualify for PR renewal. I've also been paying my taxes in Canada during this time.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone,

I got my PR on July 2021 while I was living and working in Canada. In Jan of 2022, I had to leave Canada and return to my home country to take care of some personal work. My employer agreed to let me work remotely from my home country and I am still working from here. I plan to return to Canada may be by end of 2023 to continue my employment. I would like to know if there are any potential issues/red flags that you see for renewal of my PR card at the end of the 5 year term which will be in December 2026. Have any of you gone through similar situation and if you see and issues that may be point of concern at the time of renewal. I so far have 6 months of stay and I have to have another year and half of stay in Canada to qualify for PR renewal. I've also been paying my taxes in Canada during this time.

As long as you have at least 730 days of physical residency in Canada within the previous five years at the time you submit the application, you'll be fine. Assume that your time spent outside of Canada cannot be counted towards RO. Only count time physically spent in Canada. But it looks like you have plenty of room to meet this requirement.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

Based on your information your 5 year`term' should be July 2026, not December. The expiry date of your PR card is irrelevant. it's 5 years from the date that you landed and became a PR of Canada.

It's a moot point if you stick to your proposed plan, to return by year's end, as you will have a surplus of days towards the R.O..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,

You need to contact CRA to determine your tax residency status. Your tax residency status is not only dependent on how much time you spend in Canada. Have you informers CRA that you left Canada? You are required to do so. At the same time you can ask them to determine your tax residency status. Not being a resident of Canada has significant impacts on how your employer can pays you.