+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Obligation

OmSai1304

Mar 17, 2022
Hi everyone!

I got my PR in 2019 and I have until June 2022 to enter the country. I couldn't travel earlier due to personal reasons. I had intended to travel in 2021 but my mother fell sick due to Covid aftermath (she got pneumonia and she was in the ICU with the doctor saying she had only a few days left to live). So I wanted to be by her side till she got better. Now in January 2022 I got Covid and I am still recuperating. I wanted to know if I can still enter Canada after the PR expires ( by October) and stay for 2 straight years and then apply for a renewal? Also, after the PR expires how should I travel to Canada and what are the required documents?

Also, say none of the above works, can I apply from scratch in the FSW process again and get a PR without any scrutiny?

Thank you!

Princes2020

Jan 1, 2020
Hi everyone!

I got my PR in 2019 and I have until June 2022 to enter the country. I couldn't travel earlier due to personal reasons. I had intended to travel in 2021 but my mother fell sick due to Covid aftermath (she got pneumonia and she was in the ICU with the doctor saying she had only a few days left to live). So I wanted to be by her side till she got better. Now in January 2022 I got Covid and I am still recuperating. I wanted to know if I can still enter Canada after the PR expires ( by October) and stay for 2 straight years and then apply for a renewal? Also, after the PR expires how should I travel to Canada and what are the required documents?

Also, say none of the above works, can I apply from scratch in the FSW process again and get a PR without any scrutiny?

Thank you!
As per readings on this forum I think you can enter via USA in private car with expired PR card. You’ll need US visa though. Once you’re in canada, get your card renewed and spend your 2 years residency requirement. Let’s see what others suggest.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone!

Thank you!
Chances are fairly good that you won't be reported if you enter Canada in 2022 but it is important to enter as soon as possible. Bring proof of your covid infection and proof of treatment needed for recovery plus proof that your mother was hospitalized in case you are questioned. You will need to plan on remaining in Canada for 2 straight years when you enter. You can't sponsor anyone until you are compliant with your RO.

OmSai1304

Mar 17, 2022
As per readings on this forum I think you can enter via USA in private car with expired PR card. You’ll need US visa though. Once you’re in canada, get your card renewed and spend your 2 years residency requirement. Let’s see what others suggest.

Thank you! Should I apply for the US visitor visa right away?

OmSai1304

Mar 17, 2022
Chances are fairly good that you won't be reported if you enter Canada in 2022 but it is important to enter as soon as possible. Bring proof of your covid infection and proof of treatment needed for recovery plus proof that your mother was hospitalized in case you are questioned. You will need to plan on remaining in Canada for 2 straight years when you enter. You can't sponsor anyone until you are compliant with your RO.
Sure. Thank you!
I do have my Covid test results, my mother's reports. Also, would it be an issue if I go by air and not by road? I'm not sure how easy it will be to get a US visitor visa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you! Should I apply for the US visitor visa right away?
Yes, I would apply for the US visitor visa now. They are very backlogged and right now interview spots are only available in 2023 to get a visa. Although once you apply and get an interview spot, you can try snagging an earlier interview window so that you have a chance of being issued a visa in 2022.