+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency obligation

rakeshsikka37

Nov 27, 2008
Hi There,

I was in canada from jan 2005 to july 2005.My filed divorce case in India and notice was served through indian embassy in canada where I was staying.Since it was family emergency so I have to rush back to India.various councilling session was done however matter could not be resolved so finally we had a mutual divorce on november 2007 and I return back to canada on april 2008.My card expired on may 2008.i applied for renewal which i rec back on nov 2008 saying that I didnot meet my residency obligation.certain information was asked on nov 2008 and i am in process of appilying.

However I have my renewal on the basis on the basis of Humantarian and compensationate ground as I have to rush back due to family emergency.My daughter custody was involved so I have to stay outside canada for more than 3 years.

Please guide me how to tackle this.

Best Regards

Rakesh

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's probably better if you hire an immigration lawyer to help you out. In hindsight, you should not have applied for a new PR card as soon as you did. This is for anybody else who is in the same situation as well. If you are borderline with your residency, don't apply for a new PR card until you are sure that you meet the residency requirements. There is no law in Canada that says you have to have a valid PR card at all times, only if you are travelling.

rakeshsikka37

Nov 27, 2008
Hi,

Thanks however I was not aware of that problably that is why I committed such a blunder.But now what is remedy.Any takers pls.

Regards

zuzu

Star Member
Nov 14, 2008
solution is you cannot go out of canada if you want to renew your card. fulfill the requirement once you do reapply for PR card. So sit back in canada until then, you're locked that is if you want to keep your PR status

btw Leon has already given you remedy: goto lawyer