+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Obligation - options at this time?

Hellfish

Oct 23, 2019
Hi,

Seeking some advice and guidance on my case below.

PR status gained Aug 2010
PR card expired Aug 2015

So long story short - I was employed in Europe and returned there in September 2010 after spending only a month in Canada.

Gained EU citizenship in 2012 and moved to US. Gained US citizenship in 2018. Visited Canada twice with EU passport and had no problem crossing the border by land (June 2015) and by immigration (August 2014).

Married in June 2013 to US citizen and had child in August 2018. Spouse only is US citizen and child is US and EU citizen.

I have valid and new passport from my home country (non-EU) that I immigrated on. Passport has been used sparingly and not since June 2011.

All these lead to the questions below:

1. Can I cross the land border and stay 2 years to try to renew card?
2. Can my family accompany me? What will be there status?
3. Can I go to a province other than the one I immigrated to? Specifically Quebec?
4. Which passport should I use to cross the border?

Thanks in advance!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. You can try. You may be reported, but since you seem to be in the habit of collecting visa-exempt passports, you may not be.

2. Your wife and children will have visitor status in Canada if they come. You can't sponsor them to PR status in Canada until you have met your residency obligation. They can't stay in Canada for more than six months. Any interaction you have with IRCC (such as being named on a visitor status extension application) puts you at risk of being reported.

3. If you can get in and not be reported, sure. Be aware that in two years, if you wish to sponsor your family to PR in Quebec, you need to follow Quebec specific immigration procedures.

4. Unsure.

My question for you:

Are you serious about settling in Canada, or are you just collecting passports for the fun of it?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

Seeking some advice and guidance on my case below.

PR status gained Aug 2010
PR card expired Aug 2015

So long story short - I was employed in Europe and returned there in September 2010 after spending only a month in Canada.

Gained EU citizenship in 2012 and moved to US. Gained US citizenship in 2018. Visited Canada twice with EU passport and had no problem crossing the border by land (June 2015) and by immigration (August 2014).

Married in June 2013 to US citizen and had child in August 2018. Spouse only is US citizen and child is US and EU citizen.

I have valid and new passport from my home country (non-EU) that I immigrated on. Passport has been used sparingly and not since June 2011.

All these lead to the questions below:

1. Can I cross the land border and stay 2 years to try to renew card?
2. Can my family accompany me? What will be there status?
3. Can I go to a province other than the one I immigrated to? Specifically Quebec?
4. Which passport should I use to cross the border?

Thanks in advance!
1. Yes, if you enter without being reported and stay for 2 years, you can renew your card.

2. They can enter as visitors. They will not have access to healthcare, your spouse will not be allowed to work or study, your children may not be able to attend school or may be required to pay international student fees of $15k per year each, and they will be reliant on extending their visitor status the entire 2 years. At any point, IRCC could refuse and tell them to leave Canada.

3. Yes. You may face issues getting provincial health coverage yourself with an expired PR card.

4. Doesn't matter.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
1. You can try. You may be reported, but since you seem to be in the habit of collecting visa-exempt passports, you may not be.

2. Your wife and children will have visitor status in Canada if they come. You can't sponsor them to PR status in Canada until you have met your residency obligation. They can't stay in Canada for more than six months. Any interaction you have with IRCC (such as being named on a visitor status extension application) puts you at risk of being reported.

3. If you can get in and not be reported, sure. Be aware that in two years, if you wish to sponsor your family to PR in Quebec, you need to follow Quebec specific immigration procedures.

4. Unsure.

My question for you:

Are you serious about settling in Canada, or are you just collecting passports for the fun of it?
Visitor extension apps for the family would not trigger any investigation into OP.

Hellfish

Oct 23, 2019
How do you know if you’re reported? Are you notified at the border?

Also, would it worth abandoning the pr status and re-applying to Quebec?

And to answer an earlier question. Not doing for the fun of it. Things played out in a fashion that has led to these circumstances. Now looking to return to Canada as my child will be starting school and Quebec is very appealing..

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You'll be notified at the border if you're reported.

It will take 2 years before you can sponsor your child - that's two years of questionable or little access to school without paying large fees.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Unless I missed it the OP did not say whether they had a SIN which if they do not might be a challenge to get immediately and of course without a SIN cannot work if that is the intention..

Hellfish

Oct 23, 2019
I do have a SIN. Is that all that is needed to work?

any insight on difficulties for health insurance in Quebec?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I do have a SIN. Is that all that is needed to work?

any insight on difficulties for health insurance in Quebec?
Without being able to show a valid PR you could run into problems. Your SIN is likely to be on hold as well. Do you qualify to immigrate? That would be much faster for your whole family. You are likely looking at 4-6 months after your PR is renounced. You would have to land in another province but could move to Quebec afterwards. What is your CRS score. Seems like above 460 is the safe zone.