+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency obligation for PR Renewal

DreamMagii

Jul 11, 2012
I will be arriving back into Canada, one month before my PR card expires, and i have now realised that i will have an unavoidable shortfall of 20 days toward my residency obligation for renewing PR Card. Should i expect to be rejected at the airport? When using my PR Card, do i get screened by an officer or just scan my card and walk through? I am hoping to scan through, and then be physically present in Canada for 730 days, so that i meet my residency obligation before renewing PR?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I will be arriving back into Canada, one month before my PR card expires, and i have now realised that i will have an unavoidable shortfall of 20 days toward my residency obligation for renewing PR Card. Should i expect to be rejected at the airport? When using my PR Card, do i get screened by an officer or just scan my card and walk through? I am hoping to scan through, and then be physically present in Canada for 730 days, so that i meet my residency obligation before renewing PR?
It's all down to luck if you are not in compliance with the Residency Obligation. You may, or may not, get stopped by the primary line and sent to secondary immigration officers.

Reactions: Buletruck

xMadMaxx

Feb 17, 2016
Saudi Arabia
LANDED..........
28-04-2007
Having a valid PR will most probably get you back into Canada (Primary line or secondary). But there might be a big chance that they will flag you and when you apply to renew your PR you are most probably will be called in for an interview.
But again luck has a factor as well :)

Ushar

Aug 25, 2018
Hi I need help pls.. the entire family has secured pr card that expires on sep2020. None of us till date have met RO. While my elder son has moved this year for masters his or is saved and he will be able to meet the RO. My younger son is keen on settling there next year as he is currently pursuing 12th grade and becomes major next year - 18 years. He still has 1 year left but wants to study undergrad and settle there.

A. Will he be allowed to study for 4 years there even after his or expiry
B. Can he get pr card renewed
C. He is not interested to leave the country for next 2 years .. so after his 730 days RO can he apply for renewal ( or would have expired)
D.what does he loose during that 1 year of expired or card

Your answers will definetly help me

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi I need help pls.. the entire family has secured pr card that expires on sep2020. None of us till date have met RO. While my elder son has moved this year for masters his or is saved and he will be able to meet the RO. My younger son is keen on settling there next year as he is currently pursuing 12th grade and becomes major next year - 18 years. He still has 1 year left but wants to study undergrad and settle there.

A. Will he be allowed to study for 4 years there even after his or expiry
B. Can he get pr card renewed
C. He is not interested to leave the country for next 2 years .. so after his 730 days RO can he apply for renewal ( or would have expired)
D.what does he loose during that 1 year of expired or card

Your answers will definetly help me

Thanks
The expiry dates on your PR cards mean nothing. You need meet 2 out of 5 year RO from your landing date. Your younger son could be reported for not meeting his residency requirement when he arrives for university. If he doesn't get reported he should not leave for at least 730 days. He can apply for renewal bu it will likely require secondary examination which can take up to a year. He doesn't lose much because a PR card is a travel document although some schools require you to show a valid PR card to qualify for domestic fees.

Reactions: Ushar

Ushar

Aug 25, 2018
Thanks much for the reply. What does it mean if he gets reported for not meeting his residency requirement .. Will he be not allowed into the country

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks much for the reply. What does it mean if he gets reported for not meeting his residency requirement .. Will he be not allowed into the country
What it means is that whilst as a PR he will be entitled to enter Canada, but if reported it will start the process to revoke his PR status subject to appeal. As part of that appeal he could I guess use the fact that he was removed from Canada as a minor and put forward an H&C case to retain his PR status.

There is of course no way to predict being reported or not just depends on the CBSA officer at the time, sometimes even down to how busy immigration is at the time. On the positive side if arriving next year will still at least have a valid PR card when entering Canada even though having not met RO not advisable to renew come Sept 2020 until RO met again.