+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Obligation - 2 years

Raza

Aug 6, 2007
Hi,

We became permanent residents on 20th November 2004 but left Canada after 3 weeks. Have paid about three short visits since then and stayed for few weeks. Now intend to relocate finally by 30th October 2007.

Need your help to check on whether we meet the residency obligation.

1. Do we meet with the residency obligation if we move by 30th Oct 2007?
2. Whether our stays during short visits will be counted towards 730 days (2 years) ?

Would be grateful for your comments.

Regards

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Raza said:
Hi,

We became permanent residents on 20th November 2004 but left Canada after 3 weeks. Have paid about three short visits since then and stayed for few weeks. Now intend to relocate finally by 30th October 2007.

Need your help to check on whether we meet the residency obligation.

1. Do we meet with the residency obligation if we move by 30th Oct 2007?
2. Whether our stays during short visits will be counted towards 730 days (2 years) ?

Would be grateful for your comments.

Regards
Yes, and Yes, but note you will have to reside in Canada for the following 2 years except for the time in the previous 3 years that you were in Canada.

PMM

Abhi2285

Mar 7, 2017
Hello,

My wife & I got Canada Visa (Saskatchewan Province) which is expiring in July 2017.

We cant go there for long term as of now.

Question 1 - > Can we both go there for 1-2 weeks,apply for PR and provide a local address and come back?

Question 2 - > Once PR Card arrives, our friend can courier us that?

Question 3 - > Then we can go to Canada later whenever we want to?

Are the above options possible and legal?

Regards,
Abhishek

rrajendra

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
Assuming you are a permanent resident(landed immigrant) of Canada, here are my thoughts

Question 1 - > Can we both go there for 1-2 weeks,apply for PR and provide a local address and come back?
Answer: Yes

Answer: Yes, but CIC itself does not send PR to a foreign address, so a grey area

Yes

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
rrajendra said:
Assuming you are a permanent resident(landed immigrant) of Canada, here are my thoughts

Answer: Yes

Answer: Yes, but CIC itself does not send PR to a foreign address, so a grey area

Yes
re q3 the OP must reside in Canada for 2 years out of 5 years from the time they land in Q1 else they could lose PR for failing to meet residency obligation. Maximum time out of Canada for this to not happen would be 3 years so whilst yes the OP can go to Canada whenever there are obligations to be met to retain PR.